28,000 watt Motoped with 3kwh of nano-tech

Hi Matt,

You sounded a little concerned about the performance, due to the weight. Based on the performance the zero motorcycle, which is much heavier, I think it will be really quick!:
The prototype Zero SR I rode which had well over 60kw was pretty well mannered once off the line, and it does 0-100 in 3 seconds.

Yup, I am sure that is the case.

I am working on the Motoped this weekend. But, I am also working on a project with my son. I hope to start a thread on his project soon.

Matt

I finally did some work on the Motoped this weekend.

The drive system is mechanically complete. I am letting the cat out of the bag, so to speak, with this post. What I mean by that is, my extremely high power systems are moving from 1/2 inch shafts to the 7/8 inch shaft as shown in these pictures. (I will start a new thread on that at some point in the near future). Basically, the same bearing tube my drives have always used is maintained. The largest ID bearing I could fit into that existing bearing tube was a 7/8 inch needle bearing. So, my twin motor drives, and single motor drives that pull more than 10,000 watts will come with this new shaft. The large pulley hub is, now, stainless rather than the original aluminum and is TIG welded to the shaft. This eliminates one potential failure point (hub mounting to the shaft) and is EXTREMELY strong. The freewheel adapter is stainless also. It is made in a way that is reverse-able. So, switching from right hand drive to left hand drive is as simple as removing the freewheel and the adapter as a unit and flipping it around on the shaft and reinstalling it. Super simple.

This is my first drive to use a prototype 112 tooth main pulley (coupled with 16 tooth motor pulleys). I had a few of these huge pulleys made for situations like this where additional reduction is needed without adding another reduction stage. The pulley is quite large. So, adequate room within the chassis is needed. Therefore, this is not applicable to every installation. But, for the bike with room (and requiring additional reduction for super high RPM motors), this large pulley is a great option.

I fabricated a torque arm running from the stock chain idler bracket location to the output shaft. This will eliminate any chassis flex that would otherwise be encountered from the crazy high torque of the chain at that point. I simply TIG welded a split collar to the end of a 1/4 inch thick aluminum plate and machined the idler slot into it, then buffed off the welds for a clean look. The torque arm clamps around a bearing at the shaft end. One thing that is missing is a split collar that will go on the end of the shaft to prevent the torque arm from drifting outward on the shaft. I have that collar on order.

I also installed my new high capacity cooling fans onto the end of the motors. These new fans draw only 60 watts at full throttle, yet pull far more cooling air through the motors than my first generation fans.

If my math is correct, the overall gearing should be at or a bit below 40mph at full throttle at 12,000 motor RPM. This should be WAY beyond super cross HP per pound.

Oh, lastly, it looks like my initial estimate of 72ah of lipo in my pack was too high. My main box will hold 12s-64ah. However, I plan to TIG weld an aluminum box shaped roughly like a gas tank to hold various electronics and I will [hopefully] do my best to cram as much additional lipo into that enclosure.

My guess would be about 6 weeks to get it running. We will have to see if that estimate is anywhere near reality. :wink:

Matt

Attachments

• installed1.jpg
    installed1.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 4,500
  • installed2.jpg
    installed2.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 4,500
  • installed3.jpg
    installed3.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 4,500
Very compact. Can't wait to see vids and how it compares to the gas version on performance and distance. Not sure what's going on with Motoped. They still owe me a rear shock.

I agree about the look of the box. This is my first box (built by myself from scratch). I was unsure of what it should look like because nothing else with this layout exists that I have seen.

The size and shape of the box was dictated by the fact that is was designed for 72 AH of lipo. That is a lot of battery to fit in there. So, it had to be huge. That being said, I do not like the look either.......

After a lot of thought on the look of the box, here are my thoughts;

First, the look will improve once I build the "Tank" above the box that will hold the rest of the electronics. That faux tank will help offset the look of the big box beneath it.
Second, the box will be powder-coated matte black. That will reduce the dominant look of it.
Third, I plan on adding a few edge guards and other little bits to the box to dress it up. I hope this will improve the look as well.
Lastly, I may have a few [tasteful] stickers and/or lettering on the sides of the box. That will help visually break up the massive acreage of the sides of the box.

Of course, all that being said, it may still look odd.......

We shall see.

One thing I know for sure is, every one of my builds tends to look strange at certain points of the process. But, they tend to come together at the end.

If it really looks bad when it is completed, I will redesign the box for a better look.

Time will tell!

Matt

A photo from a bit more distance may show the scale of the box in a better light :D

Subscribed.
True craftsmanship here Matt. Like the belts. Would it be possible to use belts all over rather then chain to make a more quiet ride?
Or will belts eat up too much power, being less efficient then chain?

Dude, do you have a website, photo gallery of your previous builds or anything like that? I would really like to see more of your great work.

macribs said:
Subscribed.
True craftsmanship here Matt. Like the belts. Would it be possible to use belts all over rather then chain to make a more quiet ride?
Or will belts eat up too much power, being less efficient then chain?

Dude, do you have a website, photo gallery of your previous builds or anything like that? I would really like to see more of your great work.

A belt from the jackshaft to the rear wheel would be doable. However, a belt from the output of the drive to the jackshaft would be difficult because of the freewheel there. Great idea, though.

I do have a web site, but it just shows my drive units. We are building a new web site right now that should be up and running in October.

Matt

macribs said:
Subscribed.
True craftsmanship here Matt.

