• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

3D Printed Custom Infineon Controller Case/Enclosure

Hello Peoples of Endless-Sphere!

I come today seeking a few things as well as maybe helping others!
As you can tell by the title of this post, I am trying to Design and make a 3D printed Housing for a 9 fet IRFB4110 Infineon Controller seen here:

vi1mkg.jpg

9 fet IRFB4110 Infineon Controller (Motor With Hall Sensors)

As you can see and probably know there is a mess of wires leading out from the controller that controls multiple different things.
Most of which connects to the front of your bike (Brakes, CA if you have one, Throttle, etc).
There are also wires that connect to the motor but those are pretty standard and wont really bother you.
Now what I'm trying to make at the moment is sorta like a hub which houses the controller which i will rewire to house female pairings of multi-core connectors.

Currently i have two prototypes in progress:

• Code Name: Alpha
14xo0e9.jpg
24ecem8.jpg

• One that will house the entire aluminum shell inside as well for extra protection

The above model was designed the house the entire aluminum shell which offers more of a protective barrier for the parts inside.
This one was designed specifically to latch onto the frame of my bike rack (Can be easily altered to latch tightly onto any part of they bike given the measurements)

The Front Face where the controller slides in will have a faceplate that will have multi-Core female connectors embedded.

2rdb22h.jpg
14l2gm1.jpg

These connectors will allow me to consolidate all that wiring coming out of the the controller into a clean single line.
Ground wires will all share the same line as the connectors and wires I am using are more then adequate.
The controller will be very snug inside so there is no space for it to bang around.

PROS:
  • Much more sturdy because it contains the aluminum frame giving it a layer of extra protection
  • More straight forward construction with less parts and simplified wiring

CONS:
  • Will be overall larger then Omega to accommodate the shell of the controller
  • Difficult to wire due to space constraints

• Code Name: Omega
work-in-progress.png

• Only contain the components.

This is a work in progress which i haven't had time to fully develop yet (its really close, a lot of small details to consider).
The general idea is the same as prototype Alpha however, Omega will be the bare components of the Infineon controller.
Another difference is the location of the connectors. I plan to have them mounted not on the face plate but on the top.
The reason for this (Will better understand with Schematic i will upload later) is so that it can be as compact as possible.

PROS:
  • Much more compact and space efficient than Alpha
  • Will be able to work much better with wiring and spacing inside
  • More options available in terms of mounting location

CONS:
  • Will be much more complex in terms of shape and design
  • Will have several more parts to accommodate fastening locations and stabilizers.

Cross Section Test

30jocaw.jpg

The test print of the cross section of the box was a success (Earlier model without weight and space consideration).
After applying a little force, the prototype snapped onto the frame and was so secure it would not budge.
Having force points of contact should be more then sturdy. I was even able to lift the bike up from it!

Problems And Advice Required!

a2t47m.jpg
2urpavd.jpg

So my problem now is that i am not a expert on the controller nor its internal wiring. I am use to soldering and fabrication but only know basics of electronics.
I need to know what does each wire do in the above picture. Such as 5 Pin Connector is the XXXXXX and the Pin Configuration is XXXXXXXXXX.
That way i can tell which ones are ground wires and bind them together, etc...
Another issue is i need to know where each wire will lead to such as whether it will be heading to front of the bike or stay in the back.
My bike currently has all wires other then the ones leading to the motor and battery, lead to the front handles.

24e1446.png

I made a schematic of the wires leading out of the controller as you can see above.
The J# is the assigned name to that connection, but it also shows where the top of the connector is.
If someone could maybe let me know what each connection does, i would be grateful!

Example:

• J3: Positive Connector to the battery
    J4: Negative Connector to the battery
    J5: 1. Data In 2. Ground
    ETC...

One of the reasons for the metal enclosure is for the metal to act as a Heat Sink. I would recommend incorporating possible Air Scoop's and channeling into the design to direct air flow onto the controllers casing.

Particularly onto the outer casing where the Mosfets are located. I'd also keep the ABS material from direct contact near where the mosfets are radiating heat into the casing.

After the bike stops that casing is going heat up FAST as the air cooling is halted. So the ABS material is going bake, soften and degrade.

As a Computer Guy I'd find a way to incorporate some passive cooling in direct contact on the mosfet side of the casing. And then design the outer ABS shell around that.

2 cents :wink:

As SWD said, the case of the controller is designed as a heat sink. the controller is designed to get hot, and could get over 200 degrees in normal operation. That's the reason for the grooves cut in the case, those are heat fins for cooling.

A 3D printed case sounds awesome, but it's only going to work if you can print sintered metal.

I take it that the case in its entirety will not hit 200 as mine has never gone anything near over 40 C yet. I can see that the Mosfets used thermal paste like processors do on a computer where the heat sink meets the case.
If that is the case i will have to go with Alpha as to incorporate the actual case itself. I will update the original post in a bit a modified version.

SouthWindDuck said:
One of the reasons for the metal enclosure is for the metal to act as a Heat Sink. I would recommend incorporating possible Air Scoop's and channeling into the design to direct air flow onto the controllers casing.

Particularly onto the outer casing where the Mosfets are located. I'd also keep the ABS material from direct contact near where the mosfets are radiating heat into the casing.

After the bike stops that casing is going heat up FAST as the air cooling is halted. So the ABS material is going bake, soften and degrade.

As a Computer Guy I'd find a way to incorporate some passive cooling in direct contact on the mosfet side of the casing. And then design the outer ABS shell around that.

2 cents :wink:

So i took what you said into consideration and modified the the Case to be almost like a harness. I added a cooling vent to the top of the frame as that will be where most of the dispersed heat will be. As for the mosfets on the side, i have opened up the sides so that no Plastic will be in contact with that area. I also added a small vent on the sides to increase the flow between the heat sinking frame. See the New Update of Alpha for changes

Looks good. I have toyed with the idea of consolodating all the wiring into one connector, it really would clean up the install. I run a 9c through a Lyen controller and consistently put 1.5-2 Kw through it for a full 600wh charge and my controller barely hits 30 deg C. Unless you plan to run high power for long periods heat should not be an issue, just make sure its not sealed in your case and you have some kind of airflow.
Tony

I can understand still that Omega build would be difficult without adequate heat sinking. i would need to use some type of metal channel inside to disperse the head without it heating up the surrounding. For now i will concentrate of Alpha. Seems like the better bet having some type of skeletal system that anchors the controller to the bike. Any idea about what the wires leading out of the controller do?

Back