A recumbent build

Brakes...important when hauling a trailer, but you can build brakes into a trailer, too, and there are even ways to make them auto activate based on hitch tension/pressure (some discussion on those in one of my trailer threads, I think). If the trailer has brakes of it's own, it's less important that the hauling bike/trike has stopping power for both of them.

Another problem with a delta trike pulling a trailer is that (again depending on hte hitch and load) in a sharp enough turn or avoidance maneuver, the trailer can push the trike and tip it enough to flip them both over. :(
I was asking someone a couple months ago about this very subject , regarding cars however it should be the same with a trike.
He said to have brakes on the trailer and have them activated when going around a corner so that the trailer does not push you.

I've already got an upright bike I've been using and it does work well (and has disc brakes :p) I'm looking for a recumbent for comfort reasons, I've tried a lot of different styles of upright bike and I just find they always leave me sore. Whereas the few times I've gotten to ride recumbents they've been like couches :D

What would be the main thing that would shy you away from a three wheeler?
The reason I don't yet have a 3 wheeler is that a Tilting Delta Bicycle is not yet available . I talked many years ago with a A and P
mechanic who was building a trike using parts from a off road quad , he said the main problem with reverse trikes is that they need
to have allot of down force on the single rear wheel . That eats up allot of energy . Delta's a better , however they need to have a
proper C of G( center of gravity ) . it is very important to have the the right C of G so that they don't tip over. however even with that they still corner slow. The solution is to make a tilting trike . Look at the old Carver Motorcycle , and new Carver Scooter , and old Honda Gyro so see what I am talking about.
Now we just need people to design some , and even after designing to sell the plans, and even sell kits for a Tilting Delta Trike

The solution is to make a tilting trike
For what purpose? Unless you wish to travel in excess of ebikes legally restricted speed limit or ride in competitive events, I see little need or advantage. It complicates the build, bloats the cost, and adds unnecessary weight. If you are intent on cost & complexity... spend it on suspension instead.

I too have had a long standing interest in just such a (non-tilting) vehicle - something like this:

1714388419163.png

For the Purpose of some things that other trikes don't offer.

1) The fun of tilting , I have owned Sport Motorcycles in the past , Leaning into Corners is allot of Fun

2) A two wheel Recumbent will not have the space for me to put on two flexible Solar Panels
A Copy of the Carver allows 2 panels , one above the tilting pod, and another across the flat back section

3) I too had my eye on that Red Italian Delta Trike, However besides them going out of business, it does Not offer
the Total Wind and Rain Protection that a Carver Design does , but even more than that it does not lean .

4) Delta Trikes can have the ability to have larger space in the back for more batteries and cargo
and they can be better for towing a trailer than a 2 wheel and a tadpole trike .

I talked many years ago with a A and P mechanic who was building a trike using parts from a off road quad , he said the main problem with reverse trikes is that they need
to have allot of down force on the single rear wheel . That eats up allot of energy .

Recumbent tadpole trikes usually have the opposite weight distribution issue, so it's not clear what homeboy was talking about.

Also, rolling resistance distributed on three identical wheels and tires will be the same no matter how you divide the weight among them. So you can let go of that idea.

even though you say the rolling resistance would be the same in both types of recumbent his point was
that with a tadpole trike it is very easy for the rear to slide out sideways , so the designers design them with allot of
weight on the back , so with more weight and or down force on one of the wheels then it has More rolling resistance ?
Anyway for pulling a trailer the Delta design is better ,
He also mentioned to make a Delta Trike really long as well as having
the correct C of G .
He was making a Tadpole design , but it was not for utility and or puling a trailer
for me the Delta Design is better . And allows more room for Solar

Last edited:
My Sun EZ-Rider CX. Dual 52V drive systems. Bafang BBSHD mid drive for hills and a Bafang 500W rear hub for cruising.
Steelrazor, (y)
I was thinking about doing the same with my newish simi recumbent I got it just before our long and wetter than usual winter here in Ca. , for me it will be the Befang mid-drive for going up the mountains , and a DD rear hub for the flat areas and for using regen when going down mountains . And for having the Befang mid-drive last longer.

Now if I could only find a lightweight DD rear Hub motor . Any available or being made in the last couple of years ?

Last edited:
even though you say the rolling resistance would be the same in both types of recumbent his point was
that with a tadpole trike it is very easy for the rear to slide out sideways , so the designers design them with allot of
weight on the back , so with more weight and or down force on one of the wheels then it has More rolling resistance ?

No, adding weight to a wheel does proportionally add rolling resistance, but when that weight is removed from the other wheels their rolling resistance is reduced by the same amount (if the wheels are all the same).

No, adding weight to a wheel does proportionally add rolling resistance, but when that weight is removed from the other wheels their rolling resistance is reduced by the same amount (if the wheels are all the same).
Interesting , so then a tadpole trike design could have less weight on the front wheels which would not be so good for traction and or handling , I wonder if that is why so many of them have the riders weight so far forward and legs and feet often in front of the front wheels .
His main point that I remember and that was over 15 years ago to remember all this , was that a tadpole/reverse
trike design has and/or could have the ability to slide sideways easily . Not good when towing a trailer .

I do notice when looking at motorcycle reverse trikes that the rear tire is often much wider than the front two
tires . A wider tire has a larger contact patch so it does have more rolling resistance .

Now because of the higher speeds of a motorcycle the ability for the rear end to slide out would be
greater than on a slow speed reverse recumbent bike that could be the reason reverse motorcycle trikes
have such large rear wheels and tires .

Last edited:
Back