Hi,
Twin motored PK Ripper--A little over the top!:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=9534
20 inch full suspension twin 3220 build begins!:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=37539

Hi,

[youtube]WKAMus3oSdw[/youtube]

"Custom Build Gallery, Matt’s 50-MPH Monster Yellow Trike"
http://www.electricbike.com/50mph-monster-electric-trike/

"Custom Build Gallery, Matt’s 20-inch Astro Hooligan"
http://www.electricbike.com/matts-astro-hooligan/

"Custom Build Gallery, Deecanios Astro mid drive"
http://www.electricbike.com/deecanios-astro-mid-drive/

"Custom Build Gallery, Roy’s eCortina"
http://www.electricbike.com/roys-ecortina/

"Custom Build Gallery, MattyCiii’s A-line"
http://www.electricbike.com/custom-build-ebike/

spinningmagnets said:
"Custom Build Gallery, Matt’s 50-MPH Monster Yellow Trike"
http://www.electricbike.com/50mph-monster-electric-trike/

"Custom Build Gallery, Matt’s 20-inch Astro Hooligan"
http://www.electricbike.com/matts-astro-hooligan/

"Custom Build Gallery, Deecanios Astro mid drive"
http://www.electricbike.com/deecanios-astro-mid-drive/

"Custom Build Gallery, Roy’s eCortina"
http://www.electricbike.com/roys-ecortina/

"Custom Build Gallery, MattyCiii’s A-line"
http://www.electricbike.com/custom-build-ebike/

Great! Well done.
A tip for you is to include a link to those from the menu bar on the site. Internal linking is one of the key element to SEO. Will help make sure
electricbike will show up even more often in Google. As I took a quick look I couldn't find links from your main page to either these pages you linked to here or the mid motor gallery. Your site holds lot of great content which is good cos content is king - but even structure and internal links are important to get the most out of search engines.

Edited:
Nice touch pulling links dynamicly. Didn't catch that at first glance. It sure helps them spiders crawling. But in-menu will be even more valuable.

After 12 hours of work, the tank is nearly done. The 3kwh of Lipo will be in the lower box and all other electronics will be in the tank. There will be controllers, large power switch, throttle interface, regulators, GPS power supply, relays, a couple digital displays, and a lot of wiring. The lower box with the batteries will only house batteries with a couple terminals protruding near the top for the 4 gauge power wires from the controllers to attach to. There is a slight chance I may add a couple lipo packs to the tank as a "Limp Home" power reserve if there is room.

Anyway, now you can see that the lower box looks fine when coupled with the tank. I just need to do some final weld cleanup with the flap disc. Most of the bike will be flat black. It will have a very sinister look. I also want to add a wild Super-Motard nose fairing with twin LED headlights. I need to find a decent looking front fender too. Any suggestions on a nose fairing and fender?

Oh, I designed the tank to be somewhat of a super bike look. It looks like it protrudes a bit high. However, it is almost identical in profile to the stock Motoped tank. Actually, when you take the gas cap into account, the tank is far shorter. I also plan on adding some adhesive backed neoprene padding to the crotch area of the tank. After many design considerations, this was the best look for this type of bike.

I may add a 1,200 watt charger under the seat for on-board charging. We shall see. The bike is a bit heavy already. So, that may be omitted for weight saving reasons. Of course, a bit of weight is actually quite helpful with this much power.

Matt

Attachments

• tank2.jpg
    tank2.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 3,506
  • tank1.jpg
    tank1.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 3,506
  • tank3.jpg
    tank3.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 3,506
  • tank4.jpg
    tank4.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 3,506
The tank looks great, look forward to seeding it painted.

-JD

TIG welding aluminium is rather satisfying isn't it? Good job on the tank/battery box marriage, simple aggressive lines. The design aspect of builds like these is half the fun, right down to the little gussets.
What is the wheelbase? Guessing it would be a bit longer than my 1100mm or 44 inches

Smooth Matt. Really liked what you did with the "moto fuel tank". It kind of bring it all together.
Strong lines well fitted for 25kw aggressive motor.

Ecobogan said:
TIG welding aluminium is rather satisfying isn't it? Good job on the tank/battery box marriage, simple aggressive lines. The design aspect of builds like these is half the fun, right down to the little gussets.
What is the wheelbase? Guessing it would be a bit longer than my 1100mm or 44 inches

I have to measure the wheelbase and get back to you.

Yes, TIG welding is very satisfying, partly because it is so difficult to do well (I am not the greatest, but I am learning) and partly because it takes so long.

Anyway, metal working in general, is time consuming.

Matt

Nice work Matt. I plan to get a welder one day. Seems like any aspects of metal work takes a long time. I've been enamored with 3D printing lately. The best part is lack of setup time. The Motoped seat I picked up had to be modified. The CNC work would of taken a better part of my day. It took no time at all on a 3D Printer other than waiting for it to print. First cut too!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 3,354
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 3,352
I've been trying to dig out specs on the Stealth Bombers' wheelbase to no avail. Scaling it off the photo looks to be at least 52'', that's easily more than 5'' longer than mine. I'm very interested in this wheelbase caper at the moment, it holds a decent percentage of the handling traits for of any vehicle..........so what's yours then?

You got it. The motoped wheelbase is 52 inches.

I think this bike will handle wonderfully. The batteries are low and forward. The mass centralization as a whole is very good, near perfect.

Matt

Here are some pictures for you.

I am looking forward to getting the frame and boxes powder-coated. The bike will also have a nose fairing of some sort and a front fender.

Matt

Attachments

• bike4.jpg
    bike4.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 4,508
  • bike8.jpg
    bike8.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 4,508
  • bike10.jpg
    bike10.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 4,508
  • bike11.jpg