Winter Riding, keeping warm.

LI-ghtcycle

10 MW
I have some ideas on how to do this, but I am really interested in how YOU have done it. I have used "hippo hands" (I have heard of another brand called "pogies") in the past with motorcycles:

expedition-pogies1.jpg

I am also interested in a different take, warm gloves and a heated inner glove:

inner_glove.jpg

http://www.batteryheatedclothing.com/products/Inner-Glove-Liners-(Pair).html

I stumbled upon these when I went to see a local importer of Chinese RC components (he's on 119th & Stark if your in Portland, PM me for directions), and I think they are really solidly built, and run on one 3AH 3.7V LiPo battery for 4 - 6 hours. I'm thinking I might get these + some lobster gloves:

41gBmOG91rL._SS500_.jpg

I really like this concept, they are water resistant, but not designed to be submerged, anyone tried anything like this?

but I'm not sure if that is the route I should go, I don't really like the pogies because you can't see inside them, and if you slip your hand outside and need get your hand back in quickly, this can be a real problem, not to mention when I had them on my motorcycle, they had a tendency to weigh on the levers enough to partially engage my clutch, and I can imagine the same would be true with bicycle brake levers, and if you have E-Bike brakes, you might have the motor cuting-out unexpectedly.

I will have a fairing to keep the wind off me while I am going through the mountain passes, but I really haven't thought too much about how I will protect my hands. I like the idea of this heated glove, and I could pretty easily run them off my main battery pack + DC to DC converter.

Thoughts?

Couldn't you just stitch some type of waterproof canvas on the outside with it connecting to an insulated cloth on the inside? figure it couldnt be to difficult. I am new at this, but I know foam is a good insulator. Referring to top picture.

Good idea on the gloves, cold hands and feet are one of the worst thing about winter riding. You are going to lose some dexterity on your throttle & brake but it's better than frozen fingers. I think I'll order a pair! Thanks LI-ghtcycle

Well, I guess that is a "yes" for my idea he he :wink:

I'm going to get some samples of the thin gloves that go inside other gloves, they are still being manufactured, so they should be available in a week or 2, just in time for my trip! Now I REALLY need to get to work on the fairing .. .running out of time! Sold a couple bike today so that gives me a little more cash to work with, should be buying some cor-plast soon! :mrgreen:

I plan to just make a small windshield covering the handgrips. Wind is what freezes your body parts in the cold. You won't get sweaty on hills either.

I have tried them all - only ones that stood up = Ice Armour fishing gloves - yes - not mitts gloves. You can stick your glove in cold water then go riding around at 40 below and your hands will never get cold. Great grip and for this old die hard John Deere snowmobile collector there is nothing better. You do not need wind guards or hand warmers or any other gadget with these - I have ridden at 45 below for several hours at 35 plus miles per hour and even compressing your grip on ice cold handle bars did not produce cold hands. If they ever make an electric snowmobile - I'll be wearing these to ride it! :wink:

I use a thick lambfur overmitt with thinner wool finger gloves. The thin gloves let me pull my hands out of the mitts and do dextrous things w/o instant frostbite, while the combination inner-outer is warm enough for riding.

I found some Norwegian army surplus inner and outer glove kit that I will try this winter. It's a three finger, but a bit differently laid out than the usual army one. I'd be surprised if it is better than the good old lambfur though.

Main problem with winter riding and thick gloves is shifting. My mitts are to think to reach the gear-down lever on the typical Shimano trigger shifts. The old style rapid fire with the upshift on the underside and downshift on the top o fthe brake levers work better in winter but are hard to find. SRAM shifters are a buit better because they can be downshifted by a press upward from below with the thumb. No need to reach down with the mitten.

spinningmagnets said:
Don't forget military surplus "trigger' gloves. 50% wool, warm but itchy.

GLOVEGIINSETTRIGGER.jpg

I had a pair of those, good gloves, I like how you can keep your "trigger finger" in the mitt part until you're ready to use it when hunting, however, if I can just wear a lighter glove with the heated liner, that might be better.

I don't mind the idea of the MX guards, but I hope to have a fairing to cover the bars too, much like what you would see on a sport bike motorcycle.

He makes stuff for your feet too, but I think I got that part covered with good boots, and if I am able to make the fairing as I plan, the fairing will keep some wind off my feet too. I remember my riding boots getting really cold on my motorcycle, but that was at much higher speeds too.

You guys talk about what it takes to keep warm while riding which is great. But what about the component parts? Does the motor get warm enough, that when it cools it creates moisture in the housing? Or vice-versa when bringing a cold motor into a warm house does it sweat? Wire connections and controller could pose the same issues I suppose. I was just wondering because I'd like to try some winter riding and I do not want to be regretting it come spring. Thanks.

