Yard Rover Line Trimmer

FlyQuietly

1 µW
Hello All,

I have been lurking around RC and robotics forums for awhile and am finally thinking I need to post a few questions if I am going to be successful in a little project I have had on the go for some time now. This isn't exactly e-bike related so I hope users of this form don't mind me posting here. However, I was directed here by a frequent contributor on RC Groups as a board which may have some of the expertise I am looking for.

I have a yardbot (or more strictly speaking yardrov I guess) project in progress on and off for some time now. Since the video below was captured, I have added and articulating implement arm on the front of the rover controlled by a wheelchair linear actuator. My next step is to attempt some sort of cutting attachment on the front of the machine. As you can see in the video, I am a wheelchair user and am unable to push a lawnmower and transfer onto a riding mower is even somewhat beyond my ability.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oz_a9K1foLA

I have previously considered a "cutting bar" type mower but have been unable to locate a suitable bar which is light enough for my purposes and center driven (considered pilfering one off a hedge trimmer). Also considered towing a gas driven lawnmower, but this seems not a very elegant solution.

My current thinking is a cutting bar with two or three string trimmer heads powered by electric motors. The reason for up to three trimmer heads is to keep center of gravity close to the machine while still achieving a cutting width at least as wide as the machine wheelbase (24"). This would also allow use of reasonably short string trimmer line or rigid cutting blades.

I was anticipating using large outrunner (for the torque) motors capable of running at 24 volts and controlled by matching ESC controllers. Figuring I need something 300 to 500kv or so to allow RPM around 6000 to 10,000 and north of 1 Kw total power as some of the gas trimmers I have seen seem to come in around 1 horsepower. Likely will use a separate receiver (from the one which controls the ROV) mounted on the implement and bound alone to the AUX channel on my 5ch. Spektrum transmitter. Would power the receiver using a 4.8v li/po battery pack with a switch for on/off. This would allow mounting of the implement without having to plug in more than the main power cable. I am willing to spend a bit on motors controllers etc. Consider the cost against purchase of a decent ride-on mower and I have a bit of budget (but still want to keep things reasonable of course).

For motors, I was anticipating using something along the lines of HobbyKing RotoMax 50cc or even 80cc (nothing like overkill) units with ESC's capable of amperage somewhat higher than that required by the motors. I would use on or more Y connectors to allow tandem (tridem?) operation of the motors from one channel. I am anticipating that I should be able to run pretty big motors for reasonably long durations as I don't really have the amp/hours limitations of others who have modified hand-held trimmers with outrunner motors. I am running things off of two G22NF wheelchair batteries rated at 55 amp hours. Weight is not an issue and the amp hours available to me are pretty far in excess of those who have modified hand-held trimmers run on Li/po batteries.

I have questions I think need to be answered before I can actually start ordering parts:

Stalling:
How do I manage the likelihood of occasional to frequent stalls without frying my ESC's or motors? Because I am remote operating this thing in heavy grass, I am very likely not to even notice one or two motors have gotten tangled and stalled. The reading I have done suggests this is going to be a real problem. However, commercial string trimmers seem capable of stalling frequently without difficulty and I even saw a trimmer at Home Depot advertising a brushless motor. Will the ESC overcurrent or overheat safety circuits manage this or do I need to consider brushed motors instead or go some other way?

Run time:
Are these motors capable of running fairly hard for extended periods, even with ESC's that are large enough to easily supply the amperage?

AUX Channel Operation:
Can I simply hook up my receiver to my ESC's, bind to my AUX channel and have the motors fire up when the switch is activated? This channel indicates switch positions 0-1-2. Will this give me off, low and high speed or off, forward and reverse or something else (nothing?). I could use the rudder channel but want to reserve this for something else (weaponization?), don't require progressive speed control and don't want to have to hold the joystick in wide open position all the time. This is likely something more for the RC crowd to answer, however came up with nothing over on RC Groups. Hoping someone here might have some RC knowledge.

Cooling:
In terms of keeping motors and ESC's cool, do I need to consider fans? I think I saw something saying that helicopter motors have built in fans, but I don't seem to have been able to figure out how to identify these exact motors on the HK or manufacturers websites. This has been kind of answered on RC Groups. Sounds like I will need to set up some sort of cooling system. I'm thinking a sealed shroud equipped with a couple cooling fans and air filters at intake and output as will be operating in dusty environments.

Battery Type:
Everything I have seen previously involves running motors off of Li/po batteries. Using lead acid should not be a problem, should it? An electron is an electron, correct?

Unknown unknowns:
Any other advice to assist me in achieving what I am out to do without creating too much expensive white smoke? Am I even on the right track? Feel free to spec this whole thing out for me. Spend my money.

Thank you in advance for any advice and sorry for the long post.

Thanks for the advice amberwolf.

So I'm thinking this should all be do-able. Cooling should be fairly easy to take care of. My biggest decision should be between brushless and brushed motors. I like the benefit of being able to use a cheap motor controller and simple on/off switching with brushed motors. Just not sure I can find a motor with high enough rpm's at the power rating I need. Looking around a bit, for example at Amp Flow motors, it looks like brushed motors tend to top out around 3-4000 rpm with no load. But I could easily not be looking in the right place. I haven't been able to find any reliable information on line trimmer speeds, but from what I can find it looks like somewhere between 6-10,000 rpm is the correct range. On the other hand... I saw a trimmer in my local Home Depot the other day that advertised "Brushless Motor" which kind of suggests that most trimmers are using brushed. Huh?1?

No matter which way I go, it sounds like my biggest unsolved problem, then, is overcurrent protection during stalls. I suppose I could just use a fuse upstream of the motor, but changing out fuses every time this thing stalls could become tiresome. My current thought is that I need something along the lines of a circuit breaker, http://www.vexrobotics.com/circuit-breakers.html either auto-setting or manual (manual may be better giving a chance to clear a tangle before attempting re-start) once the over current is removed. Off to do a bit more research...

Am I thinking in the correct direction here? Anyone know of specific technology I should be looking at?

Thanks again.

I've got a couple spare wheelchair motors (brushed) out in the garage. May have to experiment with them to see if their speed is anywhere near what I need. They are rated at something like 3500rpm at 24 volts. I don't think that will be enough, but I can't seem to find any brushed motors that will spin at much more than 4500 rpm with the power rating I am expecting to need (around 1000 watts). However, cheap to just try hooking up a line trimmer head with one of the motors I already have and see what happens. May also try to find a cheap-to-free commercial weed-eater I can dissect.

I've also considered gearing up a lower speed motor with a chair or belt drive. All of the gearboxes I've found tend to gear down, rather than up, however, and building anything from scratch which is capable of managing a final drive speed of ~10,000 rpm is likely going to require more precision than I am capable of.

If anyone knows where I can lay my hands on a brushed motor capable of 6,000 to 10,000 rpm at 24 volts and somewhere up around 1000 watts (or more), I'd love it if you'd point me in the right direction! Also, if this specification is not realistic, letting me know would save me a bunch of wasted time looking for something which doesn't exist (which is what I am beginning to suspect).

Thanks

Back