10,000 rpm+ @ 12v?

I haven't watched the demo yet, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Xv-req4U8U but here it is.

WHAT?! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiMHTK15Pik

Very interesting. From what I can tell, they are using external magnets to re-direct some of the flux of the magnet assembly it came with to raise the KV of the motor.

This seems like taking a step in the wrong direction to me, as copper loss stays the same, but now it requires more current for a given unit of torque produced. The trade-off would be at high RPM's it should have less no-load losses from reduced flux concentrations in the PM assembly.

Seems very odd to me that this would improve the motor for a given application, unless for some reason that motor was just absolutely capped at 12v input being a hard limit and couldn't be re-wound to something with less turns for some reason.

But I could be totally mis-understanding it, I only looked at it for about 45seconds. lol

many years ago when i was importing slot car components, i ran across a small motor that was supposed to be a missile servo motor,,, they were about 3/4" in diameter and about 2" long,and would spin at 48000 rpm.. weighed about 2oz ..: power sourse for the track was 12v truck batteries..they were stainless steel body,completely sealed with shaft bearings at bothy ends..shaft was about 1/8"d... the mnagnets were so strong you had to use a pair of pliers to pull the armature out os the case.. they were used mostly for stock car models.. i was told they cost the US government $136.00 each..i bought them fo $10.00 each... one ran ,non stop, in a 48 hour endurance race that i sponsored... it won by over 200 laps.. also, a man in buffalo was rebuildind the japanese 26d motor[landed cost 75 cents[ he used silver,copper wiring, commutators and brushes... balanced on three planes.. they came bearings on both ends..never did know whast the rpm was, but it was much faster than the servo motors.. they averaged about 50 to 60 hours of intermitent running

Back