Bafang 8FUN + External Controller?

pipster11

1 mW
Hi Guys,

I tried searching but could only find small little bits of information.

I've got a 750w 8FUN mid drive to play around with which has a broken controller.

Rather than getting another stock controller and replacing it. I thought it would be interesting to see what kind of performance gains there were by maybe running more Volts and Amps through it.

I understand that a sensor-less controller will be easier to setup, just wondering if there is a thread where this has been discussed before, or some more information someone can guide me towards.

Cheers!

By hearsay I heard of a company (retail sales) that is/was considering using a external controller on the 750watt Bafang motor, but they have had some returns on the standard motor battery system, owners using the unit under full power (off road hills?) as much as they could, have destroyed the plastic driven motor internal gear. They were driving the unit at 1200+ watts, (tweaked the controller?) which is probably above the design limit of the gear system.

Interesting indeed.

I wonder if that gear could be made of steel, and if so why is the standard made of plastic? (I'm guessing noise, but its helical so shouldn't be too bad).

I've noticed that quite a few are having issues with the higher powered 8fun mid-drive and most seem to be controller related.
It just makes sense to me that removing the controller as a source of heat inside the casing could only be a good thing.

Yes, the Bafang mid dirve controllers aren't cheap.

I'm mainly looking for a suitable cheap controller that can be wired into the bafang connections and be mounted externally to the drive unit.

You can try Lyen
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=55339
But you will probably loose torque sensor and entire PAS functionality.
I have successfully running Conhismotor controller with torque simulated sensor on my GNG. Don't know if is possible for Bafang.

Back