Schwinn Biggity DLX

Brentis

10 kW
It's a curse really. This place called Endless-sphere.com.
Spend too much time reading and your mind fills with wild ideas of the next build.
Maybe the ultimate build. You can't shake it damnit.

My dream of the ultimate ebike has changed over the years.
I, like most here, really wanted and started building an "illegal" moped disguised as a bicycle. Great fun. Too many crashes and already feeling some longterm effects of said crashes at the ripe old age of 38. I am interested in slowing it down some.

An additional problem I have had with all 5 of the "ebikes" that I've had is that they sit for 3-4 months if your lucky,5-6 if you are very unlucky. I happen to live in a snowbelt in the Great Lakes region. We can have some long shitty winters. Lots of snow and a winter season that sometimes screws with you. Great for winter sport, not so good for ePeds. An aside, we have had 3 non winters by our standards, in the last decade. Unprecedented in my lifetime.
No climate change here. :pancake:

I cannot keep multiple bikes anymore. I need one ride. One ride that ends all rides.
The King of an ebike. No, the Pope of an ebike. No, the King of Popes of an ebike.
Brownie points if you get that reference. Or until I have a garage again and can keep multiple bikes and the disease can then propagate. At this point I am perfectly happy with our Canadian/Ontario legal 32kph and all but one of the rules. What I cannot live with is the 500w limit. So far 500w has not provided me the torque I desire. I am going to have to be a law breaker.Unless someone can come up with a system of 500watts that can produce around 80-100ft/lbs of torque in a 29.5" wheel.Big torque in a big wheel is going to need a lot more power. With this build I'd like to avoid a 15-25lbs DD hub. I have a Clyte Hs3540 I may be able to use, with some dropout mods, but I want to try as light a wheelset as possible with this build. I thought for the past year that I wanted dual geared motors, likely Macs, that would still be 20lbs of motor but much better weight distribution and the benefit of 2wd, potential. With all the mid direct drive builds recently using BHT, Revolt motors , of course Matts DaVinci drive as well as many others. I can see the benefit of a mid direct drive system. Heck I should have known that. My first ebike, a Schwinn iZip used a left hand drive Currie kit. I liked it, but wanted more torque, better placement of the motor, brushless and of course to lose the lead. Looks like some sort of mid drive will be the route to go for me.

So being addicted to the sphere, needing one bike for all seasons, and willing to mostly stay within the law. I have decided to build an electric FatBike. I cannot afford a Surly bike. An Ice cream Ops is my dream bike. They run $2500'ish on average. There are a few bikes in the.$1000-1500 range, even they are out of my current budget.
Unless you are Canadian, you may not realize that we get screwed on the price of many retail products in comparison to the States. Cars, clothes, food, magazines etc. One of the worst offenders is bikes. Given an equal dollar we pay more. We don't have access to many U.S. based bike shops bikes. They often will not ship here. Parts don't seem to be a problem but shipping complete bikes here is. Seems like there is some sort of trade issue. Speculation on that.
That aside the Loonie has taken a dump versus the greenback. Every deal you Yanks find is now 25% more expensive for us, plus shipping, and potential customs. We just recently got the Mongoose series of Fatbikes sold in U.S. Wallys. Only sold through Canadian Tire. Wally doesn't carry nor ship Mongoose fatties from US to Canada. Being that it is a different retail chain they got rebranded versions. To bad really, I wanted a Dolomite as that is one of my nicknames. These while being BSO are all I could afford in this economic climate. I'll just have to upgrade as I go. Tires and tubes first. One plus for these bikes is the ease with which I can weld brackets to hold say a motor mount or battery compartments to the steel frame.

Rambling over. Pic start.

image.jpg

image.jpg

$30 bucks for disc brakes and 7 speed. No brainer. Plus in my colours, black with red highlights.
I went with the Biggity DLX.
This will be a slow build process, I likely will ride pedal only until spring to see what I can do. I have been pedal biking a lot this spring/summer and would like to keep the weight loss and cardio improvements going. So if you are looking for lots of updates and excitement, look away for now. This will give me the time to see some of the recent mid direct builds develope. A Revolt pro with its low kv and weight and at a reasonable price is the way I am leaning currently, but who knows by the spring what will be available and best sorted out.

