• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

3rd world(South Africa) EEB (cheaply)possible?

TheBorgyW

100 µW
Hi Folks!

I want to build/buy an Enduro Ebike for commuting. There are some hills, most 6% grade, one 8.8%. The roads in general are not in a great condition, but the tar shoulder is sometimes nonexistent so there might be a few KM of dirt riding. The end goal would be EEB frame + required components to be able to do at least 60km a day round trip at 60+kmh.

At this stage buying a complete bike from enduroebike.com (stayer model) seems to be the best cost effective route for me. The exchange rate(~15x) and shipping to ZA kills my budget, and then I need to factor in customs duties when it arrives.

Building from components if I cannot ship from the same supplier seems to be more trouble due to higher shipping overhead costs. But building from components means I can EM3EV seems to cater for most of the parts, I still need to get a shipping quote.

The reason I am not excited about that model is that the controller and motor seem to be limited to 48v max. So if I upgrade to a higher voltage battery(that need for speed), I would need new a controller and motor.

The more expensive adrenaline model at $2900 uses a sabvoton controller and motor that already caters for higher voltages and speed.

So for those with experience in making this decision, should I:
  1. Buy stayer and hope I needn't upgrade soon
  • Save much longer for adrenaline model
  • Try the component route
  • Some other option I have missed(all in one component supplier or complete bike seller)

I would like to pay less than $2500 including shipping, but anything up to $3650 can be considered as that is the price of the adrenaline model with shipping to ZA.

Now my battery is flat I and I need to find the coffee machine.

Typically the voltage limit will apply to the controller, not the motor. So if you upgrade to say 72V one day, you would only need a controller that can handle the higher voltage, the motor will be fine.

Just something to consider when you're deciding what to buy.

If you're riding in south africa on and off the side of the road you will want moped wheels and tires at least with heavy duty tubes for increased puncture protection.

Too expensive. Get a used mtb and do a bbshd. Use a phaserunner 72v if you need more kick.
Eeb are heavy unstealthy and handle like crap.

60kph for 60km is unreasonable for that price, you are better off with a moped. You would need to stack the eeb to the brim with 360+ cells. The battery alone would cost 2/3 of your budget.

I wouldnt bother with an EEB in South Africa. Just buy yourself a nice, brand name, mountain bike that is full suspension, like an All-Mountain or a Downhill bike. Be sure though that there is lots of room in the triangle. Some are better then others. Then you can put your battery in the triangle.

The EEB's are just home brew geometry. The brand name bicycles have millions of dollars of engineering behind them. As appossed to some chinese bicycle frame maker getting into the ebike revolution game.

Exactly. The eeb isn't the holy grail, it is a cheap and dirty solution when you aren't bothered with weight, stealth, and off road handling. People are too quick to give all that up.

You didn't say if you can charge at your destination, that would free up some possibilites.

According to your signature block,you already ride an e-bike, so you should have a strong opinion of what you do and don’t like about your bike. You laid out some goals, 60KM range at 60KMH and some steep hills. 60 K is just under 40 miles at 60KPH or over 37MPH.

You need to ask yourself if you are confident you have the skills to build it yourself? Do you have basic tools plus maybe a few special bike tools like a BB wrench? If needed can you make or modify brackets, fittings or mounts? Can you use a multimeter and do basic wiring? DC voltage at high amps can be deadly, are you confident you can safely work with high voltage batteries and connections?

IF yes, then building is usually cheaper than buying pre-built and always more rewarding.
IF no, then buy local. There are several e-bike shops in South Africa that would love to add you to their list of customers.
IF you decide to do it yourself, you can still source the parts locally and the VAT and customs is already included and the local supplier can often help with your build. “CHILLED SQUIRREL”, is just one example of a seller who wants your business.
On the other hand, ordering the kit or parts from China will be the cheapest way to go, in most cases even after shipping, customs and taxes.

With the budget you list, I think meeting your goals is doable.
I personally would go mid-drive, 72 volts with a big efficient battery pack using top quality name brand cells from Samsung or LG.

Back