Another Giant DH Team build but this time Clyte 4065 on 24s

So what is everyone using for a fuse and fuse holder? I re-used the last fuse holder from my last bike but at 30 amps isn't cutting it. It will hold up to 50 amps for a few seconds but that's it. As far as ready made fuse holders that are inline 30 amp is the highest I have found. There are car stereo in line fuses and holders up to 60 amps. Has anyone tried one of these with the round glass fuses? Like this but maybe another brand ----> http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062255

Tom

Powerrx.com sells 40-50 amp fuses along with a super sturdy fuse holder.
I ordered a couple fuses from them because 40 amp blade fuses aren't anywhere around here.

SO I got a fuse holder and some 40 amp fuses. This bike has some major grunt compared to my BMC I was running on 18s. I have the amperage up to 52 and my get up and go is just crazy.

I have my programming set up as Current 50 amp and phase 100. Throttle is nice and smooth. I read the closer you get to 2.5 ratio the throttle gets a bit jumpy. As the weather warms up and I can get more time on the bike I will play with these settings more.

I started out running 2 on regen but I'm getting axle rock. The Doc ultimate torque arms are 9 thousands too big so I used a feeler gauge to find what I needed to tighten things up and 9 thousands was as tight as I could get it. My gauge is now missing half of the .009 feeler. With regen this strong I don't think brakes are needed at all. Right now I'm using auto regen but think I want to add a momentary switch and use it manually since with gloves on if I let off the throttle to get a more comfortable grip I'm stopping really quick. Hopefully this will tighten the axle up for longevity. If not I'll make a clamping torque arm to add to the build.

So on percentages of throttle I put 1 on 50%, 2 on 75% and 3 on 100% All was really good but I saw where some run over 100% so I ran 115% on 3 and what a power boost that was. What exactly does going over 100% do? Obviously it can't go higher than the voltage I'm running but man did it make a difference. I think for the future I'll reprogram to 75%, 100% and 115%. 50% while is still way breaking the law is lethargic by my taste. 75% will keep me looking somewhat legal and looking way more responsible, 100% for showing off and 115% for scaring the crap out of myself.

I read all the stickies on controllers or most of them anyway but any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Tom

Finally got a good ride on the bike today. Feels really powerful. Topping out at 53 amps with a top speed of 47 mph. Bike is just so great feeling. Did some light off road through some kinda rough fields with some steep sections and this thing did not let me down. If I'm not leaning over the bars at the start I'm going to be laying on my back. I need to learn to control my right hand but I can't right now. Power is addicting!!!

I've still been procrastinating on finishing the fork lift/Pelican battery case since I can ride it as is with the Falcon EV frame bag. I can stuff 8- 6s 5000 batteries in there which is good for about 15 high powered mostly full throttle miles. The 1300 series Pelican Case will hold 12- 6s 5000 and I could still stuff another 24s 2p in the bag if I really want to go on a long ride.

It appears my new 7 speed free wheel is bad because it skips a beat every 2 times around. I thought is was my chain skipping at first but with the help of my trusty Go-pro found out it was the free wheel. I also found out that a 44 tooth front and a 11 tooth small sprocket isn't worth a dam over 35 mph, Worked fine on my last bike that topped out at 34 mph.

Weighed the bike today on the bath scale and hit exactly 84 lbs with 8 Zippy 6s 5000 packs. I guess that isn't bad considering I started with a 42 lbs bike. I guess I'll start posting videos here via youtube.

Tom

SO I finally got off my ass and built the "fork lift" rack for my Pelican 1300 series battery "vault!" Every time I came up with a design and then let it "simmer" in my brain I just didn't like it. I tried complex and I tried simple.....I went with pretty much the lightest, simplest design I could being built out of steel. Need to get a tig welder one of these days so I can start building with aluminum!

