So I bought a lathe...and made Hub Motors

mccloed said:
Darn! I'll be in San Francisco this weekend. All the really fun stuff happens while I am away. :cry: Good thing I sent a board up there. :lol:

Aww man, our Gang is thinning out. We need more mobile members. :wink:

[youtube]5BlisEiJSiM[/youtube]

kimboviper said:
How fast would these v2 hub motors go on 12S?

I have the Flier Dual 12s ESC and briefly connected the hub motors to it. The problem is that it hardly brakes.

But the acceleration was out of this world, at least for me. I did not have the speedometer at the time but I felt like I was going as fast as full throttle on 6s at only the halfway mark.

Maybe I'll test V2 with 12s at the Riverbed. Or somebody do it for me, I'm too chicken. :shock:

Pediglide said:
kimboviper said:
How fast would these v2 hub motors go on 12S?

I have the Flier Dual 12s ESC and briefly connected the hub motors to it. The problem is that it hardly brakes.

But the acceleration was out of this world, at least for me. I did not have the speedometer at the time but I felt like I was going as fast as full throttle on 6s at only the halfway mark.

Maybe I'll test V2 with 12s at the Riverbed. Or somebody do it for me, I'm too chicken. :shock:

I'll do it! Just kidding... :roll:

V2 road test with lots of carving, starting, stopping and donuts on a hot 100F Southern California day. Urethane stayed on, and I didn't even had to use any epoxy.

[youtube]AYH2jahBPqE[/youtube]

[youtube]Qpz_64a4vyc[/youtube]

Will the motor being further along the truck prevent the V2s with being used with drop through or drop down decks?

Snowstorm said:
Will the motor being further along the truck prevent the V2s with being used with drop through or drop down decks?

I'm not sure, but I think it may even be better since there is now more space between the deck and the big 90mm wheels.

okp said:
awesome pediglide ! that's the result of hard work. congrats !!!!!

Thanks Cedric! So stoked right now!

Pediglide said:
Urethane stayed on, and I didn't even had to use any epoxy.

Yeah, I found it impossible to keep the thane on when sliding unless the wheels were only partially bored out. Even heavily glued it would jump up the aluminium lips and start pushing off.

Are you running 6s as well? I find that casual riding (sit between 30-40km/h and easy starts) I will burn about 1300 watts peak, but if I do some hard starts then it peaks at up to 4kw ish. I don't know what I'm using to keep the speed, but I would say 90% of the time I'm using less than 800 watts, do you see similar figures to this?

bandaro said:

Yeah, I found it impossible to keep the thane on when sliding unless the wheels were only partially bored out. Even heavily glued it would jump up the aluminium lips and start pushing off.

Try to put some epoxy on the outside of the wheel. I'm still using my V1 but added some epoxy on outside corner. They are like flanges made of epoxy.

20150828_102208.jpg

bandaro said:
Are you running 6s as well? I find that casual riding (sit between 30-40km/h and easy starts) I will burn about 1300 watts peak, but if I do some hard starts then it peaks at up to 4kw ish. I don't know what I'm using to keep the speed, but I would say 90% of the time I'm using less than 800 watts, do you see similar figures to this?

Yup, just 6s. I think my highest is around 2.5kw. I can't tell what the average is as the watt meter is inside the box. I also downgraded the firmware on my Hobbywing Xeruns and they run much smoother than the latest one. I recommend the Xeruns. I have the FVTs and the Xeruns outperforms them except on brake noise.

just read the whole thread, its so awesome what people come up with and set in motion. really really impressive work and refinements!! :)

what about the advantages of a gear-/beltless drive? can you notice that its more efficient? is it much easier to push?

whitepony said:
just read the whole thread, its so awesome what people come up with and set in motion. really really impressive work and refinements!! :)

what about the advantages of a gear-/beltless drive? can you notice that its more efficient? is it much easier to push?

Thanks!

The very first thing you will notice is the lack of drag. You can set down the board on a slight incline and it will roll down, much like an unmotorized board. I'm not sure if this lack of drag is the cause of it, but the next things you will notice is how easy it accelerates and--depending on your esc--how smooth it brakes. You can watch these on the videos. The squealing brakes of Hobbywing Xerun 150A is a nuisance but it's effective and smooth. I've grown accustomed to it.

The efficiency is the same as others at 1ah/1 mile but that's with two motors and spirited riding (a lot at 25 mph or more). Peak amps is around 130A (65A per motor) but I don't know how long that last.

Yes, it's much easier to push and coast, especially with 83mm wheels and the hub motors in front, just like my campus-cruiser board. That's me. :mrgreen:

20150830_093822.jpg

I have this only at 4s and it still can reach 20mph, but the short wheelbase is sketchy. So mostly I push it around and just give power here and there, and it will coast very far. But, unless you have really smooth terrain and is careful on picking your spots, I do not advice the 83mm wheels as the motor gets very close to the ground and can easily be dinged.