I have a set of gloves and vest from these guys: http://gerbing.com/

and I love them! :mrgreen:

What do you guys plan to do for your face?
I'm thinking head sock and full face motorcycle helmet. It's 50 here in the morning when I ride and at 30mph the windchill is 40-41 degrees, I can't imagine I'll ride all winter seeing how cold it is at 50 but I'll definitely put a few hundred miles on the bike

GTR2EBIKE said:
What do you guys plan to do for your face?
I'm thinking head sock and full face motorcycle helmet. It's 50 here in the morning when I ride and at 30mph the windchill is 40-41 degrees, I can't imagine I'll ride all winter seeing how cold it is at 50 but I'll definitely put a few hundred miles on the bike

That is one thing still on my "to get" list, I think I am going to go with a neoprene face mask (like skiers use) but I am hoping to find one cheap/used at Goodwill, but most likely I will have to buy one at REI or someplace.

A neoprene face mask would be a good idea for cold temps. I have a Respro that has an outer neoprene cover, looks like a ski mask, and it definitely keeps me warmer. It's a little hot wearing it when it was 95 and I was cycling.

I'd also suggest goggles, as cold air can make my eyes water, especially if I'm not acclimated to it. Goggles are good anyway though, I often get dirt in my eyes when wearing sunglasses if it's a windy day.

veloman; will a face mask prevent you from getting a cold while riding in the winter?

I usually stay inside during the winter and just drive because if i go out and excersize in the middle of winter, i end up with instant bronchitis.

I wonder if it is because the lungs just get too damn cold and can't defend themselves.

veloman said:
A neoprene face mask would be a good idea for cold temps. I have a Respro that has an outer neoprene cover, looks like a ski mask, and it definitely keeps me warmer. It's a little hot wearing it when it was 95 and I was cycling.

I'd also suggest goggles, as cold air can make my eyes water, especially if I'm not acclimated to it. Goggles are good anyway though, I often get dirt in my eyes when wearing sunglasses if it's a windy day.

You know, I have the same problem with the wind in my eyes, so far these have worked well for me:

08PaulsonBubbleGglORLG.gif

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0197114324&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWNX:IT

I really like the amber version, helps me see better too especially in low light, yet doesn't intensify the sun. I thought initially I would need some smoked ones too for the sun, but so far they are fine in the sun too.

I used to wear my old ski goggles though I really needed something better and went with these because I wear glasses:

...found on Amazon.

They're a little bit goofy, but it keeps me from tearing up :)

In the Pacific NW we get a lot of rain and crud (sleet & rain mixed) which can be blinding at night. The downside is that they often fog-up when I stop at a light, and they scratch easy.

I would really like to move towards wearing a helmet with a face shield; something to flip-up when at a stop. Though I am concerned about overheating.

Curious: For those that wear helmets, are you using a motorcycle helmet or a vented bike helmet?
~KF

You can buy some "no fog" spray at most motorcycle shops, or if you're wanting to go the budget version, you can smear a thin film of soap on the inside of your lenses, won't be ideal to look through, but will be fog free.

Nothing really beats a set of dual pane lenses either in some form of goggles or a fog city fog shield on the inside of your face shield.

I really wish I had gone the route of the dual sport motorcycle helmet (I wear a MX helmet) now since I would have a face shield, but the bubble goggles don't fog up too easy since they are vented.

I went through my room today and found my old military goggles they issued us in the desert, never actually had to wear them, I bet they are pretty anti-fog, They have vents that let them breath and a second lens that is shaded. Here is a website that has a pic of some:

10347-big.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/huggerindustries/5075194575/in/set-72157625117407164/

I knew it was only a matter of time before these were commercially made. One more step towards making winter cycling enjoyable.

neptronix said:
veloman; will a face mask prevent you from getting a cold while riding in the winter?

I usually stay inside during the winter and just drive because if i go out and excersize in the middle of winter, i end up with instant bronchitis.

I wonder if it is because the lungs just get too damn cold and can't defend themselves.

It's a myth that cold air will give you a cold. Unless you have some specific health/lung problem, cold air shouldn't negatively affect you. Many cyclists ride in sub freezing temps, myself included.

The mask would be good to protect your skin from getting too cold, especially at high speeds.

