Zero Air Gap Electric Motors could be improved?

Fulano

1 µW
Hello, I've been looking into online scientific articles and I was able to find a few ones about the subject. On these articles it is normally observed that the torque value of the motors doubles or even quadruples with the direct contact of the rotor and the stator while consuming the same amount of energy.

Some articles:
Zero-Airgap Induction Motor Used to Drive a Transmission Oil Pump
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/322650195...
Airgap-less electric motor: A solution for high-torque low-speed applications

However, I really can't find anything but a few articles, so I'd like to ask around and see if someone can help or give an educated guess.

For example, I was thinking of making the rotor rotate just like a hypocycloidal drive. On top of that, I was also thinking on making the stator and rotor into gear-teeth.
final_60ca0425f94e050044cff2ef_543741-1_d7kb7r.gif

But I'm not qualified enough to even guess how this would improve the performance of the electric motor, nor I feel confident on even attempting on designing such thing.

What are your thoughts on the subject?

It looks cool enough for sure. It must work!

Is it the same as a harmonic drive concept, of which I'm only vaguely aware? Can you name the intermediate gears to clarify their function? I could probably make it if I understood the specific function of every component. I do solid models and CNC motor parts professionally.

I doubt it would have any motor performance increase in any case because the design will likely be compromised magnetically. But that said, it may have some cool packaging / driveline integration benefits; smaller, more compact hi torque Motor Gearbox Unit with concentric output. BTW, the input shaft as you have shown it would be fixed to the chassis if it were a motor, right?

Using RC airplane terms, this would be a midrunner I'd guess, instead of an outrunner or inrunner, eh?

Oh wait. I get it I think. It IS a harmonic drive. I was thinking you meant to incorporate the magnetics; stator and rotor, into the gears.

In the immortal words of Rosanne Rosannadanna..Nevermind!

Last edited:
Back