bairdco racing at adams, september 15, 2012

Update.

It was decided to do 2 x 6lap heats for each group. Then a 12lap main.

First group is fun-run/slow
Second group is medium fast racers.
Third group is unlimited.

First round of heats:

I did not catch winner of the fun-run group.

Our Etard won the medium group on his tiny HobbyKing 80-100 RC motor bike! It was a great race to watch, he smashed them off the start and kept pulling ahead through corners with a pack of gas bikes behind him for about 3 laps. Then the gas bikes started catching him... he rode very well and managed to hold off being passed, dispute having a gas bike enter the final straight nearly side by side, took the checker and won! Woot!

Also of note in this race, Farfles other bike (an oil filled 9c running in medium class) had its front wheel rip off! At speed! The rider was not hurt dispute doing some pavement tumbleing and sliding.

Next was unlimited. I think we had 8-10 in the group, Farfles race bike ridden by his good rider buddy and I were the only Ebikes. Green machines got this race on video, and its going to have some great footage. My bike stayed together and I kept it rubber side down and took the checker, farfles bike in second, and a strong lead over the gas bikes.

Thud is here with his son and 2 bikes. I'm not sure what the status of them are at this time.

OK, I gotta get back to prepping my bike and get my gear on!

awesome news. congrats etard & luke! these pics just in from luke:
IMG_20120914_213927.jpg

IMG_20120915_173330.jpg

IMG_20120915_173347.jpg

IMG_20120915_173815.jpg

IMG_20120915_173852.jpg

IMG_20120915_173900.jpg

IMG_20120915_174120.jpg

Quick update, heat two of the unlimited class, of the gate LFP took the challenge at the back of the starting line and took a lap and a half to pass the entire field, then a slowly gaining. game of cat and mouse for the last four laps, but couldn't reel in fast enough. Finishing order: Farfle, LFP and then scotto. Final unlimited race is in an hour or so.

Truly excellent race!

As usual, the gassers were over classed by the electrics.

Luke's controller overheated and his bike slowly lost power. Farfle's rider did a super job and drove the last few laps like a madman for a well deserved win in the main I think Farfle mentioned that he was hitting over 72 mph on the straight.

The 107* temp was a large factor.

RESULTS!
Stock Class (new racers, 50cc bikes, low powered E Bikes, etc...)

1. #8 Edan 4 stroke (1st time racer. graduated to next class for next race)
2. #114 Will (SoSauty) #3K electric
3. #6 Jeff Wolf (CCC) China
4. #96 Sin (nostyle) - China
5. #420 No Info? Can't remember your name, sorry... (china)
DNF #A200 Dennis Bell (DMB) - Morini
DNF #26 Super Harry - 4 stroke
DNF #60 Bob Turk (Turkman) - China
DNF #3 Erwin Bragg - Whizzer
DNF #40 Todd Lane - China

Pro Class (modified Chinas, Faster E Bikes, Mid 4 strokes)

1. #8 Steve (Magrider) China
2. #89 Ryan Scruggs (Arrow Cycles)
3. #98 Brian Nash (Nashmoto) 49cc 4stroke
4. #68 Norman (Venice Bikes) China

Ultimate Class (Everything Else)

1. #116 Bart - Farfle's Ebike
2. #100 Luke (Live For Physics) - Ebike
3. #69 Ken Vidal - Boxer
4. #98 Brian Nash (Nashmoto) 196cc 4 stroke
5. #3 Scotto (200cc 4 stroke)
6. #8 Steve (magrider) - 11HP Morini

Crash and Burn Trophy #116. front wheel fell off at speed in heat one, last corner.

Racer's Choice Award #40 Todd (THUD.) Drove all the way out from Michigan with his son, and destroyed every bike he touched... :)

I missed some of you, there were a bunch more DNF's, i lost some paperwork when the whirlwind came through around 4:30pm, and i'm freakin tired right now, so if this info isn't 100% accurate, sorry about that. help me out and i'll fix it...

Rider of 116 is bartimaeus here on the forums, he had his own oil cooled 9C bike; number 119, that had the front wheel fall off.

It was a hot day yesterday in Riverside and the racing went straight into the night. Of course I wasn't really able to get any good night shots from the main events but here are some some pics of the daytime activities.

It was great to be there and see some of the work I've been admiring here on ES. I'm really glad I went.

Let there be no mistake, this was hard core, no holds barred racing, and the domination of the electrics was awesome to witness!

I will probably split these pics up into two posts. Here's the first one....

A couple of views into the main ES pits.

View attachment 7

pits2.jpg

Mystery fat tire bike....

View attachment 5

Etard on his way to victory.

etard1.jpg

etard3.jpg

etard2.jpg

etard5.jpg

etard6.jpg

some more pics from yesterday...

thuds 2-speed bmx based machine. Very sanitary...
View attachment 6

Sosauty's 9c / lipo powered folder. A very simple and effective racebike
sosauty.jpg

farfles mid mount machine. This is basically the format in the unlimited class as LFPs bike has a similar overall layout, albeit without rear suspension.
Very impressive construction and attention to detail.
farfle2.jpg

Pre-
-grid
farfle1.jpg

farfle and his ringer bart...
farfle3.jpg

LFP center
grid.jpg

Unlimited domination

Bart on the massively banked turns of Adams motorsports park...
(actually some of the turns are pretty steeply banked...)
farflebart.jpg

LFP on his way to domination.
He was starting at the rear of the grid and would fly past the gas bikes as if they were standing still.
He was moving so fast it was hard to get a clear picture.
LFP1.jpg

LFPs victory lap wheelie. I think this was heat two.
LFP2.jpg

Great racing!

