• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Why is there no Free-wheeling in Direct Drive Motors?

UCSB _emf

1 µW
Hey guys, quick question. A main drawback to direct drive motors is that when the battery dies, you then have to pedal against the regenerative resistance of the motor (turning the motor into a generator and charging the battery, which makes hard work for pedaling). Could you not just disconnect the motor leads from the battery (making the motor an open circuit) and then pedal normally? If the motor is an open circuit, it shouldn't generate any "regenerative current" because there is nowhere for the current to go. However, if this was true, I feel like every direct drive motor would have an option to toggle battery connection from the motor. Please let me know where I've gone wrong. Thanks!

Regen doesn't have to be on by default all the time.. that's a controller setting.

You will still have drag from the motor even if you completely disconnect it electrically because that is a characteristic of the motor. A freewheel is avoided because it prevents regenerative braking from being used.... which is a big upside of a DD.

if you like to pedal and freewheel a lot, a geared motor is ideal.

Some previous threads on this general subject
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/search.php?keywords=freewheel*+direct*&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=titleonly&sr=topics&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search
(there's others not in that list that I can't easily find due to limitations of PHPBB search, and since you don't reply to people helping you there's no reason for me to dig deeper than a 10-second search will find)

Back