As with most box store bikes everything needed attn and adjusting.
I bought a floor model, the sales rep didn't seem to want to track down the one other in stock that was boxed.
If you buy boxed you also don't get the 30 day parts warranty. 30 day warranty? They must really believe in their bikes.
Whom ever assembled this must have been a stoned monkey. For minimum wage what do you expect, a qualified tech?
Brake handles to the bars, no appreciable stopping power. Dérailleur only shifts 5 of 7 gears. One tire at 8 psi the other jacked to the tire max 30psi. How do you sell a person a new bike in such ill repair? Oh ya, price.
I am handy enough that with a couple of YouTube vids I have the dérailleur shifting a champ. The brakes while engaging a locked stationary wheel at half pull, feel spongey. On the street they feel less effective compared to some other cheap mechanical brakes. Hell I liked the feel of my 90mm Sturmey drum better than these. After a complete removal and setup I still have a feeling like the cables are stretching. Can that be a symptom of cheap brake wire? Would Jagwire make a considerable difference? Or do I need more work adjusting?
Everything is tightened and adjusted enough for a ride, then I'll readjust re tighten and see where it's at.
Avid BB7's might be the second upgrade.

I tore the bike apart to get all the pertinent measurements. Didn't get good pics one handed with phone so will have to update on the next tare down.
Here are the key measured stats.
17" steel frame. Most hate one size fits all. At 5'8" with a stumpy 30" inseam, I am that one size. I can even run a LT Thudbuster on this bike. Perfect.
100mm rims. 36h. Alloy. No magnet stick. Can't wait to get the rubber off the rim and get some weights.
26x4" tires spread out to 4.5". Looks like room for more tire, especially in the rear. No manufactures name on tire. That's new to me. Makes you question the quality if they won't even put a name on it.
100mm BB.
135mm fork spacing.
190mm rear dropout.

I'm assuming the same as the Mongoose Dolomite. Anyone measured their Dolomite personally?
Will keep updated as development proceeds.

Well done dude. I am just finishing up my fat bike build for the winter. (I live in Manitoba so I feel your pain)

Scored a Boris x5 on bike island for $350 with no rear tire or rim before the dollar tanked.

I went with a mxus 3000w in the rear cause I can't stand the mac gear noise. Heavy but way too powerful :). Running 18s (3 x 6s 16ah hk lipo) with a 80a foc controller now but have a 200a foc controller to swap in.

Just scored a 203mm front hydraulic brake in the sale section. Made such a big difference.

Using 2 luna cycle led lights on the front for soft even lighting.

Still can't find a good kickstand though. And deciding on studded winter tires.

Looking forward seeing your build progress

Grizzl-E said:
Well done dude. I am just finishing up my fat bike build for the winter. (I live in Manitoba so I feel your pain)

Scored a Boris x5 on bike island for $350 with no rear tire or rim before the dollar tanked.

I went with a mxus 3000w in the rear cause I can't stand the mac gear noise. Heavy but way too powerful :). Running 18s (3 x 6s 16ah hk lipo) with a 80a foc controller now but have a 200a foc controller to swap in.

Just scored a 203mm front hydraulic brake in the sale section. Made such a big difference.

Using 2 luna cycle led lights on the front for soft even lighting.

Still can't find a good kickstand though. And deciding on studded winter tires.

Looking forward seeing your build progress

Don't get too excited yet. I'm not sure what to do with this bike.
This bike is tough to make electric desicions on. The bike needs or could use quite a few component upgrades, to be passable. So depending on which style of electric motivation I choose will also dictate which cycling components will still be needed.I'll expand this thought in one of my reserved posts.

I have a few questions I hope you don't mind me asking?
How did the bike importation go? Any customs, taxes, duty? Maybe not, as you technically bought an incomplete bike that could be considered parts. From my understanding and a lil investigating, the duty on complete bicycles varies based on origin of manufacturer, and of parts. The % paid is reported to vary wildly. How much to ship? How'd your experience go?