Last winter was rather wicked here in the North Eastern USA. I used a ColdAvenger face mask, Wiley-X CQC goggles along with a Bell Metro helmet with the winter kit and rain cover installed. The ColdAvenger cost $50; but it was the best $50 I could have spent. Even when the temperature was 10 degrees F, I felt completely comfortable. The Wiley-X goggles are also great. Never once did my eyes start tearing, as they completely shielded my eyes from the wind. I also love the Bell Metro helmet because of the snap on rain cover and winter kit (purchased seperately); not only does this keep your head warm, but I have stayed completely dry even in a torrential down pour. Speaking of down pours, I also highly recommend the Carradice Duxback rain cape. While it is expensive, it keeps you dry without overheating and it is such high quality that it should absolutely last a lifetime.

http://www.talusoutdoor.com/shop?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage_images.tpl&product_id=6&category_id=1

http://www.opticsplanet.net/wiley-gg-x-cqc.html

http://www.nashbar.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10053_10052_123313_-1_10000__11501

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/carradice.asp

Oh, and I can't forget the NEOS Adventurer overshoes. These really keep your feet warm and dry in snowy/slushy conditions.

http://www.overshoe.com/recreational/products/detail.php?s=ANN

Good list!

I bought these last winter: They were awesome through the Seattle winter crud and kept my feetsies nice and dry:
Lake MtB Winter Boots

~KF

You know, on second thought, I think I will go more for water protection since that is the true enemy of warm hands. So I found these:

http://www.rei.com/product/802453

1.92325_d.jpg

They aren't lobster gloves, but who cares that your fingers are 2 by 2 inside a wet glove? These other gloves are staying warm even submerged in water when used kayaking, so I think they should be fine on a bike.

I'm also considering this balaclava, even though it doesn't any reviews, the style and listing for water and wind resistance sounds pretty much like what I
need.

http://www.rei.com/product/722355

1385-9-surfskinbalaclava.jpg

I haven't decided on a set of over-shoes, I can always wear my extreme cold weather (rated for -40 DEG F!) military boots, they are heavy and bulky, but nothing comes close their water proof and warmth combo, but there almost guaranteed to make your feet sweat.

0851.gif

There's no such thing as bad e-bike weather, just poor clothing choices! Most important advice I could offer: studded tires.

This will be my third winter of riding every day. My coldest day is -36 celcius (without wind chill factoring in which would take it to who knows what). My rides last about an hour each way. One cold stretch lasted 3 weeks. Typical is about -15 for three months of the year. My commute times increase by about 10 minutes (12%) on really snowy days.

On the worst days of the winter, commuting by car is a total gong show. Many people spend two to three hours to cover the same distance my bike does in an hour. My limit is 15 cm of fresh snow, more than that and I stay home. I haven't had to take a weather day yet in three years.

My bike:

Here's what I use:
Bike:
- 26 inch mtb, 5304, two 48v 10ah pings in parallel mounted in panniers on front rack, 35amp xlyte pedal first controller.
- on really snowy days, the spokes get icicles on them, no issues with performance though, the bike runs great in the cold
- use chain lube formulated for cold weather, it does get more difficult to shift on the extremely cold days
- studded tires if you ride on any kind of snow/ice
- wrap the battery in closed cell foam and always store/charge indoors (ping)

Lights
- its dark both ways for my commute in the dead of winter, at the speed we go, lights are very important, I've tried lots of off the shelf hid setups, and so on, ay up is the only thing that has lasted more than a few months
- good reflectors, I have front and back blinky lights too

Body
- lots of layers with a wind proof shell

Pants
- most days its a certain thickness of long underwear with wind proof cycling pants on the outside
- really cold - thickest long johns, ski pants

Feet
- pull on leather shoes rated for -15 - I'll wear these until about -10
- -15 or colder - full on winter boots that are flexible and rated to -45

Face/Head
Above freezing - just the cheap shield type glasses, preferably a clear lens
Below freezing - ski goggles, clear lens
Below -5 Celsius - simple balaclava
Below -15 balaclava, tuke, neoprene face mask on top of the balaclava
I tape all the air holes on my helmet in the winter and also have wedged in closed cell foam to keep it a bit warmer.

Hands:
- I carry a pair of hot pack hand warmers in case I have to fix anything that breaks
- Tried heated gloves, too much fussing with batteries

Depends on the temp but here's what works:
+5 and above - regular bike gloves
0-5 Celsius - work gloves, all leather
- below zero to -5 - winter gloves without the liners
- 5 to -10 - winter gloves with liners
- 10 to -15 winter gloves, liners and over mitts
- 15 to -20 winter mitts
- 20 and colder winter mitts and over mitts
Winter mitts:
http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442622455&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302698935
Gloves:
http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442622502&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302698971
Overmitts:
http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442622453&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302698935

Back