5000w Norco dirt jumper

If it wasn't for the car license plates and the fact i know your a cockroach i would swear that was shot in a suburb in Perth, looks alot like Wembley or back streets in Subiaco here! Looks like a nice ride through the cycle path too...

KiM

John I chose this frame more for its strenth for general bashing around at high speed and over rough stuff rather than dirt jumping. Did you see I've already lost 6 spokes ? I reckon I'd lose alot more in a hurry if I go jumping it like a mad man. haha
That said I'll get some video shortly off road and taking a few little jumps.
The back tyre is through to the canvas now (must be uber soft compound, it went from the tread getting close to bald to canvas showing through in just 3 days) so while it's off I'll probably decommission it for a bit to drill the other cover plate holes, fit the temp probe, relace it into a new rim and hopefully do star delta relays while I'm in there.

Kim, yeah that stretch of bike path is nice. You can't see it from the vid but the bridge going over a big river. There's usually alot of pedestrians around so I go a bit slower but its nice to race through when there's none. I usually get some pretty good air going through those ramp / tunnels they have at the construction site. After a few weeks of doing it I noticed one day one of the builders had spray painted on the ground right before it "no sick air" :lol:

On the topic of pedestrians, a quick rant. Every morning there's a big intersection where I get stuck so I wait on the foot path for the lights to change (road is too narrow to ride along side slow moving traffic so I take the foot path for that stretch). As soon as the lights change I zoom across the intersection beating all the banked up traffic and continue on my way. But without fail every morning I get half a dozen people approach to cross too, and there's always 1 or 2 that insists on standing right in front of me. They practically stand in the gutter and risk getting clipped by cars so they can stand in front of me to walk off first when the lights change. The lights change and I'm then stuck crawling along behind them :roll: Even if it was a normal bike there's no way they could sprint across the road quicker than I can ride off, so GTFO of my way you d1ckheads! :x

Hyena said:
so GTFO of my way you d1ckheads! :x

buy one of them lil air horns, the ones they use for starting races, on a lil aerosol can, take that out get it as close to their ear as you can and blow it, they wont be standing in front of you again...if they are bigger than you best not try it unless you want to go UFC on the ass, again though, prolly not advisable in a dress :mrgreen:

KiM

It's a kilt, there be balls under that there skirt :p

Air horns you say...

Do you reckon I should pull THESE ONES off my XR6T ? :mrgreen:
I've thought about doing it just to make a video. That'll teach those soccer mums who walk 4 wide across the bike paths :twisted:

Cool, is that just a hand pump connected to a little air horn basically ?
I wouldn't mind one of those airzoundsbut they're a bit pricey at $50
(says me who paid $300 for the ones in my car :lol: )

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.23681 The pump it comes with is heavy and bulky but functional. I was thinking of employing an air pump that runs off main battery, but in the end an old pump was good enough. Get some of their bike light mounts as they'll be ideal for mounting the horn to the bars. I just used zip-ties. Side by side, Airzound is slightly softer and of a higher pitch.

It's because it scares the crap out of pedestrians :lol:

No real progress as yet, but things will be happening shortly.
I unlaced the hub from the GM wheel it came with last night. The tyre was bald so the wheel had to come off anyway and I figured rather than try to squeeze a fat tyre on the skinny little rim now is as good a time as any to get started on the upgrades. I met up with voicecoils on Saturday arvo, we had an ebike show and tell which was cool. Among other things I got a crystalyte rim and 12ga spokes from an old X5. I had a crack at lacing my GM hub but unfortunately the spokes are just a touch too short. The motor was actually held in the wheel but there was alot of thread showing on the spokes so not the best for my high torque application considering I'm already ripping spokes out. So that's annoying for the sake of 3mm but oh well, best to do it properly I suppose.

So I decided to open the hub back up and check on the windings after pumping > 4000w through them on a daily basis and the hub always smelling and being too hot to touch after a ride. They were a little darker than a brand new one but not too bad. Certainly not like the pic floating around of methods' toasted X5.

hubs.jpg

I ran into a snag trying to get the other side cover off as per this thread but hopefully I'll get that sorted shortly. Then I'll drill the opposide side cover so to give the air cooling a chance to work effectively.
I'll also wire in the temperature probe and get cracking on the internal star/delta switching :)
I might throw a few red LEDs in there for rice factor as well, to glow out through the cooling holes, although the windings themselves nay supply enough red glow :p

I just ordered these relays from ebay, they're dirt cheap for some reason so hopefully they're up to the task and not crap. I didn't realise there were low quality fakes floating around until I saw this thread a few days ago.