What's the weight on that Mxus motor wheel, tire on?
Where'd you aquire it? Did it come laced? Fatbike specific axle? kV?
What tires and psi do you run? I fear such a heavy hub negating the off-road/soft surface benefits of a Fatbike.
With as much power as you have I'd also fear spinning tires and tubes on the wheel at Fatbike low psi. Seems like that type of setup needs a higher psi tire. What are your impressions?

Did you have a bad experience with the Mac? From the videos I've heard they don't seem to make much more than tire road noise at speed.

Do you have a build thread going? Share some pics of your beast. :wink:

Thanks.

500w limit,fixed with sticker :) and manual 100 year old toaster knob with clamp throttle limiter. .Im feelin you on the fat tire bike.for some reason i am pulled to them by the fat tires,havent pulled the trigger or even rode one yet...... but get closer every year.good luck with your new build and yes this place can be a curse. but what fun if you can accept it and not going berserk 8) .

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=72088#p1088272

Build thread just started.

I import stuff all the time. Big stuff I get shipped to the border and drive the 1.5 hours to the border to pick up a batch.

Call border services and tell them what your importing and they will tell you the duty rate. Bike stuff is usually no duty if it's from the U.S. But it depends on whom you get. Max 6% for that type of thing anyway. You have to pay taxes though.

I haven't spun any tires yet but they sure wrinkle up at really low psi when I wheelie it. I run 5psi front and 8psi rear. It's great off-road but I need fenders cause the tires give me a mud shower.

I built a 2wd with a rear mac 10t for my dad and the gear whine is pretty loud during acceleration. I hear a sine controller helps but I have a 160hp motorcycle when I want to hear a motor :)

Grizzl-E said:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=72088#p1088272

Build thread just started.

I import stuff all the time. Big stuff I get shipped to the border and drive the 1.5 hours to the border to pick up a batch.

Call border services and tell them what your importing and they will tell you the duty rate. Bike stuff is usually no duty if it's from the U.S. But it depends on whom you get. Max 6% for that type of thing anyway. You have to pay taxes though.

I haven't spun any tires yet but they sure wrinkle up at really low psi when I wheelie it. I run 5psi front and 8psi rear. It's great off-road but I need fenders cause the tires give me a mud shower.

I built a 2wd with a rear mac 10t for my dad and the gear whine is pretty loud during acceleration. I hear a sine controller helps but I have a 160hp motorcycle when I want to hear a motor :)

Thanks for the updates. I'll check out your build.im sure I'll have more build questions for ya. :wink:

Can you tell me a little more about the importation process. I'm only 2-2&1/2 hours from Niagra Falls. So could do something similar.
Where in the States do you ship to, to pick up from? Friend or family? PO Box? Something else? This is a big bonus because you can often find free shipping within continental U.S.
Why contact Border Service ahead of time? Would I not treat it like any other shopping trip and claim purchases at crossing?
6% sucks but not as bad as I've heard. Maybe the law has changed, but one guy I found quoted between 4&30% :shock: . The low end being a bike assembled in the U.S. A bike imported to the U.S. from Taiwan/China complete, say a new Trek or Giant then sold here, would be subject to those high duty percentages. I assume to save the domestic bike shops new bike sales. As without, you could buy the same bike in the U.S. and ship for much cheaper. That would eliminate the dealer networks here. Especially when we had our petrodollar equal. Taxes, well I can't avoid those either way.
Any other insights or stories? All the parts I've ordered from the states have crossed the border duty/customs free. 4 purchases. Even my Em3ev battery from China came duty free? So f'd if I understand Canada Customs!

Any other Canucks with experience importing from the U.S. a complete bike want to chime in please do.

beast775 said:
500w limit,fixed with sticker :) and manual 100 year old toaster knob with clamp throttle limiter. .Im feelin you on the fat tire bike.for some reason i am pulled to them by the fat tires,havent pulled the trigger or even rode one yet...... but get closer every year.good luck with your new build and yes this place can be a curse. but what fun if you can accept it and not going berserk 8) .

