40ah esr750 hoverboard build

melodious said:
Wow, that is a HUGE amount of watt/hours for a goped. I believe the highest configuration for a stock goped is 28ah.

So now that your battery setup is legit, are you going to keep the same motor and gearing or are you going to upgrade those as well? 40ah and only being 20mph max (that's a guess) sounds a bit...tame. :mrgreen:

Well it goes 23mph with the current motor which is ok and just over the legal 20mph limit, my biggest concern is cops. I have lived in the same city since I was young and scooters being legal to illegal has been off and on, seems someone gets one of the gas scooters then others get them and before you know it they are banned. Technically the electric scooters will never be illegal like gas but I would like to keep the cops from any kind of interest in pulling me over. Have not seen any scooters lately and last I checked last year they are legal, they call them "foot scooters". But yes my next build will be 9 series 50ah with a brushless motor and 35-40mph. And just keep an eye out for cops :twisted:

silviasol said:
Finished. Going to take a test run then doing one more upgrade with just one pcm/bms.
IMG_0620.jpg

That looks very nice.

We have to run huge W/h set ups because the stock motors are brushed and quite inefficient

z50king said:
silviasol said:
Finished. Going to take a test run then doing one more upgrade with just one pcm/bms.
IMG_0620.jpg

That looks very nice.

We have to run huge W/h set ups because the stock motors are brushed and quite inefficient

Thanks! I don't know about the brushed being inefficient though. I think with the right gearing brushed gets just about the same as brushless. I have read that it is only a 10% difference? I am not complaining though, I took a ride that would take me an hour biking and I get there in 20 minutes against the wind. Then back in anther 20 with 40lbs of groceries in my back pack and was at 3.8v resting each cell. Still haven't taken a ride to drain them completely yet but I assume atleast 2:30 to 3 hours of turbo riding time.

the stator turns on brass bushings. There aren't any bearings in the motor. They are quite ineffecient

Yes, brusheless is much more efficient. Based on my calculations @ 25%-30%... (just compare the weight/size of the 6374 turnigy engine and the stock goped engine)

With my pack 37.5 amp I can get @ 35-38 miles with 25 miles/h. (including wind, elevation e.t.c with the belt set up.
BTW my castle mamba XL2 died few days ago. Ordered the Lyen controller and waiting for it to get delivered.

Silenthunter said:
Yes, brusheless is much more efficient. Based on my calculations @ 25%-30%... (just compare the weight/size of the 6374 turnigy engine and the stock goped engine)

With my pack 37.5 amp I can get @ 35-38 miles with 25 miles/h. (including wind, elevation e.t.c with the belt set up.
BTW my castle mamba XL2 died few days ago. Ordered the Lyen controller and waiting for it to get delivered.

Hmm. May need to get a brushless setup sooner then I planned later this summer. Dead controllers was what I was worried about though since I heard alot of other people having issue's back when goped nation wasn't full of spam.

I like to mess around with dead electronics. For my work I repair dead electronic stuff. Interested in selling it to me?

I am planing in taking it apart and re-solder bad components. The Problem is that nothing looks burned or bad.

You probably won't see anything if nothing smelt burnt. Not sure what it looks like inside but take a look at any multi pin components, if there are any. Look for slight burns on the top of the chip. That would be a toasted chip and if you can't find the part number on the chip consider it a paper weight. What I do is infrared/hot air rework. This is for small contacts you can't get to with a soldering iron. Alot of the time vibration will cause the tiny pins to loose contact, or with the new lead free solder companies have to use there are cold solder joints on smaller contacts that fail overtime. Never done any work on stuff like this but 90% of computer boards I get without burnt components/water damage this is how I fix them.

Well I keep trying to fully drain a pack but never have time to ride for the 2-3 hours. I did a econo only run and got just over 20 miles with one of the 20ah packs so it is safe to say about 1 mile per 1.15ah turbo which is what other people say they get with lipo. A few days ago I did a 10 mile ride with 50lbs of groceries, about 230lbs with me, with turbo only and up 3 steep hills ended at 3.8v resting. Bottom line you probably will never run out of batteries for any ride just because I would never want to ride for so long!

So would you say that with the amp-hours you have now... shouldnt the next step be to make it go faster?

MrDude_1 said:
So would you say that with the amp-hours you have now... shouldnt the next step be to make it go faster?

10s sensored brushless will be completed in the next few weeks. I will post a new thread later this week when my motor arrives, I have all other parts here. I am thinking about 30-35 maybe 40mph.

Unfortunately the only option for more speed with the stock motor/controller is to upgrade to a torkinator but I don't want to spend the money. With these cells the only way to fit them in the pan is 20amp 10 series which will be a loss for range but I plan on doing 10s 18650 cells at 50amp next spring.

Back