I was hoping to have the bike sorted to ride to the AC/DC gig tonight but it looks like I'll have to catch public transport now with all the other monkeys

Horns (and f'ing loud ones) only for cars, but we all need the bicycle bells for pedestrians and other cyclists. There's good reason they're the law in bike popular parts of Europe, the bells are simply more pleasant to hear.

Hyena said:
I met up with voicecoils on Saturday arvo, we had an ebike show and tell which was cool. Among other things I got a crystalyte rim and 12ga spokes from an old X5. I had a crack at lacing my GM hub but unfortunately the spokes are just a touch too short. The motor was actually held in the wheel but there was alot of thread showing on the spokes so not the best for my high torque application considering I'm already ripping spokes out. So that's annoying for the sake of 3mm but oh well, best to do it properly I suppose.

Thanks for letting me ride your rocking Norco, Hyena. What a nice frame, great torque plates and simple lipo mounting method. I liked the regen setup, it worked really well. The bike was a blast to ride :D

Shame those spokes are just a little too short, I can't use them so I'm glad you at least gave it a shot. 2 options: Look for a deeper profile rim or get new spokes. I've had good luck buying 14ga custom length DT Swiss spokes: http://puremtb.com.au/spokes/701-dt-swiss-champion-spokes.html or rotorburn.com/forums is a good place to look for 2nd hand MTB gear, rims etc...

Looking forward to meeting up in the future to ride some trails!

John in CR said:
Horns (and f'ing loud ones) only for cars,

Bikes need Horns loud enough so peeps in cars can hear them above the ,Screaming kids in the back, nagging passengers, cell phone conversation and the car sound system.

voicecoils said:
Thanks for letting me ride your rocking Norco, Hyena. What a nice frame, great torque plates and simple lipo mounting method. I liked the regen setup, it worked really well. The bike was a blast to ride :D
No problem mate, glad you enjoyed the ride. It'll be good when you get one of your projects ready to hit the trails. I'm sure a race will ensue :p

I'll probably stick with the Clyte rim for now as I prefer the flatter profile. They're actually about 10mm too long for the deep v rim the GM hub originally came laced into so if I do source another rim it'll have to be something inbetwee. Do you reckon the 14ga spokes would be up to the task though ? They're a decent price but I'd probably have to fiddle around with washers around the nipples and/or hub because they're both drilled for 12ga...
Kim have you got the details of the place where you get your 12ga spokes ?

Hyena said:
...Here's a little video of some of my commute home from work today.
No particularly epic moves - I'm not as mad as GCinDC!

Hyena (on my build page) said:
...You're mad dude! Has your wife seen these vids ? What does she think of you riding like that when you have kids to come home to ? I know mine would fire up!

Can't watch the vid from work, but gotta ask: Has your wife seen it and approved?

:lol:

No, no she hasn't... :mrgreen:

What prompted me to say that to you was comments from a few of my mates saying "You're a mentalist riding a push bike like that, has your wife seen this ?!" There's only a short segment of me passing a few cars, the rest is largely just cruising at highish speed. I should link them your vids, if they think mine is risky they'll shit when they see yours :lol:

The funny thing is when I've brought up the topic of buying a motor bike the answer is always "absolutely not!" Oh well, I guess I have to stick of pedalling along on my pushbike and pretending... :wink:

Hyena said:
Do you reckon the 14ga spokes would be up to the task though ? They're a decent price but I'd probably have to fiddle around with washers around the nipples and/or hub because they're both drilled for 12ga...

I do think good quality 14ga spokes are up to the task but it comes down to how well the wheel is built and then if it's kept in true and in tension properly.

Since you do have both rim and spoke holes drilled for 12ga I agree it's worth trying to source 12ga spokes for this build.

If theres enough room on the frock motor to drill the holes even larger Hyena i would be tempted to go even thicker, dunno if 10ga is a possibility unsure of their metric size? I would have thought though larger not smaller would of been the better way to go? Depends on the room you have to enlarge the holes i guess, if theres not enough meat after drilling not much point you will break the "hem"<--(see what i did there? hehe "hem"..classic :mrgreen:) Of the motor when trying to get the extra tension...