Better than MotoGP I say!! :twisted:

Hey guys, I tracked down the thread for the race on the gas bike forum and asked them if they could post any pics they have of the ebikes and also gave them a link to this thread. If someone could post any pics with the gas bikes in them that would be awesome.

Here's the link to the thread: http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=42410

Awesome race, gonna have to build me a better bike!

Here is first set of picture taken by Acuteaero. I have another set of pics from another camera that the battery is dead, so it will be a while before i can upload those.

Attachments

• DSC02227.jpg
    DSC02227.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 4,212
  • DSC02231.jpg
    DSC02231.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 4,212
  • DSC02233.jpg
    DSC02233.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 4,212
  • DSC02236.jpg
    DSC02236.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 4,212
  • DSC02259.jpg
    DSC02259.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 4,212
  • DSC02263.jpg
    DSC02263.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 4,212
  • DSC02305.jpg
    DSC02305.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 4,212
  • DSC02310.jpg
    DSC02310.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 4,212
Thank you to everyone who came out! I had a great time meeting you/hanging out with you all. It was a great fun way to spend my birthday :)

Luke's death bike totally fits into the Prius, leaving no doubt that it is a bicycle and not a motorcycle, and that the Prius is the ultimate e-race transporter vehicle.

This is a death-bike e-bicycle charging at 2kw from the high-voltage Prius battery via some wires I installed, Farfle's bike was also plugged in at the time:
20120915_223208.jpg

It was a mostly lucky weekend, aside from Chase's front wheel skewer failing and allowing his front wheel to depart from the forks in a turn and Etard's LiPo trials.

I think it's awesome he did as well as he did with such a rag-tag bunch of packs! He said they were nuked by the end of the day- hot, puffed and leaking electrolyte! Time to send some more money to Hobbyking- gotta tithe if you want to pray in the church of LiPo :p
20120915_165943.jpg

On the good side, when Farfle's wheel bearings went bad early in the day in practice we were able to find a workable replacement solution after driving around Riverside for about three hours visiting hardware stores and bike shops (I think everything in So Cal is 20 miles or more from anything else! Adds up!) And Luke's sweet mega beefy front end did not fail him despite my best efforts- he noticed that I had neglected to tighten the axle pinch bolts before anything went wrong, and the "star wars" whine noise under hard braking turned out to be the "100 mph" number (styrofoam) plate taped to the forks contacting the top of the tire when the forks collapsed under braking :lol:

Best of all neither Luke nor I crashed the car from falling asleep at the wheel while driving the thousand mile, 32 hour round trip... that's 16 hours of driving, 16 hours of racing and other stuff, on about 3 hours of sleep. :roll:

Now, back to real life, I've got classes I've got to pass... Thanks again for the awesome event! I'm glad I went and I'm very glad everyone else did too.

Rather tight heart gripping races. Lots of lead changes. Bumped my power/handling performance up but found everyone else did the same. Goat heat sticker thorn plantation. 3 class racing worked out.

Incredulious crash right in front of me, missed by inches, lucky he (Chase) was young and unhurt. Dave (Etard) finally won, at least his 1st heat. My dialed in 3K electric didn't quite hang with modded China Girls, finished last in (mid-speed)Pro heat, by 100yds, so dropped down to less competitive Stock class. Chased #8 Edion but he rode well and outpowered me (#114 24" red folder). My little electric ran flawlessly but I'm a little slow for the mid-class and a little overpowered for the less competitive stock class (stuck in the middle again). I always say, "2nd place pedals hardest."

Gary pedalled 45miles to spectate and help out.
Rob and Greg of Piston Bikes gave their blood, sweat, and gears flawlessly flagging/scorekeeping, jumping in and blowing off the track and any loose ends that needed a volunteer. Pats on the backs due those 3 gents.

#98NashMoto runs a finely tuned Honda 49cc. Only a few 66cc 2strokes can best him. Scotto puts a grin on my face every race; this time he killed his loud thumper just off the start line; the pack blazing into the 1st turn and him a yanking on a quite motor. Once moving, he really did move on. One of the 70+mph electrics had an 'over protective' controller and would shut down; lose the lead, regain the lead, shut down, lose the lead, gain the lead.

Awesome guys! Video?

New pics...let me know if any of you guys want any of these in higher resolution. I wish this interface would allow us to upload slightly larger pics.

Attachments

• IMG_9205.jpg
    IMG_9205.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 4,419
  • IMG_9219.jpg
    IMG_9219.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 4,419
  • IMG_9220.jpg
    IMG_9220.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 4,419
  • IMG_9242.jpg
    IMG_9242.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 4,419
  • IMG_9250.jpg
    IMG_9250.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 4,419
  • IMG_9263.jpg
    IMG_9263.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 4,419
  • IMG_9264.jpg
    IMG_9264.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 4,419
  • IMG_9295.jpg
    IMG_9295.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 4,419
  • IMG_9296.jpg
    IMG_9296.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 4,419
  • IMG_9311.jpg
    IMG_9311.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 4,419
  • IMG_9318.jpg
    IMG_9318.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 4,419
Thanks for the great pics guys!

Eric- Do you have the wheelie footage in HD by chance? I would love to get some from you if you do.

Deathbike's rear wheel held-on like a champ through the event, but today going to lunch it let go completely and suddenly. lol

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=43899

IMG_20120917_131137.jpg

Doood! Shredded spoke chain and sprocket sandwich! That's trophy worthy!

Here is some footage of the Unlimited finals from the upper level of the booth in the middle of the track hacked together by my dad. Camera wasn't agreeing with the low light level.

[youtube]xC9KYF-SJkU[/youtube]

Back