• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

28,000 watt Motoped with 3kwh of nano-tech

Where did you get the rear fairings. I like it better than the ones I picked up.

file.php

cal3thousand said:
I'm always impressed by your work but this is absolute tits!

Hellz ya!!

storm-trooper-babe.jpg

Beautiful build! I am really curious what sorts of efficiency you see. My electric Motoped is only equipped with 0.8kwh, and I see about 50-70wh/mi! Doesn't get the range I want, has too much power and is too heavy. I'm sort of done with mine and need to sell it off. I like where you are taking yours and hope your ready for that crazy beast!

I know these things are heavy. It should be very rugged though. I have 2.4kwh of usable capacity. I am hoping for one hour of hard riding per charge.

The tank top is done. All that is left is mounting the side covers (radiator scoops) and wiring up the throttle and controllers. I figure I am 8 to 10 hours of labor away from riding it.

Matt

Here is another picture of the Motoped. I was really unhappy with the look of the plastic side panels. To that end, I redesigned them and cut my own set out of 2mm carbon. I think they look much better! I also fabricated the high current switch panel on top of the tank. I hope to machine the aluminum gas cap to fit over the switch. Activation would be accomplished by rotating the gas cap. :D

I just received my 2 gauge wire and accessories. So, I can finish the wiring soon. I have about 6 to 8 hours of work left to get it running!

Matt

Attachments

• panel1.jpg
    panel1.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 4,319
  • panel2.jpg
    panel2.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 4,319
Hi,

recumpence said:
I know these things are heavy. It should be very rugged though.

Matt
Rough how much does it weigh?

I have not weighed it yet. I am guessing it will weigh in at about 125 pounds.

Bear in mind, this is a beast. It has 64ah of battery pack, twin motors, etc. But, the Motoped frame set is no light weight.

It should still be a fast bike, though!

Matt

Hi, why there is no update so long? I am cant wait for it to be complete! Long time I am planing to build somethinkg like that but much lighter. I wanna see what that power does. ;)

The Motoped is running!

I only have a few pics to show right now. I will get more posted soon.

Right now it is topping out at around 30mph. That should be perfect for trail riding, but, admittedly, it is too slow for the street. I will change the motor pulleys and gear it up for most riding.

The power is phenomenal! I have the throttle response set for #2 in the controllers. This gives a very soft throttle (slow ramp up). This makes the bike very easy to ride. I even let my inexperienced 16 year old ride it. He was fine. He came back with the biggest EV grin I have ever seen. :mrgreen:

This thing has absolutely STUPID power! It is like riding a 250cc super cross bike stuck in 3rd gear. It has tons of power. What I plan on doing is gearing it up for around 40mph and increasing the throttle response in the controllers for a harder hit.

Matt

(Sorry for the sideways image)

Attachments

• bikelowrez1.jpg
    bikelowrez1.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 3,811
Awesome Matt. This brings bme back to memories of the start of my excitment with e bikes. When I first saw an e dirt bike I think it was called a drift bike or something I knew I had to have an ebike. Your bike here brings things to a new level. Way to go. Looking forward to some videos.

OK, I did some serious work and testing on the Motoped today.

First, I finished the on-board charging. It works great, with one exception--- The charger gets a touch too hot and shuts down about 20% of the time. No biggie. I just need to improve the airflow a touch. No problem at all. The charger is hidden in the silencer totally out of sight. I love it!

Second, the bike weighs in at a portly 150 pounds! Holy crap, I had no idea it would be so heavy. Admittedly that weight is mainly in the heavy Motoped frame and the 64ah of battery pack on board along with the on-board charger. This thing feels and runs like a motorcycle, not a bicycle.

Third, I experimented with gearing and controller settings and found my initial gearing and controller settings to be perfect! Geared for 35mph or under, it pulls like a freight train, all components run nice and cool, and the controllers are well within their limits. Geared over 40mph makes the controllers shut down once in a while, they run hot, current ripple goes up, and overall, the bike is stressed. Now, that stress is only on the pavement while leaning over the bars as far as I can and accelerating at the absolute limit and only occasionally does the bike object. So, I would say 40mph is the highest gearing for street use. Geared around 35mph gives motocrosser power level, endless torque, smooth running, and a very reliable setup.

Here are the numbers;

Geared over 40mph the bike pulled 28,000 watts from the battery (obviously that is not output power, but battery discharge power it pulled). Geared for 34mph, it pulled 24,000 watts and never gave me a single hiccup. It pulls nice controlled power wheelies and likes to be ridden just like a 125.

The brakes are pretty much at their limit on this bike. I can see why Motoped went with them. These are the biggest rotors and 4 piston calipers. The calipers get pretty warm and the rotors are not blue, but still very hot.

The suspension is just barely enough for this kind of bike. It is fine, but just barely adequate. Any less suspension quality would be glaring. I can see why people upgrade to the higher quality suspension. I like this for general trail riding, though. The damping is decent and the overall ride quality is fine.

One thing I would prefer is a smaller front wheel. This thing is HUGE. I almost feel like installing the same rear rim and tire on the front. Maybe not. I just don't like that huge wheel.

Oh, this thing should be good for a couple hours of riding with this enormous pack!

I will post more pictures soon. My camera is giving me grief.......

Matt

Beautiful! The detail is stunning.... i think the new side panels, gives the feel of extreme forward speed. :shock:

Here are a bunch of pictures. I decided to use a different camera as my previous camera was just not working properly.

You can see how everything is relatively integrated. This bike has so many different design elements that work well together in some ways and not so well in others. It is not the most dynamic looking build I have done, but it looks fine and runs really strong. With the weight this thing has, the huge power (24,000 watts from the battery, so probably around 30hp peak at the motors) is put to good use.

I have been doing some off road riding and the bike rides phenomenally well. I did a bit of suspension adjustment fiddling and I have it riding like the last 125 I owned. This thing is not doing any arena-cross, that is for sure. But, it rides just like a 125 (an extremely light 125) for general riding with mild air thrown in (yes, I got some air with it). :mrgreen:

This bike has the peak power of a 125, the torque of a 450 four stroke, at the weight of a 80cc minibike. It is really a joy to ride. So far, no issues. No screws have loosened up, not electrical woes, nothing. It just runs.

Oh, the pedals are a complete waste of time on this thing. I know they are there for legality purposes. But, I am actually nervous to ride this thing on the roads. I am absolutely positive I will get pulled over by the police every time I take it out. Also, with twin motors, it starts from a stop perfectly fine. I will order the foot peg kit for it and see how it feels as a pure dirt bike.

Anyway, enjoy the pictures!

Matt

Attachments

• ped1.jpg
    ped1.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 3,630
  • ped2.jpg
    ped2.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 3,630
  • ped4.jpg
    ped4.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 3,628
  • ped5.jpg
    ped5.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 3,628
  • ped7.jpg
    ped7.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 3,628
  • ped8.jpg
    ped8.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 3,628
  • ped10.jpg
    ped10.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 3,628
  • ped11.jpg
    ped11.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 3,628
  • ped13.jpg
    ped13.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 3,628
Yeehaw!
Great job as always Mr.S.
Love the detail on the on board charger/silencer.

Awesome. I love how it sounds.

I'd really like to see some videos fro your point of view / handlebar point of view.

Wheazel said:
Nice build in many ways, but whats the reasoning behind the 32-35mph topspeed gearing?
Seems out of line and unpractical with such power.
I had it geared for 43 to 45 mph and honestly it was too fast. On the road 35 is too slow, off road it is perfect.

My plan is to add delta/wye switching soon. That will give me 35mph in wye and 50 in delta.

Matt

Back