Will my 80a 72v controller be spoiled if I use a 120v battery

Shah

1 µW
I have recently bought 2 60v 23ah battery discharge 80a and bought a series connector too. I was planning to make it to a 120v battery. I just want to test my freeload and maybe just a short ride to test its top speed. Will full throttling it melt my 72v controller? 48v-72v 80a yyk controller. There is a current and phase limit in the Bluetooth app. Will those help anything out to prevent the controller from being spoilt?

Yes, you will cause damage, not sure what the voltage of the caps would be but my guess would have been 100V. You can open up the controller and see what the ratings are for the caps and fets. You could probably check out the HKSUNWIN thread for the spreadsheet on 72V, mosfet #'s and cap #'s.

Shah said:
I have recently bought 2 60v 23ah battery discharge 80a and bought a series connector too. I was planning to make it to a 120v battery. I just want to test my freeload and maybe just a short ride to test its top speed. Will full throttling it melt my 72v controller? 48v-72v 80a yyk controller. There is a current and phase limit in the Bluetooth app. Will those help anything out to prevent the controller from being spoilt?

markz said:
Yes, you will cause damage, not sure what the voltage of the caps would be but my guess would have been 100V. You can open up the controller and see what the ratings are for the caps and fets. You could probably check out the HKSUNWIN thread for the spreadsheet on 72V, mosfet #'s and cap #'s.

Shah said:
So it will probably run on 84 volts then, but about my Controller will it be able to handle it just for a minute or in a matter of seconds and it will be done

The 120 volts is on the input to the controller. I predict a large quantity of Magic Smoke.
One you let the Magic Smoke escape it is not likely to ever work properly again.

YES I have a lot of things I smoked in the past and some I'll Never smoke again I wouldn't smoke it. You want some good smoke come to California.

Might as well ask if a 120v lightbulb would fry if you feed it 240v.

Mosfets and capacitors in 72v controllers are rated 92v, some are 100v. That is the max full charge battery voltage that you can plug on it. Higher than that, they will fry instantly. Then if you feed it with a 20s or 24s battery, understand that the software won’t take into account the extra power that the higher voltage will make, so it might run hot somedays. We prefer low resistance mosfets for that purpose, beef the traces with copper mesh and solder, and replace power and phase wires with 8ga silicon. Then you can trick the controller feeding much higher power.

For 120v, you need a controller with bigger mosfets and capacitors, normally rated 132v or so.

Back