• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Work on World E-Bike Standard

LockH

1 PW
Ummm.. Started out in Victoria BC Canada, then sta
(Article from last October...) Work on World E-Bike Standard; Plea for Higher Speed:
http://www.bike-eu.com/laws-regulat...-bike-standard-plea-for-higher-speed-10127881

Starts:
FRIEDRICHSHAFEN, Germany – The 1st ISO meeting to get to a world standard for EPACs (electric power assisted cycles) took place last May in Shanghai, China. On what has been discussed there and on the progress made to get to that world standard was recently reported on by ExtraEnergy Chairman Hannes Neupert.

... and ends:
The procedure for getting to the ISO/CD 4210-10 global standard for e-bikes continues. The next meeting is scheduled for January 17 – 19, 2017.

Anybuddy know anything about how the Jan. 2017 meet went?

https://www.iso.org/home.html

What would that mean in the US? Would a 750w ebike no longer be an ebike? I would assume our definition would take precedence over anything they come up with.

BikeEurope-logo.png

Germany Adopts New Regulations for Bicycles and E-Bikes News from March 21 this year:
http://www.bike-eu.com/laws-regulat...regulations-for-bicycles-and-e-bikes-10129378

Starts:
BAD SODEN, Germany – Germany’s industry association ZIV reports that after many years of negotiations and discussions the requirements for bicycles and e-bikes in the German road traffic regulations, also known as the ‘StVZO’ were finally adapted to current technical possibilities.

Ends:
The regulation has been published on the website of the German Federal Council (in German only). Scroll down to TOP 78.
(Deutsch sprechen?)
http://www.bundesrat.de/SharedDocs/TO/954/tagesordnung-954.html?cms_currentView=to-chronologisch

E-geezer said:
I would assume our definition would take precedence over anything they come up with.

hhmmm.... Why?

Actually are Japan, Europe, Taiwan, China (the main e-bike-market´s in the world) here on the same page and they are willing to set international rules for ebike at the moment. The US can do what they want but I think it would be better talk together and find rule´s that everybody can live with instead of saying "I don´t care what the world want´s"
europe or china is not the middle of the world but the US is for sure also not the middle of the world.
I´m not saying that I like 250Watt and 25km/h but a worldwide Standard could make the production easier and cheaper and if the US would join the discuss there could maybe a middleway for let´s say max 30km/h and 350Watt with some individual country law´s for mountain arera with maybe 500watt. In europe we have made it this way for countrys like austria or switzerland they have 350Watt and 500Watt law because of the mountain´s

just my 50cent

Limiting ebike power and speed as a production standard, will only limit the growth of ebike popularity. There are road signs to limit speed already.

Let's work on limiting power and speed of personnal cars instead. This at least, would reduce pollution and casualties.

Eight quotes About "Divide And Conquer":
https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/tag/divide-and-conquer

Actually, I thought it was a Roman Caesar, re tribes... elsewhere. :) A Canadian friend (born and raised on the island of Trinidad) exclaims "ONE WORLD"! (Please) I see it as a major FAIL for politicians to "pass the buck" where Feds/Country pols let states/provinces/etc make up their own flavours of some law... then states/etc defer to burgs/cities/etc to add their own "twists". Often about something they know little about. EVen in my own town bikes can ride on sidewalks on one side of the street, and not on the other sidewalk on the other side of the same road. Watts a police officer to do?

So yeah. My vote FOR a UNITED NATIONS. :mrgreen: And some ONE World E-Bike Standard.

So you're saying you want a place called 'BAD Soden' to make our decisions for us? BAD Soden. What's best for BAD Soden is best for all, so make it BAD.

Once a world standard is enforced, we know what all the bikes will be, in perpetuity. Do you really think THAT will succeed? Requiring that it be done BADly?

Without continual growth and progress, such words as improvement, achievement, and success have no meaning.
-Benjamin Franklin

Hehe German language BAD = BATH (and "soden" = grass). "(Wiki: It is known for its various springs, which contain carbonic acid gas and various iron oxides. The waters are used both internally and externally, and are widely exported.)

So. Ya think we might take a bath on some universal standard(s) eh? In theory it can expand markets for manufacturers and so drive prices lower. (Make stuff cheaper to buy for DIY folks...) Problem? :wink:

It's not even a theory that different things work better in different situations. Politicians are stuck in the idea of riding on flat ground, so they have mandated bikes that don't go uphill. It's hilly around me. I sure don't want a BAD bike.

What the hell would we even want with ISO 90001 having a bike standard? Expanding markets for WHICH manufacturers? China, who don't have to compete with little regional manufacturers who are making something different? Because the little one then can't compete with them?

BAD = Bike Assigned Democratically. Or will it even be Democratic?

Standard is good for sizes and measures, and even then manufacturers can't seem to agree. There is some progress in components fitting and adapters, but that is mostly because manufacturers are bigger and near monopoly.

When it comes to power and speed, it is their clients as well who will never agree.

Back