Way back I bought some rubber isolated pipe hangers that fit my forks. On my DH Team it has carbon fiber inverted forks that have a different diameter between the top and bottom triple clamps. I found that with the rubber isolated pipe hangers work for both! So I fabricated a "U" out of angle iron that fit the case with the addition of 2 slots for the case feet. I needed to keep the case as high as possible so the tire couldn't bottom out on the bottom on it. It was close but I was able to keep it up high enough even with upper triple clamp direct mount stem flange. I welded the clamps directly to the fork lift mount so I wouldn't have to worry of something coming loose. I then used a ratchet strap hooked around both lower clamps so I can tighten up everything nice and snug. Nothing moves or makes any noise. The real test will be an off road adventure, I'll get back to you all on that. The mount is super strong and it has to be considering I am mounting 22 lbs 7 oz of 24s3p battery and case weight on it. I didn't do a powered run but I peddled around my garage with all the batteries in the case mounted to the fork and I really don't notice much. I guess super slow stuff is noticeable but that is it to me. My garage is 2200 sq feet so I was able to get some "miles" in to see how I liked it. I do like it. I'm hoping the added "ballast" to the front end will tame down my wheelie machine since I'm not really a wheelie-er! We got 5" of snow/freezing rain so it will be a bit before I can really give it a run. I have to say I'm pretty happy with the fact that I can run 24s3p in the Pelican case and another 24s2p in the Falcon bag if I really want to run some distance. I'm going to have to try it just for fun come spring time. Painting will come at the end after I'm happy with everything.

See the pictures,

Tom

See

Attachments

• DSCF5141.JPG
    DSCF5141.JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 2,219
  • DSCF5151.JPG
    DSCF5151.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 2,219
  • DSCF5150.JPG
    DSCF5150.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 2,219
  • DSCF5149.JPG
    DSCF5149.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 2,219
  • DSCF5146.JPG
    DSCF5146.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 2,219
  • DSCF5145.JPG
    DSCF5145.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 2,219
  • DSCF5144.JPG
    DSCF5144.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 2,219
  • DSCF5143.JPG
    DSCF5143.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 2,219
  • DSCF5142.JPG
    DSCF5142.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 2,219
I think I see atleast three different brands of lipo in that pile on your floor :wink: . Do you know if they will discharge evenly?
Great to see you got some work done! Looks like a pretty solid solution. You going to keep the frame bag in the frame for carrying lunch or your charging equipment?

I've been rotating the lipos seeing how they work together. They are different C ratings but seem to work well together. I noticed when I connect them at cell level (read balance plugs!) they discharge perfectly the same.

Debating on whether or not I'm going to keep the frame bag in all the time. I have a rear rack and bag for carrying stuff although I might need to ditch it to fit my rear fender.

I will only charge at home at this point.

Tom

Pchen92,

I can't compare it to anything but my BMC V2 Speed on 18s and it blows it away. I only have it cranked up to 52 amps and it's a wheelie machine with my 200 lbs....well 195 to 200 depending on what I ate. Climbs really well but since it's winter I haven't had any super long rides yet. Longest ride has only been right under 10 miles.

So far the motor has given me everything I wanted and watching others videos of this motor tells me that off road it will not disappoint me. I haven't even finished this bike and already dreaming of my next even more powerful set up.....In a Stealth or Phasor frame.

Tom

Moving forward at a snails pace....

Dash is done, all I'm lacking now is actually finishing! CA, switch for future lights and key switch.

Tom

Attachments

• DSCF5153.JPG
    DSCF5153.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 2,103
litespeed said:
Moving forward at a snails pace....

Dash is done, all I'm lacking now is actually finishing! CA, switch for future lights and key switch.

Tom
No build details/pics :eek: ????? :cry:
Looks good mate! What is that box made out of and how is it mounted?
Your just trying to keep the weight up in the front to prevent wheelies aren't you? Lol
What's your economy at at around 24 mph?

Um.....I didn't take pictures of the dash but I will when painting time comes. I didn't want a rats nest of wires open to view so I figured I but some in a box. It weighs in with bracket at about 6oz and also needed a spot for my key switch.

Saturday is supposed to be in the mid 60's....yea! I will find out what she can do then at 24 mph? Why that particular number?
First time I did a wheelie and wasn't expecting it wasn't cool. The more weight there the better.

Tom

litespeed said:
Um.....I didn't take pictures of the dash but I will when painting time comes. I didn't want a rats nest of wires open to view so I figured I but some in a box. It weighs in with bracket at about 6oz and also needed a spot for my key switch.

Saturday is supposed to be in the mid 60's....yea! I will find out what she can do then at 24 mph? Why that particular number?
First time I did a wheelie and wasn't expecting it wasn't cool. The more weight there the better.

Tom
It's a nice cruising speed that doesn't consume much power. I just want to get an idea on how much power it consumes at that speed so I can get an idea how much range I can get with my smaller 20S 10aH pack. Doesn't look like I'm going to get much warm weather anytime soon :cry:
Thanks a lot man.

