Alien Drive Systems- ONDA board conversion..

made_in_the_alps_legacy said:
Tell me you have been using a 3D scanner to get the wooden mold shape so right, then I might really become jealous (just kidding :p )
..or was it some Cardboard Assisted Design ?
images

I wish..it was just using my eye (so you could call it a 3d scanner..lol) and experience..and solidworks modelling package......ha ha.. and amazingly i got it right first attempt..

torqueboards said:
Nice work beetbocks. Do you manually trim it with a dremmel? Do you actually get pretty precise straight lines? Can't really notice it from your photo.
Yes , mask it off with tape then cut off along the tape edge with a slit disc and then finish with a sanding drum .. i suppose I've had quite a bit of practice now..:)
I could not have built any of my boards with my trusty dremmel..

torqueboards said:
Haha nice.. What a great idea. I've always thought you used your 5th axis to trim the boards.
I don't have a 5 axis machine just a 3 axis mill..
All my molds that i sell are cut out on a coping saw then sanded flat on a bench sander..
I only really trim with the dremmel on the prototype builds for myself..

She lives ..nearly..
Just a few tweaks and shes ready for her maiden voyage... yippee im excited..
This board is so easy to fit things to..all the holes and grooves make it a joy to use...
20141116_220024_zpsemc3iwix.jpg

20141116_220318_zpsg6irklnx.jpg

20141116_220342_zpstiuumamy.jpg

i know - i do...its so much easier to build with the new power switch...
and you can seal up the enclosure better as you dont need a kill switch..
I just need to get the battery a bit better positioned or thinner maybe..
I need to test the range and see how small i can go.. as the rolling resistance is very low on this deck...

ive got it running on the bench but im still waiting for the battery to arrive so ill have to strap one on that ive made up for the test ride.. but it's running nice and smooth.. its so much easier to connect with the power switch...
[youtube]g5EmDWAtUNY[/youtube]

well she's moving and im quite impressed ..really smooth and easy to ride.. it was a bit wet so i didn't really push it... i would like to have the bushings softer so i can carve quicker but then you get mad torque steer when i accelerate..
Defiantly not a speed machine but great for a quick cruise..Very very low rolling resistance..
This is a very raw edit video ...
[youtube]HfFZfaItLlQ[/youtube]

Cute girl :wink: can't wait to see her with your battery enclosure
I see you use yellow/blue bushings, you can hardly be any softer than that... I guess you might ultimatly tend to black/red like myself,
torsionshockreference-3.gif

made_in_the_alps_legacy said:
Cute girl :wink: can't wait to see her with your battery enclosure
I see you use yellow/blue bushings, you can hardly be any softer than that... I guess you might ultimatly tend to black/red like myself,
torsionshockreference-3.gif

thanks..:0 i like the look of it myself..
well im running yellow/blue on front and blue/red on rear... i like to carve at low speeds so i would ideally like to use yellow all-round but i'm finding that the torque of the motor is twisting the plastic truck hanger... so i have to have the kingping really tight...i can turn better on a standard deck as i can have it set looser..
speed wobbles do not effect me...

+1 benj :wink:

your turning radius looks already quite short considering the wheelbase of that thing - (actually not sure TBH since I never rode a conventional longboard) but Yep, try with the soft bushings to tight the kingping (to the maximum) to maybe reduce "mad torque steer"...

kingping gets anyway loose rides after rides (unloaded by rider's weight (!) + vibrations) and needs to be regularly re-tightened, on the other hand, bushings tend to creep overtime on a longer timescale too.

benj said:
Really neat with the ESC, switch and readout, very cool. Have you considered putting batteries under the deck by removing some of the plastic struts? That's what I was going to do. I don't think you'd have to remove many so the flex would be OK :)
yes i did consider that..but i wanted to make it easy to fit and easily removable ... and i didn't want to start cutting the deck away..polymer is funny stuff...if you get it wrong..crack..and your decks useless...

The struds are probably calculated to be more than sturdy enough, but if you consider removing some, maybe put a little thicker cover plate below the whole deck and connect the plate with the deck around the cutout areas.

My test battery cover is on and fits nicely..just to wait for some clear skys to test..so that will be next year now..lol
Im just waiting on a new 7s battery to arrive and then ill make a 3mm thick battery and trim it properly..i was excited and just made a quick mold to see how it fits..
Bruno thinks i may have problems with the long battery cable and it spiking the ESC..so we shall see what happens

20141127_202344_zps5jnwtv2l.jpg

20141127_202353_zpsyicfrfe7.jpg

20141127_202338_zpslrs0f1pm.jpg

not entirely but it seems a more natural and better looking place at the front..it sort of balances out the ESC placement.. and the deck is rather small to start with ...
if i have a problem with the long wires i may have to go back to that..

some dudes were talking about adding some extra capacitors to the equation to deal with the spikes created by the long battery cables.. dunno how effective it is though, haven't played with it myself.

ive had a couple of very short test runs and it does seem the long battery wire is a problem ( the motor cuts out- under hard acceleration ) and i fell off the first time but i was prepared for it the 2nd time...still not good...
so im going to try to house in one enclosure at one end of the board...
i'm a bit busy with other projects but ill do my best..

You should try putting some low esr capacitors near the controller to help lower the effects of the large inductance of the long battery wires. Read the thread linked below for more info:

http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=22194

Back