You live in a great place for a Fatbike. Sand and surf at your door step. Wet muddy rainforest all around. Snow a ferry ride away. You have year round Fattie glory. Pull the trigger. :mrgreen:

I use a parcel drop in the U.S. They are common in border towns and cities. For a $5-10 fee they will hold parcels for you. Google "mikes parcel pickup" for an example.

So importing works like this. Technically a package shipped from the U.S. To here has paperwork with a description of what is contained therein. Border services looks up that description in a book of categories which says what the duty is, if any. That's why it's good to call.

What actually happens when you cross it is you show a receipt for even a whole bike, they may ask you where it's made. You truthfully reply that you have no way to know, you bought it from a U.S. Distributer or retailer. Despite the fact that everyone knows 99% of bikes are built in China, all a made in America product needs is 5% value added in the U.S.

So since most companies in every sector glance at a Chinese made box of whatever, and then say they have added a sufficient amount of value by either quality control checking it or turning one screw. The whole border services agency knows they can never say for most things that they are a complete product from outside the states if that's where you bought it. They just ask if you know where it's made and you say you have no way of knowing and they charge you no duty.

Except on things like auto tires that are unchanged items. And then you just have to ask tire rack etc for the nafta (national free trade agreement) certificate. Ironic since tires often are made here but no one knows to ask for a nafta certificate and gets charger 6% cause they can't prove its not Asian made.

Clear as mud? Oh yea and I never spend a night when I pickup stuff so I don't get any duty free allowance. That starts after 24hrs away.

Stuff that should get duty such as an em3ev battery often gets by without it cause:
-border services was busy and didn't bother with that container
-your package was shipped not from commercial company em3ev, but rather your old friend Chung lee Wong Zee (look at your packing slip for a laugh) and fell into a less chance of making money zone and...see above reason
-despite containing batteries and bike parts (not duty free) was marked "ebike charger and accessories" or something else duty free. The logistic companies that actually ship most items from China to North America are very clever.

So if your not sick of reading yet, I both import a crapload of stuff personally, for my own business, and for my day job (work for a manufacturers rep). So any questions about how it actually works let me know. And I alway chat up the guards when I go through. They are often as confused as you are.

Oh and never lie. Ever. Border services knows surprisingly little about you except things like if the last guy that asked you questions had a bad feeling and opened your trunk to check for weed. If they catch you lying about ANYTHING, enjoy a lifetime of extra scrutiny.

Edit: I actually have brought bikes new in sealed boxes marked made in Taiwan across and lol no duty for above reasons.

This concludes my longest post ever. Enjoy.

Cheers. Thanks for your info, experience and time.
The mud is now dirty water.

Any chance you have seen, can get access to, or have a link to what CBSA/Customs use for reference for duty rate?
That must be public record. Couldn't find a clear link though.
Ever have a problem with a drop shipper?
Does CBSA question you about multiple BOL's from different shippers to the one drop shipper? (receiver really).
Guess it's all legal as it's working for you. I'll definitely pm ya if I give up on the Biggity and upgrade to one of the BikesDirect bikes.
It's really too bad about the Loonie though, doesn't seem to be at the bottom yet either.

I love&watch Border Security, it's one of my programs. Never lie to CBSA. They are fair till you get caught lying.
Then it's a lifetime of harassment.

Oh and I guess the elephant in the room. Hence the dirty water.
Why couldn't Bikes Island ship the Boris straight to you? Why this extra inconvenience?

Thanks again for sharing.

I get things shipped to the border using free shipping when I am purchasing numerous items. Also many good deals are sold by companies that have such thin margins they won't bother doing the paperwork to ship across the border. It's all to save a couple hundred bucks when that couple hundred is my after tax dollars.

You can request the list but it's about 400 pages last time I checked. That's why I just call and ask now. They are actually very helpful. And they have a better idea what something will get classed as.

Yes we could have done without the dollar tanking. We sell a couple of million dollars of mostly US made equipment every year and that much of a swing takes quite a bite out of our bottom line.

