A different e-Zip Trailz

cool,what volts & ah batts are you running with the golden motor,also ive noticed with golden motors there for example 1000watt,500watt,200watt motors ect,
do they all performe differently with the same volts & ah batts,
the thing i like about hub motors is the stealthyness,i ride a 400watt 36v 14ah sla for 18 months now,and now one knows its motorised(neighbours).
anyways take care :)

bluthermal said:
Smay28,

my avg speed has gone from around 19mph estimated (single) to 21mph estimated (dual).

Yep, had to be you... at the rate you were traveling I would think your average speed would have jumped a little more.. Have you noticed a considerable boost or improvement in climbing? Say Los Alisos to Alicia Pkwy? My stock Ezip Trailz gets up that grade okay if I pace myself but I find myself wanting more juice or a Suzuki Burgman scooter.. LOL..

Smay28,

Really just a small boost in climbing. I don't think the motor is geared right for climbing. Going up the hill from Los Alisos to Alicia (which is likely the steepest hill that's long on my route, I'll slow to 12mph while peddling. But going down that hill I get to 30+ mph. That pretty much describes my overall avg speed. For some reason the doubling of the motor is less impressive than the expectation. However, it is definitely better than the single motor, and performs as well or better than bikes costing a lot more. If I were to switch back to a forced air cooled single motor, I might be singing a different tune (I know I can't put out 450 watts for very long).

I looked at the specs of the motor controller I'm currently using. It's rated at 36V up to 1000 watts. Might explain why I don't get the full power of both motors which in theory would put out around 900 watts at 24V. Since I'm running both motors at around 36V, in theory they could put out up to 1350 watts (50% more than 900). So the motor controller may not be using any of the excess 350 watts above 1000. A single motor would be able to use as much as 675 watts at 36V in theory. The second motor only adds about 325 watts (1000 - 675 = 325), instead of another 675 due to the motor controller's limitations. I have not measured any of this, it's just speculation, which seems to match what I feel like I'm getting.

ezip.jpg

This is what I did with the EZip trails. Its a very strong bike and holds well with all those batteries Golden hub and accessories attached.

Best bike I've ever modded.

It's great to see this thread that I started about 18 months ago is still active.

Now I'm regretfully thinking about putting my modded eZip up for adoption. :shock:

It has stood in my garage without use for months at a time. Occasiionally I take it out for weekend commutes in inner-city Melbourne but the lack of dedicated bike paths and traffic hazzards have put me off cycling - I'm not one of those confident/kamikazi riders you see in busy cities. So as my dream of cycling everywhere has faded away, so to has my passion for the ezip.

This is a summary of the mods I have made:

Custom battery
36V 10A LiFePO4 Ping battery fitted inside original Currie battery box
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=53866#p53866

Ride report
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=53960#p53960

Motor gearbox luberication-mod
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=61958#p61958

:?: What do people suggest I do to find my ebike a new home?

a) Do I sell it on ebay to some random person with the risk that they ride it too hard and the motor will burn out?
b) Put the word out on the for sale thread of these forums
c) sell the battery and the bike separately

I would prefer someone who understood all the risks to buy it off me. Someone who knows how to put in a new controller and hub motor if the MY1018 dies.

Blacklisted wrote:

but the lack of dedicated bike paths and traffic hazzards have put me off cycling

Sorry to hear about your (and our) loss.

I have plenty of on road and a few not on road bike paths around Orange County California. Even so, there are many drivers that think a bike doesn't belong there. I get occasional, but consistent encounters that really turn me off.

Sometimes they don't see me and they pull out in front of me when I'm going down a hill at 30+ mph. They get irritated when you pull into their lane at a signal, so the right turn lane traffic can freely make the right turn on a red light. Or they get angry when you stay in the bike lane area and block their right turn at the signal. Basically a no win situation. I shook my fist at a guy who recently raced up from behind me, and cut me off way too close (which happens too often also, he thought it was perfectly OK because he had his signal on) to make his right turn, rather than continuing on his hurried way, he preferred to block all the traffic behind him and verbally taunt me while I waited for the light to turn green, and continue straight on my way.

So I could see getting discouraged. I actually need to commute by bike to help save money due to my gross under employment situation, so that's how I justify still using the bike.

Try the forums first, if no takers, go from there.

Hello,

I know this is an old thread but I wanted ot thank you all for the great work. I have gotten one of these bikes recently and it has been great. HOwever the controller and throttle seemed to have broken and I have new ones on the way from Currie ( warrenty without a problem).

I wanted to thank BLacklist in particular for the work on the case. That is probably at the top of my list along with waterproofing the componants since I feel that is what blew the controller and throttle.

I am curious though about using the ezip scooters for parts for later upgrades. They are selling the scooters with up to 1000watt motors for 199$ and it is very tempting to buy one and use the parts and batteries.

So I have a couple questions.

Can I use the controller and throttle from an ezip?

Can I replace the 450 motor with the Ezip Scooter motor (500 to 1000w) somehow fitting it with the gearing?

Considering that buying one of the scooters gets me a controller, throtle, motor, and batteries it seems like a good idea especially since my bike is exposed to the weather and is likely to need replacement parts. I think that this should work except that swapping the motor onto the Trailz gearing leaves me wondering how to go from the spokes to the toothed gears.

Thanks again, great stuff here

Thereyago,

I don't think you can practically use the scooter motors along with the bike gear reduction system. They just won't physically match up. You would have to come up with a whole new gearing system and gear ratio.

If the voltages and wattages are close enough, I don't see why you couldn't use the scooter motor controller or throttle, the throttle is probably thumb and not twist grip. You may loose some features with the controllers.

If the batteries are the same size dimensionally to fit in the bike battery box, then they will work too.

Back