3000W alibaba hub motor good?

hey a friend of mine sells kits from this company.
I will ask him if he knows anything about this beast :evil:

Those pictures look just like the Cromotor because they are pictures of the Cromotor. Many of them I took myself. I also noticed several of Greyborg's pictures on there.

Just another picture thief

if anyone cares for a status update:

i wanted to read out the no-load speed on 58V, but my bike speedo only goes to 99kmh. on 26" no load speed seems to be about 110kmh

7VnIy.png

with block time 1s my wattmeter says about 2600W max (seems ok)
fastest i've gone for now is 72 Kmh (on a 48V 20AH LiFePo pack) (i need some überbrakes now :-/ suggestions?)

i need about 200WH for a hilly, stop-and-go, 8km ride (not going easy on the throttle /but mostly city traffic. going 45/50 most of the time)

in my opinion this motor should go in a smaller wheel, and it should be fun as frock.

If your no load is 110kph and top speed 72kph, then you're way over geared and need a much smaller wheel, though the current limits could be severely holding you back, especially the way too high phase/battery limit ratio. With a high power motor and light load you really need to exceed 80% of no load or you have too big a wheel. The most I run on similar motors that I've used since 2008 is a 14" moto rim that ends up with an OD of 19-20" depending on the tire.

John in CR said:
If your no load is 110kph and top speed 72kph, then you're way over geared and need a much smaller wheel, though the current limits could be severely holding you back, especially the way too high phase/battery limit ratio. With a high power motor and light load you really need to exceed 80% of no load or you have too big a wheel. The most I run on similar motors that I've used since 2008 is a 14" moto rim that ends up with an OD of 19-20" depending on the tire.

This 3000w hubmotor is a mid range KV somewhere around 13 I think. I know I posted my test results. I ordered mine in a 17" moped rim but I have not ridden this motor yet, I've only used it for bench testing so far. It sucks that is has a big gap between one of the magnets in the ring as I can clearly hear it mess up the motor timing until Lebowkis controller goes sensorless. On a sensored controller it sounds imbalanced.

Unless a high KV motor has a very wide stator and large diameter (like Johns motors), they will not do well in a large diameter rim. They need to be run in small diameter setups to take advantage of them. My high speed Cromotor in a 14" rim with a 18" OD street tire rips pretty hard. If it was placed into a 25" diameter tire it would suck.

zombiess said:
It sucks that is has a big gap between one of the magnets in the ring as I can clearly hear it mess up the motor timing until Lebowkis controller goes sensorless. On a sensored controller it sounds imbalanced.
Have you tried to get those magnets of the back iron? In some Chinese, not so expensive no name motors, magnets are just marginally bonded. :D After you pop them off, you can bond them with slow 2 hour epoxy and adjust the space after you have them all in. Takes less then 30 minutes to get 46 magnets in.

Lebowski's controller isn't going to fix that magnet issue. It overcomes misaligned halls, but not a gap in the magnets. I wouldn't risk any of my controllers trying to run a rotor like that. Send them a picture, and tell them to get you a replacement rotor. Maybe you're lucky and the epoxy is just as poor, so you can get the magnets off without damage. Some cheap epoxy isn't going to cut it though. Didn't BigMoose have some good stuff, or know where to get it? Getting them spaced exactly won't be as easy as it seems either.

Personally I wouldn't waste my time and would try to get satisfaction through the vendor, and if that doesn't fly chalk it up to being out there on the front lines. Compared to a trip to China to establish vendors the cost is nothing. I've only be clipped by one, an outfit out of Malaysia.

John in CR said:
Lebowski's controller isn't going to fix that magnet issue. It overcomes misaligned halls, but not a gap in the magnets. I wouldn't risk any of my controllers trying to run a rotor like that. Send them a picture, and tell them to get you a replacement rotor. Maybe you're lucky and the epoxy is just as poor, so you can get the magnets off without damage. Some cheap epoxy isn't going to cut it though. Didn't BigMoose have some good stuff, or know where to get it? Getting them spaced exactly won't be as easy as it seems either.

Personally I wouldn't waste my time and would try to get satisfaction through the vendor, and if that doesn't fly chalk it up to being out there on the front lines. Compared to a trip to China to establish vendors the cost is nothing. I've only be clipped by one, an outfit out of Malaysia.

I purchased this motor to illustrate the issues with these bargain basement motor sellers (but was hoping to get something somewhat usable). For a little more I could have purchased a Cromotor or one of your motors retail, but that would have defeated the purpose. Instead I got a 40mm wide stator, 23 pole motor, with 14 gauge phase wires, a KV around 13, dual halls, miss aligned magnets, a out of round 17" moped rim laced radially that can not be trued better than my LBS could do it and the junkiest freewheel I've ever seen. It only took around 45 days to get it too! Pretty good deal huh? :p

I posted the specs and external/internal pictures on page 4 and 5 of this thread.

I'm pretty stoked with it actually. I think the build quality is good, it handles the 5kw i pump through it well enough, I don't ride around at that power all the time, but temps never get too high on the coils when I do...

For the money (about $600 delivered if I recall...) it's worthwhile. My front rim came pre-laced and needed re-lacing but I still maintain it was a good purchase.

