zero volts cells recovery gone WRONG - ACID leak -

I wonder if the cells were submerged in water or rain damaged, I never seen any liquid (acid) on any of the damage cells I encountered.

lithium acid.jpg

keep in mind that lithium cells like those 18650s are physically damaged when they drop far enough below their specified minimum voltage; definitely by the time they're below a volt.

once damaged and recharged, they are a fire risk from that moment on.

i dont' recommend reusing any cells that have dropped below their spec sheets' minimum voltage.

best case, maybe if they never went below 2v.

definitely not if they've dropped below a volt, and certainly not if they're at zero.

it's possible that none of them will ever fail dramatically...but it only takes one of them catching fire inside a battery pack that's inside your house, etc., to ruin your whole life.

What a lot of work and huge risks.

Unless you're actually poor, just save up for new cells dude!

At least get outdoors for these sorta monkeyshines, you **will** start a fire impossible to put out!

And what is your basis for saying the "OK" cells are going to be useful? As in, hard data please. . .

And, acid?

Is LI electrolyte even acidic?

Of course best to never find out 8-D

No kidding, I hope you keep that stuff outside the house, or even garage.

Its really inconvenient when your house looks like this.

dogman dan --> Fire at most cases are just for LiPo RC people, LiPo is kind of a 18650 but x10times more explosive just inside a wrap. Be gentle with all kind of cells & batteries : )

john61ct
"What a lot of work and huge risks. --> Not at all, but all careful is necessary. If you be gentle to cells they cooperate nice"

"Unless you're actually poor, just save up for new cells dude!" --> I was poor but now I'm rich because my mind now include reuse concepts at many levels. Anyway in my case at company we have thousands of cells from reused battery blocks for study and classification. Most cells even after used are equivalent to some new good LG cells and Samsung. Soo some Kg of gold, all kinds, all colors and some acid black sheeps : )

I keep in mind most of the stuff I do with batteries and cells is dangerous, most of my experiments I do not recommend to any one to do.
I do for self learning and battery development Most cells tests under stress conditions are considered very safe. I've managed thousands and no real problem. If you cut cell at half it will go crazy at fire spinning
But I will keep uploading new experiments , concepts and keeping move reused cells concept plus creating a cell database classification.

Those light green cells reference XB-HY INR18650 are generic chinease cells, maybe the worst I found until now.
Those can be found at some lowcost CN batteries for city coco scooter or ebikes and maybe many more stuff.
Some of this cells tend to leak acid inside wrap, and sometimes when removing spots at anode , it start spilling acid from spot zone.

This never happened with other battery arrays.
This light green cells seems to be not safe for market or not recommended for 6A , 2seconds peak demand and medium 2,5A per cell. I have found some with acid leak inside wrap. But many were OK
The cells that are charged and hold charge for 1 week or more is considered safe for reuse.

One more bunch of cells photo for those that like to watch many cells of different colors

https://ibb.co/NxbFTg1

You'll probably hear this several times, but that's his actual burnt garage, made that way by charging a commercially manufactured 18650 pack.
I had one 18650 pack nearly go off from a charger suddenly not cutting out at the normal voltage after working perfectly for years, and luckily was close by enough to hear the vents popping and bubbling, and I could barely touch the pack it was so hot... Fire hazard isn't just for lipos.
Some old proverbs still apply... Once burned, twice shy...

Voltron said:
You'll probably hear this several times, but that's his actual burnt garage, made that way by charging a commercially manufactured 18650 pack.
I had one 18650 pack nearly go off from a charger suddenly not cutting out at the normal voltage after working perfectly for years, and luckily was close by enough to hear the vents popping and bubbling, and I could barely touch the pack it was so hot... Fire hazard isn't just for lipos.
Some old proverbs still apply... Once burned, twice shy...

This is the kind of stuff that you should be afraid, fake cells similar to this x4 nice & great look and many others fakes.

https://ibb.co/qstmVX9

Most people use this kind of high drain cells for vaporizers and high demand apps,
Genuine LGHG2 are rated cont20A up 30A , but this fake LGHG2 will get very hot after few time with just 10A and if you keep goin it sure will became ready to fire (new year celebration low cost explosives?)

Make sure when buy a battery it does never include fake cells, otherwise fire works are guaranteed

Even the **best quality** LI cells, as they age, lose capacity increase resistance, increase susceptibility to thermal runaway.

So messing with **any** secondhand / scrapped LI cells your risk increases by orders of magnitude.

And that risk is not trivial, even with brand new.

So, do what you like, you've been warned. . .

bay-wheels-zach-rutta-copy-1566438318.jpg

Back