I actually don't know if bikes direct will ship to canada. I haven't tried, but bikes direct won't let me use a canadian PayPal account. Interestingly bike island will accept it though.

A bill of lading is a certificate of ownership for an item so you won't have multiple ones for a single item even if it goes through multiple carriers. And drop shipping is irrelevant since I've never seen something drop shipped ie fulfilled from a manufacturer directly, get shipped through the states into canada. Generally drop shipped goods are shipped direct to canada if they are made outside North America. Not sure if that answered your question.

Thanks again for the time and insight.

I think I'm mixing up terms. BOL for receipt. Drop shipper for the receiving service.

Mostly I am curious if you've had any problems with the receiving service keeping track of your goods received,from multiple sources until you pick it up? Sending it to a UPS Store sounds safe, Mikes storage sounds a little less so. Ever any problems? Used the same service all along? I'll have to start hunting for local services and check prices and legitimacy.

If I have multiple receipts from multiple retail outlets shipped to this one location, the receiving service.
Does customs care that you are buying things from all over the states sending it to one U.S. location,drop service, then driving it back home? Duh obviously not! You are doing it. Just seems like you are using a loophole.But "seems" and reality are often different.

Now let's get that Loonie to bounce back.
Oh and I need a passport! Has it really been that long since I've been south?
Yup October 2001. Border changed shortly after that. Thanks Bush.
As a 16 year old, 92', we would make drunken runs across the border for booze and smokes. Much cheaper than our heavily taxed sins. Border services on neither side looked twice. My how things have changed in such a short lifetime. Then the border was basically open, no internet, very few cell phones or pagers. Remember the kool guy with a pager or a car phone? :)

Things seemed safer and more hopeful, ah the simpler days, before the war.

Lol yes a passport would be a good idea. Though you can get a certified licence or whatever they call that. But it's not much less work than the passport.

Ah yes receipts and the receiver. Nope they don't care one bit. They are getting their tax and duty. So many people do it these days that they are used to it. In fact I go often enough that they never even check me now. I just am carful to have all my receipts printed out. That's a requirement.

I have tried several pickup places and all have been good. I initially tried small items but they are all pretty legit. Mikes is just my favourite. Of course your mileage may vary.

I have heard many similar tales from my older cousins etc. sounds like a good time. Can't have any wholesome fun anymore. I grew up in the tail end of that world. I'm ten years younger. It feels very strange seeing it all change. No personal computers or cell phones to everything being about social media and my peers can't figure out anything without a mobile internet connection. Lol and don't get me started on texting. Ironically I started working very young and had the first cell phone of any youth I new. Now I hate the darn things. No one answers theirs anymore and I don't have time to stop working and text. It's very annoying. Probably why I've stayed off of forums until this one.

As I hypocritically type this out on my iPhone :)

And no worries for the info. My privilege to be able to give back a little to this forum.

Btw sorry for hijacking your build thread.

Still shopping price and equipment comparisons of every Fatbike I can find, and their suitability to electrification.
While doing so I came across this Sonders. Pinkbike'rs must love seeing that on their pages. You should see the comment left for people selling BSO's on that site, not kind. :wink:
Not something I want or would touch, but at least they made it to Canada. $1000 cdn is a deal for those interested in this bike. IIrc they got upto $800 US with shipping. With our tanked dollar this would be much cheaper.
Anyways finding a quality Fatbike in Ontario under a thousand is very difficult, even used. That's before $1-$2000 of electric bits are added.
Modified Biggity it still is.

The info gathering continues....