View this every chance I get, Damn that is awesome love the V2's Probably going to snag a pair here soon in green! I was thinking of getting a Beercan drop through deck or at least an aluminum one to have these on. I am running 6s lipos and 150A hobbywings. How well do these do on very hilly environments? My campus has some crazy up and down hills. My current board has 2 195KV motors and it works lovely on hills. Then again it is a mountain board, so now I need my electric longboard.

They do hills fine. Make sure you do not have the latest firmware on the Hobbywings, the older firmware is better and will not cutoff on hard acceleration and medium hills. If you find the hills a challenge, put the hub motors in front and they will be a breeze. Just be careful on the stick at 6s because too much acceleration can rocket the board under your feet and fall you back. Likewise, too much brakes too soon will make you fly like superman. :D

you think sensors, if you could have them installed, would they be worth the loss of power as they took space? It sounds like they're reasonably smooth...or are you falling backward and then flying like superman often?

I just find my hobbywing 150 esc really loud riding and crazy loud braking and am wondering if you have things quieter with the hub motors? Or maybe my programming sucks. How loud are your motors going accelerating? Some people like the noise but I envy the electric bike hub motors as they're silent.

The only time I wish I have sensors is when I start on an incline and the board starts to go backward before I hit the throttle. It cuts off when it can't handle the load anymore. That is the thing I like about the Hobbywing Xeruns, instead of cogging, it cuts off or shuts down. That is more desirable especially for newbies that step on my board, or any electric board. If a first-time rider experiences cogging at startup, they just put the remote down and step away from the board. It totally zaps their confidence. By just cutting off or shutting down, it's a much subtle experience and they just try again.

Having said that, the startup IS smooth, you can see from the videos. I was talking about falling backwards when you have the Hub motors in front and accelerate too fast, it will just go and leave you behind if you are not ready. Consequently, if you're going too fast and slams on the brake on a FWD, it will stop and your own momentum will carry you forward.

The motors are not loud when you are slow. I can go on the sidewalk and people don't turn my way to look. They just think it's weird seeing an adult on skateboard. I admit the brakes are loud though, slow or fast.

Personally, I prefer the noise especially when you are going over 20mph. At that speed, you are not only relying on your evasion skills, but other people's evasion skills too. And the noise alerts them to that. You do not want to be going down on a side of a busy and noisy road with cars whizzing on your left and in front, the driver of a car stepping out of the curb to get into his/her car and blocking your way. With the noise, they usually pause and let you go through.

Pediglide said:
They do hills fine. Make sure you do not have the latest firmware on the Hobbywings, the older firmware is better and will not cutoff on hard acceleration and medium hills. If you find the hills a challenge, put the hub motors in front and they will be a breeze. Just be careful on the stick at 6s because too much acceleration can rocket the board under your feet and fall you back. Likewise, too much brakes too soon will make you fly like superman. :D

How do I Install the old firmware? or uninstall the new one?

theprodigyp said:

How do I Install the old firmware? or uninstall the new one?

You have to buy the program box: http://www.falconsekido.com/products/lcd-program

Then download the software and connect the program box to your computer via USB.

Plug in your ESC to the program box and the software will show the list of firmwares.

Every time I see progress and upgrades you bring upon your hubs I feel spirited. Congrats again, you really nail it when it comes to hubs for skateboards :wink:

Do you have a sprint test in video? I'm curious to know how hard these can accelerate. Don't hurt yourself if you do one!

Nice job!

I'm going to have to get a set when I finish my current projects.

Vanarian said:
Every time I see progress and upgrades you bring upon your hubs I feel spirited. Congrats again, you really nail it when it comes to hubs for skateboards :wink:

Do you have a sprint test in video? I'm curious to know how hard these can accelerate. Don't hurt yourself if you do one!

Thanks man, waiting for your Air Treks. :wink:

liveforphysics said:
Nice job!

I'm going to have to get a set when I finish my current projects.

Thanks Luke, coming from you that means a lot!

So the motor's endcap samples from the shop came in. Fittings are good. I also decided to have through-holes for air flow. Even with the addition of these, the inside is still protected from debris because the hubcaps will still go over them.

20150901_184529.jpg

These things are rather expensive at the small quantity I can afford, so I had to increase the price a little bit and charge extra for the shipping. Sorry guys.

Also, thanks for the guys that are waiting. Once I get the hubcaps, I can put them all together and ship it out.

Freshair said:
Nice work Man!

Those boys at the shop do good work, can see why they aren't cheap!

Thanks! Yeah they are very cool. They usually do work for the big movie studios around here, it's nice of them to accommodate me and my measly budget. :mrgreen:

torqueboards said:
Looks awesome!! Well done..

I like the idea that they won't be epoxied in anymore. That's the way to go.

Thanks bro! I initially thought that the remaining core of the wheel might not be strong enough by itself, but it's still holding up. Still more testing though. :wink:

Back