Yep..Another VESC Based Ebike Controller 150V 200AMP

mystamo

10 mW
Hey all,

Been a hot heavy min since I've been on here.

2020 has been a complete nightmare for me. I lost my daughter River to a heart defect at 2.5mo old. She was a real fighter having had open heart surgery at day 5. She was born with TGA a disease where AORTA and PULMONARY arteries are switched..Aint that some shit? Congenital heart disease is a lot more common than you think 1/100 new born kids have a defect of some sort. Needless to say the whole ordeal has been a nightmare for my wife and I.

I've been working from home with the whole covid thing and have been doing a bit of biking with the wife so I had my ebike back out. Did a bit of research on speed controllers since I had left off and BOY! was I surprised...

I discovered VESC (I know..welcome to earth Mo)

I did a bit more research and found some decent designs. One in particular by Gelp on the Vesc group. He calls his vesc BESC which can do 150V at 200AMPS. I also saw a design called cheap FOCer. Loved the name and more simple design vs ben's VESC.

Fast forward a week or two and you have my new PCB and design . Done after BESC, VESC, FOCer and Axiom. A modular, cheap, small, low part count, high power, controller.

It will be a two part controller with power stage and control separate. I am done the control section send the boards out. The idea is to have a control section I can stick down onto any level power board. This is like the axiom just with way less parts. More simple if you will. Doing the power section now. Will add details as I go. I will be using ASC series hall sensors to measure current like the besc. But I'll use different drivers and fets.

Here is a sneak peak. Grandpa did it in Eagle..

2020-07-14.png

When you get to the power stage, you might look at ZombieSS's recent thread:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=106688

Got my PCB's from JLC and got my components on there. Just a few to solder on for the ADC inputs but so far everything on the board is checking out ok.

Got the board bootloaded and VESC firmware flashed. Actively using VESC tool and all I/Os I can currently test seem ok. Including the Servo PPM input.

Now I move on to the drive board.

Pic of REV 1. I've already sent in Rev 2 for certain things I didn't like (Font sizes via placements). As well as including the fact that it is a VESC based controller.

Mo

Untitled.jpg

Wow nicely done !

Hey All,

Finished with the drive part of my design today. DAMN, it took a long time to finish this and it was a total $%# to route.

I've opted to just go with a smaller 6 fet power stage right now TO-220 Package . I'll upgrade the drive board design once I validate the design and put some beefier more expensive fets in there.

Pic of the JLC Render as I send out the board for FAB.

Mo
PCB Drive.jpg

Back