Air Compressor 230V 12A

marty

1 MW
What size breaker? I assume 2 pole circuit breaker. What gauge wire? Wire from breaker to receptacle will be about 100 feet.
View attachment 5
air_compressor02.jpg
air_compressor03.jpg
air_compressor04.jpg
View attachment 1
430.52.gif

430.22 Single Motor
Conductors that supply a single motor used in a continuous duty application shall have an ampacity of not less than 125 percent of the motor full-load current rating, as determined by 430.6(A)(1), or not less than specified in 430.22(A) through (G).

www.leeson.com on their tech info elect page the chart they have states 220v single phase motor requires #10 copper wire with a run of 100 feet, (150' #8) but I would go with #8, under a compressor starting load 2 pole motor might not start with a voltage drop that occurs under a high current load, I had to lengthen the time the air unload er valve would stay open, because a 3450 motor took a little took a little to long to come up to speed. Pumping into a air tank starting the motor into a 150lb pressure head --175lb turn off, if the motor was still in the starting winding when the unload er valve would close, the motor would stop. I made a extension cord @ 100' by using 2 #8's and a #10 as the ground, into a garden hose metal boxes on ends.

30a breaker should be good. It's high enough that you won't trip it on startup, and low enough that it will catch a stalled motor. I agree with using a size thicker wire, ac motors run cooler when voltage is higher. Also ensure you actually have 220v and not 215 or 230. If you have 215 it will be necessary to use the largest wire affordable. 230 would pose no problem.

i think you will find that the AC is actually 245V. it has capacitive start so you can use a regular 100' long 16AWG extension cord.

you will have to wire up a regular duplex outlet with 240V from your service panel or make a jumper from the dryer outlet.

make sure you label the duplex outlet as 240V. i use red fingernail polish on the duplex outlets with 240V.

Your gonna want to use regular 12/2 romex building wire (yellow stuff)for the 100' run from your panel to receptacle. For the receptacle itself you will want a Nema 6-20R straight blade probably non tamper, and a 6-20P straight blade male cord cap to plug into that. Your house panel will require a 2pole20amp circuit breaker of whichever brand it end up being. Or if it is a standard sized panel slot you can use a Cutler-Hammer classified CL220 breaker which is listed to pass inspection in most brand panels(except CH and QO)

Now for the extension cord or wire plugging the compressor to the Receptacle, you can simply use 12/3 SJEOOW rated at 20amps 250v weather and oil resistant.

dnmun said:
i think you will find that the AC is actually 245V. it has capacitive start so you can use a regular 100' long 16AWG extension cord.

you will have to wire up a regular duplex outlet with 240V from your service panel or make a jumper from the dryer outlet.

make sure you label the duplex outlet as 240V. i use red fingernail polish on the duplex outlets with 240V.
Don't use [NEMA 5-15 or 5-20] 120V receptacles for 240V. Regular 120V [NEMA 5-15 or 5-20] plug should not fit into a 240V receptacle.

don't be stupid. you can use a regular three pronged plug for 240V and you do not have to use 12AWG wire to run that little compressor. you guys don't seem to have good sense at all.

dnmun said:
don't be stupid. you can use a regular three pronged plug for 240V and you do not have to use 12AWG wire to run that little compressor. you guys don't seem to have good sense at all.

I've ruined compressor motors with too small wire causing voltage drop. Ac motors without magnets don't have an inherent kv, and will pull higher amps to meet the loaded synchronous speed when voltage is lower than spec. If it is enough to bring the motor temp up past intended operating temp, a thermal runaway starts. This is most critical when duty cycle is over 50%, although even at lower duty the motor runs hotter than it should.

it has a capacitive start motor. it pulls maybe 6 amps when running. maybe 10A when the motor has locked which is where they get the 2HP label.

it has a regular plug on the end but he cannot plug it into a regular duplex outlet because he doesn't have the ability to label it as 240V. so overdo everything. that is what money is there for.

Well, it is his choice to avoid wiring 240 into a 120v outlet. Not sure why it rubs you the wrong way, I wouldn't want that sort of wiring in my house either. My wife wouldn't know that "240v" on a normal outlet was anything meaningful.

OK, wrong side of the pond so I could be way off...

It says 12A and that is the max. We don't have a motor we are specifying for, we have goods with a power plate that should reflect it's needs. As it says 12A so the next fuse up from 12, which would be a standard 13A plug here, in any socket(recepticle?) you can find. If you want to use no fuse on the goods, but instead protect the out going circuit at the fuse box, like seems the norm over there, Then I would be looking at a 16A breaker within the board.

Wire in gauge? No idea. A bit of 2.5mm2 perhaps. 4mm is big and I have nothing between. Looks like 10 or 12 US.

edit: don't put 240v in to a system where 120v goods can be connected. You have 240v plugs available. Don't ignore segregation standards.

whatever. i find it very convenient to split a duplex outlet with 240V on the top outlet and 120V on the lower outlet since it is convenient to have both voltages at the same location. i have no problem reading the label or the red nail polish.

dnmun said:
whatever. i find it very convenient to split a duplex outlet with 240V on the top outlet and 120V on the lower outlet since it is convenient to have both voltages at the same location. i have no problem reading the label or the red nail polish.

Your just building a system for yourself though. You do that if you want. Problem is a qualified electrician could walk in and get it wrong. They are not qualified to understand nail polish. They instead know what comes out of sockets/receptacles because standards have been set that protect people from getting it wrong. If an electrician can get it wrong, then what sort of use is this supply in a typical domestic setting? I'm guessing from your use of nail polish that a woman is present. Might she just put in a plug because it simply fits? Might the op have kids, friends or other visitors that could get at this illegal socket? It's just not good advice pal. Many of us do things against the regs, but advising others to do it is a bit wrong. You obviously carry no qualification, but as I do I have to get it right. If I agree with you, I get 15 years when the op dies. You get told off. I know better you see. Advising someone to stick 240v into the back of their 120v sockets is wreckless to say the least. You can and should hide behind your ignorance at this point, It is your only legal standing. I can't though. What I say is legally binding. You see, I have to speak out, it's my duty of care. Sorry...

Back