I got a 20 miler in today and what a great bike this is. Wow does it have some power. Did a quick 50mph run at the start, kept the mid 20mph for a while, did some more 40+ mph straight a ways, did a bit of off roading (rained for hours this morning!) and this thing climbs like a billy goat. One off road section gains about 100 feet in a quarter mile and I didn't have to peddle once. I have some go pro footage but it's 3+ gig for a 35 min video. I guess I need to learn how to edit??? Battery pack didn't have much left after the 20 miles but considering my speeds I couldn't have been more pleased.

I think I'm going to sell off a bunch of my batteries and go to 12 of the same packs. Even though I have to chargers that put out 4 x 20 amps pulling the packs in and out is a pain in the butt. I sent an E-mail to some of the lipo BMS makers cause I want to hard wire the whole set up and just use a single charger. Plug in and go!!!

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated. See the pics of the finished bike minus the paint. I still need to paint the fork rack, controller and dash mount. Lights will come as soon as I find out what I want.

Tom

Attachments

• DSCF5159.JPG
    DSCF5159.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 2,038
  • DSCF5158.JPG
    DSCF5158.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 2,038
  • DSCF5156.JPG
    DSCF5156.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 2,038
  • DSCF5155.JPG
    DSCF5155.JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 2,038
  • DSCF5161.JPG
    DSCF5161.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 2,038
Hey,
I was just wondering how your bike went after you tweaked the current?
Cheers

Life got in the way. My son is a Jr. Police officer with the city and needed a ride to an event after work. So I get home, finish charging the last bank of batteries, load up and the wife comes home and tells me she had a shitty day. Really couldn't leave after. Bad thing about e-bikes which is similar to off road motorcycles is that you can't really carry on a conversation with someone if you only have one e-bike or with 2 at speed. So now I have 12-6s lipo's charged ready to go and the weather turned cold again. Highs in the 40's for the next 5 days with snow tonight.

Bummer!

Tom

litespeed said:
Life got in the way. My son is a Jr. Police officer with the city and needed a ride to an event after work. So I get home, finish charging the last bank of batteries, load up and the wife comes home and tells me she had a shitty day. Really couldn't leave after. Bad thing about e-bikes which is similar to off road motorcycles is that you can't really carry on a conversation with someone if you only have one e-bike or with 2 at speed. So now I have 12-6s lipo's charged ready to go and the weather turned cold again. Highs in the 40's for the next 5 days with snow tonight.

Bummer!

Tom

All good. When you do make it out let us know how she goes :D

Time for some video action. First video shows speed and mountain climbing. Not a ton of the latter because it rain this day. Very powerful set up. I can only imagine what the hotter 54XX and Cro-motors are like.

[youtube]4f7U5IyEUz4[/youtube]

Tom

Funny thing about power is I always want to be using it on the bike but as we all know we have to go easy on the throttle or cut our range down to just a few miles. The video isn't exciting being the first one and all but really shows of the great areas I have to ride on/in. Once the weather settles down and I hit some of the gnarly single track stuff the videos will surly get way more exciting. The awesome single tracks are the #1 reason for going electric in the first place.

Hope the video is OK.

Tom

Been out quite a few times this year and still loving the bike minus the charging of 12 separate 6s packs. I have two high powered chargers and bulk charge each of 4-6s 5000 packs at 17.6 amps so I'm ready to go again in about an hour but I really wish I just had a plug and play set up.

Here is another video,

[youtube]jDTsFDxB0_w[/youtube]

Tom

Order a bulk chArger through Ian.mich.
He said he uses the same manufacturer that High power cycles uses for their bulk chargers. Mine is working flawlessly. Hope this helps. :D
If it isn't too much trouble, could you find out your rom/volt on the 4065? I may have demagnetized mine a teeny tiny bit :cry: . But I don't want to say such things until I actually know I demagged it lol.
Thanks in advance.

How do I find the rom/volt? A quick google search reviled nothing using "Ian.mich"? I'm sure as much as I have read that I should know who this is but I don't.

Tom

Nevermind man. Thanks for everything though! I got Zombiess' throttle tamer and it seems the maxV pot got turned the other way or something limiting the throttle input into the controller. All is well now :D
Sorry, my iPhone isn't the greatest for typing on the forum :oops:

You thinking about pulling the trigger on a bulk charger now?

Back