Andy

Hey Zombiess, I wasn't even paying attention that you were the one with the misaligned magnets. If more than one got a motor from them remotely similar to yours, then I'd consider them a junk dealer. After trying some exporters, I gave up even trying that route, because they don't really know what they are getting, and typically know squat about motors and can't get details.

Animalector said:
I'm pretty stoked with it actually. I think the build quality is good, it handles the 5kw i pump through it well enough, I don't ride around at that power all the time, but temps never get too high on the coils when I do...

For the money (about $600 delivered if I recall...) it's worthwhile. My front rim came pre-laced and needed re-lacing but I still maintain it was a good purchase.

Andy

What about the torque? Does it have as much as the cromotor? That's the most important thing to my eye

cwah said:
Animalector said:

Andy

What about the torque? Does it have as much as the cromotor? That's the most important thing to my eye

Not even close, it's a 40mm wide stator. Even if you feed it enough amps to make up the difference of the KV being higher thus needing more amps to produce the same torque as a motor with more turns, the phase wires are tiny and need to be replaced. This motor is probably along the same lines as a Crystalyte 40xx series.

They now advertise it with 50mm magnets:
Screenshot%202014-04-22%2008.11.23.png

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/High-power-5kw-motor-wheel-electric-wheel-5kw-electric-bike-wheel-5kw/1502643380.html

Torque is maybe now closer to the cromotor?

cwah said:
They now advertise it with 50mm magnets:
Torque is maybe now closer to the cromotor?
That's the 5000W motor, not the 3000W motor. Torque all depends if the motor is wound for it or not. It could have more torque with slower wind and less speed or less torque and higher speed with faster wind.

The price difference between it and a Cromotor is about $50. It's lower quality than the Cromotor for sure based on my first hand experience with the motor I got from them. My 40mm motor came with messed up magnet spacing and very thin phase wires, it's usable (I think, the magnet spacing worries me), but typical Chinese quality. I would absolutely NOT purchase it with a rim (mine is out of round even after paying to have it trued), they are junk and the lacing they do is even worse.

Be warned that some of those pictures are stolen and do not represent the actual motor, do not think you are getting a genuine Cromotor, you are not, the axle setup looks totally different as well.

wesnewell said:
Torque all depends if the motor is wound for it or not. It could have more torque with slower wind and less speed or less torque and higher speed with faster wind.
no thats not true at all. it doesn't matter for what kV a motor is wound. the torque the motor is able to produce, or the power losses at a given torque output will be almost exactly the same.
the only difference is the one motor need high amps and the other motor need high volts for the same amount of torque.

@ architectonic: the pic is not stolen. look at the axle - its not like the one in cromotor. cromotor axle is stronger.

Not even close, it's a 40mm wide stator. Even if you feed it enough amps to make up the difference of the KV being higher thus needing more amps to produce the same torque as a motor with more turns, the phase wires are tiny and need to be replaced. This motor is probably along the same lines as a Crystalyte 40xx series.

All this was about a poorly assembly 40mm motor. LOL!!! To put things in perspective, in 2008 I purchased 5 well built 16kv 40mm motors from the factory that holds the Chinese patent for that 51 slot design so widely used. The 5 cost me a total of right at $1000 ($200ea). That included sea shipping, proper moto rims, spokes, ceramic connection blocks for phase and battery wires, DC/DC converters, AND controllers for each motor. Of course back then ES was still dominated by pedalists, and no one wanted to hear about motors designed to go on things without pedals, so everyone but me missed out on the ebike bargain of the century.

Now that you guys are interested in those old style motors that I consider obsolete, I've moved on to the best hubmotors in the world that combine much higher efficiency with high power. I'm sure that by the time you guys show real interest in them other than to put them on pig heavy e-motos, I'll be on to something even better.

A word of advise. If you're trying to find a motor supplier, you really need to get directly with a factory, not these middlemen.

Not even close, it's a 40mm wide stator. Even if you feed it enough amps to make up the difference of the KV being higher thus needing more amps to produce the same torque as a motor with more turns, the phase wires are tiny and need to be replaced. This motor is probably along the same lines as a Crystalyte 40xx series.[/quote]

All this was about a poorly assembly 40mm motor. LOL!!! To put things in perspective, in 2008 I purchased 5 well built 16kv 40mm motors from the factory that holds the Chinese patent for that 51 slot design so widely used. The 5 cost me a total of right at $1000 ($200ea). That included sea shipping, proper moto rims, spokes, ceramic connection blocks for phase and battery wires, DC/DC converters, AND controllers for each motor. Of course back then ES was still dominated by pedalists, and no one wanted to hear about motors designed to go on things without pedals, so everyone but me missed out on the ebike bargain of the century.

Now that you guys are interested in those old style motors that I consider obsolete, I've moved on to the best hubmotors in the world that combine much higher efficiency with high power. I'm sure that by the time you guys show real interest in them other than to put them on pig heavy e-motos, I'll be on to something even better.

A word of advise. If you're trying to find a motor supplier, you really need to get directly with a factory, not these middlemen.[/quote]

We want one of these motors we can mount directly on rear forks. Currently the only decent candidates are this one and the cromotor.

Do you have anything we can fit in a bike dropout?

And weighs ~10kg and comes in a 26" wheel :)

AFAIK rare-earth magnet costs have greatly increased the cost of motors nowadays?

Back