Yamaha XS400 conversion

There's a lot of space in the front of the frame, so I plan on cutting out a section of it to better fit the batteries. The front wheel moves back as the suspension compresses, so I will leave ~4 inches of space between the new frame and the wheel.

Black is new frame, green/blue is the frame section that will be removed, and red/yellow are the batteries.

battery box mod 1.jpg

TorgueRPM said:
There's a lot of space in the front of the frame, so I plan on cutting out a section of it to better fit the batteries. The front wheel moves back as the suspension compresses, so I will leave ~4 inches of space between the new frame and the wheel.

Black is new frame, green/blue is the frame section that will be removed, and red/yellow are the batteries.

battery box mod 1.jpg

That should work. Do you plan on a cover for the batteries? You could integrate the look with a properly designed cover.

Hit 70 degrees F today so I got outside and welded some more.

The torque clamps should be enough for the 300Nm that might go through the motor axle. Each clamp is made up of a 1/2 inch bar welded to some 0.25x1 inch angle iron, and another 1/2 inch bar on top. The bottom part has 2 tapped m12 holes, and is welded to the motor mounts. Lighter for scale.
20210405_202054.jpg
20210405_202157.jpg

Welded a wire guard for the side where the phase wires exit the axle, although I will also have frame sliders of some sort eventually to protect the fairings.
20210405_202336.jpg

Also made the frame modifications for the batteries and put the handlebars, controls, and headlight on.
20210405_202313.jpg

The pink foam in this last picture is the same size as the two powervelocity nextgen controllers side-by-side (each 225x78x51 mm, fckn tiny :D ). I am planning to put them there instead of in the gas tank because it will keep the phase wires shorter and the controllers will have air blown on them from the motor fan blades. Controller cooling will be important because I eventually want to fully enclose the middle of the bike in fiberglass covers/fairings. The enclosed area will have an air intake and exhaust (maybe powered by some small fans), which should both keep the air inside from getting too warm, and keep debris from getting in the motor vent holes.
20210405_202235.jpg

Up next:
1. Order some nice 355mm hagon gas shocks to bring the rear up a bit
2. Weld on the seat hoop so I can figure out the brake and signal light mounting
3. Weld on some sheet metal for the controllers to attach to
5. Weld the battery trays, still planning to follow the layout from my last post
4. Cut and attach the front fender, figure out rear fender situation

Back