ypedal, youre not the only one going gas power!

def215

10 kW
ive also went gas powered in a way, well not gasoline but LPG. ive been holding off this project for a while and i really wanted this one to happen, so i did research on this and this creation is born. its a goped supersport with a lehr propane engine on it. thought id share this with you guys because this is a step away from the ebikes, but its not quite the gasoline powered machines. :twisted:
df2a4301.jpg

i started out with a rolling frame and the motor
35e73ace.jpg

motor got mounted not too soon after i got it
9eae0850.jpg

its friction drive...lol
c25e3e05.jpg

everything motor and fuel wise is on there
75494562.jpg

a pic of the whole thing.
i still need a deck for it. ive been meaning to get a sheet of plexiglas or lexan and make a deck for it. but if all else fails, ill just use a piece of plywood. :wink:
[youtube]c2gIAHViZ5A[/youtube]
that vid sucks because i had a crappy cam. i think ill spring for the turnigy spycam because they seem better than what i have...lol. ill try to get a better vid of it soon and have it all together...lol. :twisted:

nice !!!!...

I saw the propane trimmers at wall mart a few months ago, almost got it just so i could use the carb and fuel line setup, being pressured gas would certainly make it easy starting, no need to prime the carb and get suction before it fires, and no flooding either..

Bump start is way better than pull start imo.. the HT kits are easy to get going because you can use your legs instead of your arm to get it going.

thanks ypedal.

i think i still like the bikes better. hows your ht motor kit running so far ypedal?

i just made this because i have the rolling frame already laying around which needed a motor. bump starting this thing by pushing it isnt fun. maybe because im really light. im still working on getting it started in one shot. :D

these propane trimmer engines arent so bad, i had trouble starting mine the first time i got it though. maybe because it was brand new and needs breaking in. i choke it to get it started with my finger over the intake still, but it definitely is easier to start than gasoline. i still havent needed to change the oil yet, or go through its first propane tank...lol. i dont think ive even went a mile on it yet. but its a pretty neat little motor being a 4-stroke and all. so no 2 stroke oil being burnt :mrgreen: this thing is a really nice cruiser with this motor on it. i would definitely recommend this motor if you prefer ease of use over having power, not that this motor is weak. :roll:

Hm, interesting ride. But... why would you want to use a noisy, pollutin' gas motor?

I don't see the appeal. Is LPG significantly cheaper than gas or something?

I cannot find any definitive numbers on Gas VS LPG emissions.
This is what wikipedia has to say:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquefied_petroleum_gas#Motor_fuel

Perhaps the minimized stink is caused by the 4 stroke configuration, since 2 strokes are like running 10x+ the engine displacement in terms of emissions :p

Still noisy. I guess i just can't see how you can go use a gas thing once you've tasted the sweet nectar of electric drive.

haha. yeah. it has less pollution than gasoline. the main reason why i made this propane powered is because i wanted something gas powered. i owned many gas scooters in the past which were cool, but can get messy at times. i store my stuff in my basement too because i live in a city rowhome(i dont want to leave my stuff outside or in the backyard with the fear of it getting stolen or the elements getting to it) and i dont want my house stinking like gasoline. if i really needed to, i can start it up in my house for testing, which i have done before since its getting cold out now. also, i wanna stay in touch with the roots, gasoline power is what got me started with stuff like this...lol.

my ebike is down now because of the throttle and controller blew. i have the contoller, but im still waiting for my throttle to come in from china which i ordered like 3 weeks ago from china. :roll: also since it was down, i was able to do some upgrades/repairs to it like put a new crank and pedals on it and get new brakes for it. so the ebike should be up and running again.

but the next project ill be doing will be electric again, and should be better than my 250watt motor powered bike...lol.

Yeah, 250w borders on useless unless you like pedaling or don't have any serious hills. I know what you mean.

I outgrew my 250w kit in about 4 hours total. :lol: Next stop: 500w-1000w BMC geared hubmotor kit :)

yeah. no serious hills in the city, so i think i got away with it. 250 watts isnt too bad. most of the time when i ride, i dont pedal. also i dont weigh a whole lot, at 125 lbs. which i think kinda helps. overvolting a tad bit also helped...lol. i think im due for an upgrade on the bike too...lol.

Back