Who has built their own vehicle "from scratch"?

I am currently building a race car. Not many pics yet . Still trying to get axles fabricated (repurposed 2000 Ford Mustang rear end). Have tires and wheels lined up. Then there is the small matter of money to be gathered!

rbarns said:
I am currently building a race car. Not many pics yet . Still trying to get axles fabricated (repurposed 2000 Ford Mustang rear end). Have tires and wheels lined up. Then there is the small matter of money to be gathered!

Is that rear end c-clip 8.8? Exploders use the same, maybe Rangers.

From scratch, do you mean custom frame, custom body? Because that is way to much work. Using the rolling chassis and body is the only way to go.

Not a race car but I have built both a human power and electric amphibious cycles from scratch recently. Before that I have built many powered ‘surfboards’ from scratch. Now building MONSTER scooter, amphibious ‘surfboard’.

All builds shown below were started with a pile of tubing & recycled parts. None were sold.

This trike I built for Dad based on a mobility scooter 750W rear drive assy. 4130 frame (mid-frame separates for transporting) - 28V Milwaukee packs - Speed restricted to 12mph - 130lbs originally, 65lbs pictured. Dad rode it everywhere for almost 4 years, then fried the controller.

1704277627143.jpeg

I've posted this trike before - based on an vintage, discarded 'granny' trike rear axle - Originally a pair of SLA's, then 2x 28V DeWalt packs, then 2x 28V Milwaukees, then 2x 40V 4Ah Craftsman packs - 4 motor replacements - 6 sets of tires over two decades. Was intended to be a proto, but rode so sweet I just couldn't let it die.
1704279322388.jpeg1704279379887.jpeg
x20w1z.jpg
papatoureasyclone.jpg
papapersonalride.JPG
Colonelsbuildjune06.jpgpapalwb.jpg

I built a few of these CF ape hangers but were only intended for my Tour Easy builds - (The TE clone shown above has one).
PaPas_CF_handlebar.jpg

Last edited:
That last pic shows the same Schwinn(?) trike "kit" piece that I based first the Delta Tripper and then SB Cruiser on (using pieces of the scrapped DT). Looks like it's even the same coppery-brown color. :) (under the primer someone sort of partially kinda used on it before I got it)
1704335279090.png

Nope, looked just like you see there, when I bought it from the bike shop out of their junk parts pile. ;)

It's actually pretty dang strong...real thick tubing both for the skinny frame and the "transaxle" tube.

After the decade it's seen in my service, I did finally shear thru the cotter pin between the input sprocket and the driveshaft several months back, IIRC. Replaced it "temporarily" with a crappy allen wrench tapped into the hole, and it's still working. (one of those soft-metal wrenches that comes with stuff you have to assemble, so I have a bajillion of them).

Last edited:
Yeah. Somewhat drawn in SW cause it’s a lot easier to build that way. I got a build thread somewhere. 80v 48ah, qs205, nuc 24f. 50 amp onboard charger with Level 2 plug. 85mph. The nuc is warrantied to 90v only which worked out great keeping the pack in the middle at 3.5-4.1v. Charging at 50a made it full in just 45 mins.

img_7230-webp.345489

View attachment IMG_7230.webp

Last edited:
Back