I took my rim to be professionally trued yesterdayHyena, i have no issues lacing them but with my ghetto wheel truing stand getting them perfectly trued is PITA...I should set aside some time to make a decent stand i guess, thankfully i dont need to build wheels often and the LBS looks after me...

KiM

AussieJester said:
i would be tempted to go even thicker, dunno if 10ga is a possibility unsure of their metric size? I would have thought though larger not smaller would of been the better way to go?

Don't worry, I'm not suggesting that a smaller spoke will be stronger then a larger one :D What I was trying to get at is that a well built wheel with good quality spokes and rim can handle a surprising amount of power, even with 14ga spokes.

I don't see any reason why Hyena can't get his wheel built with 10ga motorcycle spokes, if he can find a shop willing to give it a go.

The rim and hubmotor spoke hole flanges would certainly be the weak-points with a 10ga wheel build!

If you can get away with the larger holes in the hub i would lace it myself then true it, if not happy with how
well that went i would take it off to the bike shop to be 'tweaked' a lil more...Waiting for TAXI now
to go pick mine up actually, not game to take my bike up on my own with the 3 speed hub in the condition its in now :-(

KiM

AussieJester said:
if theres not enough meat after drilling not much point you will break the "hem"<--(see what i did there? hehe "hem"..classic :mrgreen:)
Yes yes, very clever toy motor man :lol:

I don't think I'd like to risk drilling the holes bigger for 10ga spokes. 12ga will suffice, maybe even 13ga, I just need to source some.
In the absence of anything that even looks like a truing stand I'll probably just lace the rim as best I can then take it off to a LBS and get them to true it. That's if I can find one that doesn't deadbolt their doors when they see me coming with a hub motor :roll:

I'm going to run disk brakes so I'll need it to be fairly true I guess...

Hyena said:
I'm going to run disk brakes so I'll need it to be fairly true I guess...

It's the opposite, with disk brakes you don't even need a rim and spokes and they'll still work fine. The rotor is fixed to the hub which is already aligned with the frame. The rim can wobble all over the shop and the disk brakes will still be fine.

Disk brakes will allow you to apply braking force at least as violent as acceleration. A well built wheel does help with that!

Hyena said:
That's if I can find one that doesn't deadbolt their doors when they see me coming with a hub motor :roll:

Ah crap, didn't think about that and the LBS hatred of e-bikes... Mines real cool thankfully, they were oober impressed with our bikes yesterday. Got my wheel then all nice and true just need the ENO now... :roll:

You have a few spare bikes there Hyena, whip the front wheel out of one tip him upside down and use the fron forks as your stand...i made a ghetto one for the 20x4.25in rims, welded a couple of old mtb fork legs on a bit of angle iron and clamped it too the workbench, it works reasonably well i'm just oober fussy and want mine perfect...

KiM

p.s the LBS just aren't comfortable with their own sexuality don't think anything of it frock motor girl :lol:

voicecoils said:
It's the opposite, with disk brakes you don't even need a rim and spokes and they'll still work fine.
*smacks forehead* right you are, I got that backwards in my head!

Kim yeah that's what I'll probably do. I have 2 old frames here that are destined for the clean up, hopefully one is wide enough (both are road type bikes)

And yeah, most of the guys at LBS's have sand in their vaginas when it comes to ebikes. :lol:

AussieJester said:
Very nice mate, the Avids are sweet brakes, i need to get my 7's mounted up ASAP
the cable pull disk brakes aren't cutting it...

I love my Avid 7's, when it's dry. Can't believe I lived w/o them, but oh lord, the holy shrieking when they're wet. LBS guy said it's true of the model. Wonder if you'll have the same experience. It does rain in Oz, doesn't it? :!:

So what's this about losing spokes? I keep skimming the thread backwards & forwards, can't find it. :roll:

Checked out the vid last night. Looks awesome! Same thing but backwards! And BRIGHT! Nice...

Re youtube, I'd check to see the resolution of the vid you uploaded. 320 x 240? what camera is that?

I love the torque arms too. I want to do mine like that...

What else was I going to say? Oh yeah, I love the comments, but with this thread full of 'whore' and now 'sand in vagina', I gotta wonder about the kind of traffic you're getting from google.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back