So I bought a lathe...and made Hub Motors

What is the recommended configuration for V2 hub motors + VESC?
6s
8s
10s
12s :twisted: ??!

rmrf said:
What is the recommended configuration for V2 hub motors + VESC?
6s
8s
10s
12s :twisted: ??!

LEVer said:
I would highly recommend going 8s or 10s. The 18650 life span gets shortened quickly when you consistently ask it for max amps, much like using Li-poly with only 20C discharge. 8s or 10s will bring it to manageable levels. You will also start smoother because of the higher voltage and avoid annoying cutoffs from the Esc or Bms.

Top speed on anything over 6s is going to be really fast. However, 8s or 10s would mean less current and a lighter load on the ESC and all of your connections.

I have not personally used the VESC but hearing from my customers, here's what to expect.

6s, already plenty of power for a 200 lb load (rider+board). Easiest to let other friends try the board as it does not shoot under the rider with a slight pull of the trigger. Must use battery pack that can safely push out 140 amps.

8s, almost same as 6s except for the added startup speed and less motor heat.

10s, sports-zone. The board will leave you if you're not planted on it. Accelerates from standstill on inclines (rider weight-dependent). No one I know have gone full-throttle. :D

12s, expect a top speed near 50mph for a load setup of less than 200 lb. :shock:

I've modified my Yuneec E-GO to use 10s lipo so I have an extra yuneec 6s battery pack. it's nice and sleek and thin and easy to mount. Was wondering if you think think the yuneec battery pack can drive your single hub motor w/vesc or AMP output too low?

http://store.ezdrone.com/Yuneec-E-GO-Battery-Pack-p/egocr014.htm

thanks

So quick question. I messaged you on facebook, so sorry I havent gotten around to purchasing these yet but I will in the near future. I have 2 hobbywing 250 amp ESC's. I will probably get some 6s or 8s batteries. My question is can I wire up my longboard for all 4 hubs to be motorized? If so Is it possible for me to have 2 motors run off one of my ESC's? I have my current set up on a mountain board with 2 motors, 2 ESCs, and 2 Batteries. I was wondering if I could set it up for 4 motors, 2 ESC's, and 2 batteries. This may just be an over kill but where I live there are some pretty steep hills. I would hope just 2 hub motors would be perfectly fine, Just thought about 4 motors though since I have seen plenty of other things set up with more than 2 motors connected to one receiver.

Vanarian said:
I'm closing the gap soon and I wanted to ask : do you recommend a screw type for fixations or are your screws standard?

There's nothing special about the screws.

LEVer said:
10s, sports-zone. The board will leave you if you're not planted on it. Accelerates from standstill on inclines (rider weight-dependent). No one I know have gone full-throttle. :D
:shock:

[youtube]7wVagQ_LVd4[/youtube]

The V3 is suppose to be sensored. But I'm finding that with 8s or 10s, the Hub motors start as smoothly as any sensored setup. Also, with VESC and the Hubs, there's almost no need for sensors. There's only one pro with it, and that is starting smoothly, which seems to have been solved. But there are a few cons:

1. Since the hub motors are close to the road, the sensors will get dirty easily and be a nightmare to maintain.
2. The sensor's reading can fail at high speed.
3. It will be very expensive.

That doesn't mean the user can't upgrade the Hubs to sensored setup. They would just need to do it themselves. :D

When I briefly tried it with Flier ESC, I got almost halfway on the throttle at 27mph. Checked the watt-meter and peak was 20-point something amps. That's like 10A per motor at that speed. I couldn't go more because the Flier has weak brakes.

Make sure to choose really smooth roads if you're going to go 50mph. :shock:

Well if its 1Ah/mi on 6s, at an average of 20mph, that makess 20A average on 6s. Cut the amps in half at 12s, so probably around 10A average.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pro-90mm-GREEN-Flycore-Wheels-longboard-skateboard-downhill-metro-skate-ELECTRIC-/252083595547?hash=item3ab15a691b:g:m14AAOSw3ydV7TBp

The wheels in the last pictures are actually 97mm. But yeah, Ebay has got bunches of them on 83mm, 90mm, and 97mm.

Here is a 90mm with orange wheels:

Attachments

• 20151116_161856.jpg
    20151116_161856.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 2,771
  • 20151116_161946.jpg
    20151116_161946.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 2,771
I have to say, I really enjoy the ride on these hub motor. The coasting is really awesome- there's very little resistance (relatively, compared to my belt driven board).

I love being able to squeeze the trigger for some juice and then just coasting and carving. I don't even mind having to kick the board (at least on the flats)

Was wondering if it is user installable to upgrade single hub to dual?

tomtnt said:
I have to say, I really enjoy the ride on these hub motor. The coasting is really awesome- there's very little resistance (relatively, compared to my belt driven board).

I love being able to squeeze the trigger for some juice and then just coasting and carving. I don't even mind having to kick the board (at least on the flats)

Was wondering if it is user installable to upgrade single hub to dual?

The Single Hub, because of having just one motor, has the least resistance of all. It feels like you're on an endless downhill ride, but very controlled.

Installing another motor on the truck with the Hub motor already on it would be tricky. The truck needs to be turned down and the new motor machine-pressed on. Clamping it would damage the already installed motor.

watch the urethane fly off these hub motors at speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XptB3rC7EZs

lucky he was wearing leather.....

re: eBay wheels. Its the shipping that kills it for us aussies. If they came from china it might be better but USPS is $$$$. I can nearly buy genuine ones for the price of the knock offs ~$80 vs $100 aud. (not the 97mm)

Are you still evolving your design LEVer, or are you happy with where you're at?

Maybe custom rewind's to better suit 12s (less death defying speed) :mrgreen:

Back