So I bought a lathe...and made Hub Motors

I went from 83mm clones to 90mm and no way would I go back.

So much smoother and rolls over stuff much better.

I have a set of 97mm's I want to try next.

WIth the can width of Pediglides hub's what would happen if two pieces of urethane were on each wheel?

Maybe a softer compound in the inside portion for traction and bump absorption and harder compound on the outside for cornering.

Would it be worth the extra weight? or not stay put?

You're going to increase your contact patch which will suck your battery life, although the different duro is interesting. :)

The 97mms are pretty heavy already.

Pediglide

Have you considered hub motoring one of these Onda boards?

I don't think the motor would have to be in the wheel but attach with 5 holes in each wheel.

Wouldn't really be a hub motor per se but does away with regular belts and mounts.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-09-10 at 23.19.55.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-09-10 at 23.19.55.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 845
You would need planetary gears or a 100kv or less motors to compensate for the increase in the wheel's diameter. Or else, I suspect it will cog. Same concept again.

you can use these planetary gears, but it's heavy. Might as well just use belts.

http://www.thesuperkids.com/plgeasforcue.html

superkids_2268_3988018

SubCreative said:
Great work Pediglide, I've been lurking and watching and love to come back and see the latest updates :)

Hey thanks! This may be the last setup for V2, except maybe for black anodize for the hub caps to match the black hubs of the regular wheels.

Do u add extra glue for the magnets or have u found it unnecessary?

Oo somewhere in here you wrote that a larger contact patch equates to more resistance and slower wheels but not necessarily so. It depends on what ur riding on. A soft wheel, which equates to a larger patch, has less resistance on a rough road as long as it has good rebound
Bike racers like thin tires for the aero advantage but a wider tire with less air is better for less rolling resistance unless ur riding on glass. U want the wheel to not hit road protrusions and if the contact patch is too small that's what kind of happens

Just finished another hub motor build with the V2 hub motors. The wider setup of the V2 gives improved stability and helps on higher speeds a lot. On the other hand the V1 allowing a drop through setup is quite nice too (and it's a little bit stealthier). So I'm quite happy with both versions and gathered some knowledge how to optimize the VESC values for hub motors too.

Specs:
- Rayne Piranha V3 37,5"
- handmade GF enclosure 53x14x2.5cm to fit all the electric components
- 10s/7.5 Ah Enertion space cell
- 2x VESCs
- 2x 6374/149kV/2,2KW hub motors V2
- 83mm Flywheel Clones
- >30km range and it's fast!
4.jpgView attachment 3View attachment 27.jpg

Nice pics!
elkick said:
gathered some knowledge how to optimize the VESC values for hub motors too.
Can you shrare a bit more about that? I ordered V2 and VESC and would appreciate some configuration help.

@elkick, great looking boards! I'll send you the black anodized motor sleeves and hubcaps too when I get them.

The V2 carves like a proper longboard because the end of the motor and the axle is inside the wheel. This allows for better grip and for some coning-effect on the wheels when carving.

I'm pausing selling them because I dont have any motors in stock and cant get an answer on when they will be back....or if it's the same price when they do.

@Pediglide, thanks that's really appreciated!

And you are right, carving is absolutely awesome with the V2. One has to be a little bit careful when approaching a curbs in an angle, but you mentioned this already. And it's also something you're used to avoid if you're running a traditional satellite config - those motors are hitting the ground easily too if you're not cautious approaching curbs. So no big issue and I'll also try some 90mm wheels (I'll mill them with a friends lathe) to see if there's a difference.

@rmrf, actually Benjamin Vedder mentioned those values and so I just adapted it and it works well:

- Tab "Motor Configuration - Motor": Motor max. = 60, Battery max. = 30 (*)
- Tab "Motor Configuration - Sensorless": min. ERPM = 50 and min. ERPM int lim = 600
- Tab "Advanced": Startup Boost = 0.030 (**)

(*) depending on you motor/battery setup you can limit the current to there respective limit independently
(**) you could increase that value up to 0.150, but not beyond!

Hey guys. Somebody bought my domain name Pediglide.com, and part of the deal is I let go of everything about pediglide. So in the next post, I will be now known as LEVer. Thanks.

Tada! So this is me now.

Oh btw, I have been testing the 83mm wheels on 9 inch trucks with the Sk3 6364 motor and it is working great. The motor is not as exposed as the 6374. It is also not as heavy, so the ride is still comfortable.

There are things that I recommend though:

1. Total weight of rider and board should not exceed 200 lb.

2. For smooth or semi-smooth surface only and must slow down for cracks or gaps on the road.

3. Not recommended on hilly terrain.

s573486492380142405_p7_i2_w640.jpeg

Pediglide said:
Hey guys. Somebody bought my domain name Pediglide.com, and part of the deal is I let go of everything about pediglide. So in the next post, I will be now known as LEVer. Thanks.
That's crazy talk. No way. You're famous! I would've just ignored them.

Lever, you can push your development to thier new site, stop sitting start riding (or gliding) ')

Hummina Shadeeba said:
That's crazy talk. No way. You're famous! I would've just ignored them.

Hehe, money talks my friend....and it talks very convincingly.

xdaass said:
Lever, you can push your development to thier new site, stop sitting start riding (or gliding) ')

I know huh? Maybe we can put wheels on those things, lol.

Back