Advice needed: 20" Bike

APPELBOOM

10 µW
Hello,

I'm searching for a bike which has 20" wheels, disc brakes (front and rear) and it should be small and leightweight. The perfect bike would be an BMX bike with disc brakes... however, I didn't see a BMX bike with disc brakes yet for some reason :?: I saw trials bikes... these have disc brakes, but don't have a seat :lol:

So... could anyone help me choosing the correct bike? I don't want to go over >€300 though (for a used one).

The bike will be converted to electric with a non-hub motor and the main feature of the bike should be lightweight.

You have stacked a number of conflicting requirements.

20" bikes are for children, folding, or stunt riding. All three of these missions usually imply a heavy bike, and none of them benefit from disc brakes.

Lightweight bikes are for high performance. 20" wheels with their high rolling resistance and disc brakes with their warpage and pad rub both work against performance.

Consider also that small wheels magnify the already unsubtle, oversensitive on/off grabby quality of many disc brakes. If you have some explicable reason you don't want to use rim brakes, think about using drum brakes like Sturmey Archer 90mm drum hubs or Shimano Roller Brakes. Those are way more durable, reliable, and long lasting than discs, and they work better the smaller a wheel they are laced into.

There is another user here who's trying to sell a pair of bikes (no longer commercially available) that meet your criteria except for light weight, and could probably be made pretty lightweight by changing a few parts. PM me if you want to know more.

The Soma Mini Velo is a lightweight, high performance 20" wheeled bike. But it does not take disc brakes and it's based on the uncommon ISO 451 wheel size, which isn't what we usually mean when we talk about 20" wheels.

The only way you could hit all your goals is to build a 20" bike from bits, there are a few 26" trials frames with seats that will work,

Didn't see the Hooligan yet. That bike looks perfect! Nice frame too. Downside is they aren't really available here in my country (can't find a single one used), I found only 1 shop which sells it... for €890 :?

What about this idea... buying a gravity bike like the Bergamont Kiez (see picture below), a 24" bike with disc brakes. Then buy some nice 20" wheels and some Maxxis hookworms. Would look cool while still having a lightweight frame. (These bikes can be found pretty cheap on ebay in my country) Don't want that 10-speed though.
01.jpg

Only problem is those 20" wheels... I would need a front wheel with disc brake hub and a rear wheel with thread on the right side and a disc brake mount on the left side. These aren't available at standard shops... (at least, I couldn't find it) Does somebody know where I could get this 20" wheel? Buying a single rim, spokes and a hub is a little pricey, isn't it?

Here's another one: http://yooniq.eu/en

1000x600-22cd1d7a76-Yooniq-2.jpg

Not much cheaper than the Hooligan but a more convenient frame.

Reminds me of the Burro bike frame used for the Machine-X:
http://www.greenspeed.us/machine-x_bike_review.htm

Attachments

• Burro-bike.jpg
    Burro-bike.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 8,802
I see shorter adults riding 20" bikes all the time. Not so convenient for me now, but I was 6" when I started high school and was bmx racing on 20" wheel bikes, so I suppose this could work for you.

It's gone from the market, but used the XGames motorbike with front and rear disc brakes can be found in the U.S. for $50.

I just gotta wonder, what's up with the rear hub on this one?

image02b.jpg

Miles said:
Here's another one: http://yooniq.eu/en

Not much cheaper than the Hooligan but a more convenient frame.

Reminds me of the Burro bike frame used for the Machine-X:
http://www.greenspeed.us/machine-x_bike_review.htm

It's also reminiscent of the Origin 8 Bully, which failed after a short, unremarkable life in the marketplace. The Bully was a little less inviting for an in-the-frame battery pack.
bully2.jpg

http://www.altonus.com/web/bikes/minivelo.php

Here's a 20" wheeled, adult sized non folder that I have seen in person and it is quite usable (ie not a BSO toy...)

Bikes direct.com used to sell a mini too but I no longer see it on their site.

find a second hand HIGH Bottom bracket freeride bike and convert it.

how about twin 16" wheels and disk brakes? see my signature

Dauntless said:
I was 6" when I started high school [/img]

Wow! You were short. I think I was only about only about 2 months in the womb when I was 6 inches. :D

I know it is a typo but it still made me chuckle. Thanks for that.

On the topic of this thread, I am glad I browsed it. There are quite a few excellent little wheel bike out there that I had never heard of. I must admit that the Hooligan is my favorite.

This one looks like fun
http://www.walmart.com/ip/20-Mongoose-Boys-Massif-Black-Yellow/29741122

Thud said:
This one looks like fun
http://www.walmart.com/ip/20-Mongoose-Boys-Massif-Black-Yellow/29741122

That's awesome!! I need one!

I wonder if those tyres are 20" O/D or on the same dia rims as regular 20" wheels making them a larger dia?

Hello guys.
I asked a friend of mine that comes back from US to Italy without baggage, to buy and bring one of those Moongose massif with him on the airplane....so it was a really cheap deal.
Now the bike is here in front of me ( and even if I always declared my unlike about fats, I have now a 26" and this stupid 20" toy) :evil: .
The bike frame looks good and well gusseted (I would add some more, in the critical areas if you ask me, for adult or electric use). The rest of the bike components are trash. Wheels are funny but pinned and anyway cheap Chinese stuff. Geaometry isn't that bad if you put a long seatpost and a taller Bmx or chopper bar.

As for all the bikes that pass thru my hands, I've measured it so these are the specs:

Wheels:
ETRTO 406x93(100)
Tires:
(20"x4" 1/4")
100mm wide
556mm high
front dropout: 135mm
rear dropout: 175mm
ISO disc mount: yes

Frame:
100mm BB shell
175mm rear dropouts width
whelbase: 924mm
BB to ground: 250mm
Axle to Ground: 280mm
chainstay: 380mm
chainline: 73mm
toptube (virtual): 490mm
toptube (actual) 475mm
Seatpost Dia: 1 1/8
Seatpost min: 580mm
headtube angle: 69°
headset: 1" threaded
headtube lenght: 117mm
Dropout style: welded, 10mm vertical
Dropout mounts: ISO Disc mount (LH), derailleur hanger (RH)

fork:
dropout width 135mm
Axle to headtube (lower edge) 355mm
trail.: 90mm,

weight: 17.5 Kg

What I already have on the shelf that I may use to restyle the bike:

Bar: BMX 9"
saddle: BMX
Brakes: hayes So1e
Longer seatpost
Derailleur/shifter Sram x7 short cage + revo
Sinz Short isis crankset + gigapipe 100
Bmx pedals
Better headset.
Legal hubmotor candidate: XiongDa 2 speed
Medium power candidate <750w geared scooter hubmotor (suggestions?)
Extreme hubmotor candidate: Minimonster or higher power, non-bike standard motors.

I could try my astro 3220 drive on it with a longer jackshaft assembly....as I plan to do on the 26" fat.

Cheers

APPELBOOM said:
Hello,

I'm searching for a bike which has 20" wheels, disc brakes (front and rear) and it should be small and leightweight. The perfect bike would be an BMX bike with disc brakes... however, I didn't see a BMX bike with disc brakes yet for some reason :?: I saw trials bikes... these have disc brakes, but don't have a seat :lol:

So... could anyone help me choosing the correct bike? I don't want to go over >€300 though (for a used one).

The bike will be converted to electric with a non-hub motor and the main feature of the bike should be lightweight.

2nd-hand Cannondale Hooligan. Perfect!

Savvas

Back