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/gravity/fat-bikes/fatbikes-monster-comp.htm
This would likely touch 1k by the time your get it here. But still an amazing deal with a bluto fork.
Edit: RST Renegade Air Forks

Ya I was eyeballing those, especially the Gravity Bullseye Monster Pro, but they are not perfect either. The v8 rubber needs to go from what I've read. (I think your feeling that :wink: )To be honest I've slowed way down, so the need for suspension has lessened. I also like the reduced maintenance that a full rigid offers. At my speed 32kph max and usually less I think the fat tires will offer the little suspension I need. As to getting a better platform for a build, I keep my eyes peeled for local ads and on Pinkbike. It just seems there is little depreciation on what I really want a Surly Pug or Moonlander. It seems as more people jump on the Fatbike wagon the prices for used almost match new. In some cases exceeding new price when someone has their ride customized to them.
That leads me to one other thought.
Many mock upgrading the Biggity/Dolomite, but I see Pinkbike littered with high end DH bikes that immediately have parts removed and even higher end stuff added. Nobody mocks a guy dropping an extra grand on a multi thousand dollar bike, or the guy that buys a Harley and spends almost as much accessorizing it to make it his own, but if I upgrade tires/tubes and brakes on the Biggity making it a much better ride and losing 7+ pounds, I'm a fool. To each there own I suppose.
I must be crazy, but I'm more into the Biggity than previously. I'm considering keeping the stock100mm wheelset with new tires and tubes for snow and sand, and building a separate 65 or 80mm QR wheelset for street and trail. If you shop carefully and or used, this can be done relatively cheaply. Then I'll have something I built to suit me, personalized. I just will have a heavier frame. If this were a pedal only bike I may feel different, but with 750w that extra weight is less of an issue.
It's the tires that are a killer. Surly asks some outrageous prices for their skins.
That said if the Loonie bounces back anytime soon I may have to change the plan.

The more I read about BBS02 Fatbikes the more I lean that way. Just too easy to install compared to setting up a home scratch mid drive. I hope Bafang releases that rumoured 100mm version soon.
Ah the build, so many choices.

FYI I saw some vee snowshoe xl (4.8) tires today in a local shop and they are insane!!! They honestly must have 150% of the volume of a 4 inch tire. I am ordering one to see if it fits on my 170mm symmetrical rear and if so the front will get one as well. Less than the other studdable options cost wise too.

Just bought a biggity of kijji for $250.00 only ridden a few times going to be adding a halo motors 1500w 48v to it. Right now I am riding a mountain bike with a golden motor rear hub motor 1000w 48v lots of fun this is my second build first was a dead shwinn I updated. Now it is time for my fat bike.

Started the build today first thing I noticed was the rear wheel had lots of play. The shaft is half the size of the new one but fit in perfectly. The dereller gaurd mount hole had to be inlarged to go over the other shaft. Took off the disc brake the bolts are very cheap getting new ones tomorrow. Will need to make a spacer for the cailper as the disc is much farther in.
That's it for today

The bike build

Attachments

• IMG_20151013_203935.jpg
    IMG_20151013_203935.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 4,258
  • IMG_20151013_204358.jpg
    IMG_20151013_204358.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 4,256
  • IMG_20151013_220944.jpg
    IMG_20151013_220944.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 4,256
  • IMG_20151015_230756.jpg
    IMG_20151015_230756.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 4,257
  • IMG_20160102_143528.jpg
    IMG_20160102_143528.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 4,258
Ironhead said:
The bike build

Nice.
So that motor it is not fatbike specific? This Biggity with 190mm drops requires a long axle or some major work to get a regular 135mm motor to work. I tried getting my spare Crystalye H3540 to fit, no easy way that is gonna work.
Never heard of Halo motors, have a link to your kit?
Turns out I'm a bit of a puss when it comes to pedalling snow. I need some electric assist.
Biggity is hibernating at the cottage for now. Wasaga beach. Pedalling that was much easier, though it may have been the warm weather and pretty ladies that kept me motivated. :wink:

How have the last few weeks of riding worked out for you? Impressions?
Did you upgrade tires, tubes and brakes?

Thanks for sharing.

The website is hallomotor-zy.kuancart.com click on kits then fatbike first kit is the one I purchased.
The tires are the same the only thing I changed was the brakes to mechanical hydraulic.
Might change the tires in the spring they do a good enough job for now.
It has been a blast to ride every where I go I get great comments about it.
Building a new battery for it 48v 18 to 20 amp for the spring waiting on a bms.

Back