So I bought a lathe...and made Hub Motors

Ok guys. Here is a preview of what I intend to do with the endcap. This is just the first part.

20150726_004953.jpg

20150726_003141.jpg

So as you can see, I replaced the endcap wherein a 608 skate bearing can now be put in. I made some grooves on the endcap and removed the middle of the hub of the wheel so that the remaining notches can fit perfectly into the grooves. I also bored the middle of the wheel so that the motor with the aluminum tube over it can go in. The next thing to do is to make at least 3 holes on the face of the endcap and tap it. This will allow me to put bolts into them which will also hold a large washer that will press onto the wheel, keeping it from falling out. By doing these things, I hope to accomplish:

1. Replace the original motor bearings with the bigger skate bearing.
2. Allow for easy removal and replacement of the wheel.
3. Protect the motor from dust, debris, rocks, water splash, uv rays, sharks with freaking laser beams, etc.
4. Since I left some of the core and will use a large washer to press and square up the wheel, I hope that the wobble will diminish, if not eliminated at all.

That's it for now. Thanks for reading.

that looks a lot better!!

So that eliminates the use of epoxy?

and allows the urethane to be swapped by the user?

Vanarian said:
Awesome, looks sturdy!

Hey thanks dude. I'm also interested in experimenting with your 85kv small motors once I get the final design on this.

20150726_103444.jpg

Here is a mock-up of the wheel with the allen bots and washer. I will have it anodized along with the aluminum tube in the back of the wheel. The washer is big because it's pushing down on the urethane, not just the hub/core. This helps keep the urethane, core and hub in place.

So to remove the wheel, all you have to do is unscrew these six allen bolts and four screws in the back that holds the aluminum tube to the skirt bearing, then pull it out. Again, thanks for reading.

CSN said:
that looks a lot better!!

So that eliminates the use of epoxy?

and allows the urethane to be swapped by the user?

Hey CSN, sorry for the delayed reply, was still hacking away. :mrgreen:

The wheel is still epoxied to the aluminum tube. I had to do this because I feel that the remaining core of the wheel is not sufficient and the urethane may detach. By using epoxy I'm assured that the urethane is sticking on to more surface area, not just the remaining core.

Ideally I would make the tube with notches and pour liquid urethane on it inside a mold. But unfortunately, I do not have the funds for that. I have talked to the 3M guys and they told which epoxy to use that will not only have a strong bond but will also make the wheel feel like its not made of steel, meaning it's still flexible. The DP420 is super strong, but it made the ride feel very harsh.

But as you can see from the picture above, the wheel with the aluminum tube is completely and easily swappable. You take out the 6 bolts in front and 4 screws at the back, then just pull it out. The motor, endcap and bearing will remain. I will also offer them in different colors.

Thanks guys!

Oh, one more important thing I forgot to add that I have accomplished with these modifications. This allows me to offer 1WD, as the offset of the hub-motorized wheel is the same as the regular wheel.

Great! Thanks to you guys for all the input i got here on ES. can't wait to post my build (but 1st finish it) :D

Pediglide

This is exciting.

Dual diagonal is possible now!

How much do you envision a replacement wheel/barrel part costing?

That was my one big reservation of having to send it back just for new urethane.

Is the stator easily removed from the truck or have you epoxied it on? Reason I ask is that I want to be able to rewind the motors to get custom KV and run it with a 12s battery... Otherwise, can you supply the bits, not assembled, so I can rewind the motor first before I assemble it?

I forgot that South Korea had a very strong spirit toward urban disciplines, those are some very cool videos ;) do you know if they have VESC on it? Wondering about the sound, the way it grumbles is not bad haha

Pediglide said:
Vanarian said:
Awesome, looks sturdy!

Hey thanks dude. I'm also interested in experimenting with your 85kv small motors once I get the final design on this.

Ooops I missed this, sure you're welcome :D

I dont know if they use Vesc. I've had a few Ebay sales from SK, none of them contacted me after. Been wondering about it til I saw these videos. Im pretty stoked he let the kid ride it.

Pediglide said:
...and decided to make me some hub moterzzz! :twisted:

View attachment 2
View attachment 1

It's not the prettiest, but its my first try. Learned so much.

First, the screws that holds the fan to the rotor are a PITA to remove, even when using the right screwdriver. I stripped almost all of them, had to extract them out and rethread the holes.
The bearing tube is another doozy. Even after heating it up for 45 mins, it won't come off. I finally just drilled it out but its scary because the bit is so close to the windings.
I also should have used a smaller-diameter hole saw to remove the hub first, and then the right size forstner bit to bore the wheel. Using just the forstner bit to cut the hub made it dull easily.

I'm just waiting for the 3M epoxy and the 14mm bit to drill a bearing seat on the top of the can. BTW, if you guys want me to make some for you, check out my for sale thread: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=68581&p=1034199#p1034199

I'll first try them out with my Skyrc ESC, then use VESC on them. 8)

Nice! I am only just starting eboards so have no idea how you would make them but you must be pretty pro!

Hi there. Nah, im no pro. I will always be a student of Endless Sphere and life in general. There is so much to learn and improve. But thanks for the compliment, much appreciated. :)

Must be the language barrier that makes them shy. How about fire up Google translate and ask for some feedback? I have a Korean colleague who can help translate if you like.

Back