Which Cycle Analyst to Buy For Geared Hub?

Tom

1 kW
Hi, I'm looking to build my first ebike and considering a Cycle Analyst. Which one should I get? I will be using a BMC rear geared hub and hope to use the standard 36V / 25A controller but may upgrade the controller later if I need more juice.

Cycle Analyst EV EBike Power Meter Direct Connect Model

Cycle Analyst EV EBike Power Meter Stand Alone Model

Is it worth the extra money for the stand alone model? Or do I need to get the version with a separate speedometer cable due to the geared hub?

You do need the separate speedometer cable with the BMC motor if you want to measure distance traveled (and all the calculations the CA derives from distance). This is because the BMC's internal freewheel allows the motor to not turn when coasting or under pedal power, so there's no hall signals for the CA to calculate speed from.

You need the " Standalone with spedometer cable " ..

If your BMC motor is using a clyte controller, you could use an integrated model with spedometer cable so that you don't have a shunt inline between the batteries and controller.. but get the standalone model imo, allows you to use it for recharging and various other things.. :mrgreen:

Thanks, so does the "stand alone" version include a speedometer cable? The ebikes.ca order page implies the appropriate verion is the "Direct Plug-in Cycle Analyst w/ Separate Speedometer Cable". They don't seem to offer a stand alone w/ speedometer cable option.

See here: http://www.ebikes.ca/store/store_accessories.php

The Stand alone comes with speedometer cable. You can see it in the product photo.

The only one that does NOT have the seedo cable is the one at the top, the CA-DP.

Ypedal said:
the standalone model imo, allows you to use it for recharging and various other things.. :mrgreen:

How do you use it for recharging? If I hooked it up between the battery's on / off switch and the controller, would I leave the switch ON while charging, so the DrainBrain is powered up while charging, and just watch the values increase?

Or would I have to hook up the DrainBrain in a completely different configuration to monitor while charging?

What do people use the CA for charging anyway? Thanks. :?:

Back