Bike Friendly City?

:cry:

"It was later determined that the cyclist was intentionally hit..."

An especially dastardly deed. Something similar happened a year ago at a bridge on my main route. Eyewitness saw the driver intentionally swerve to hit the bicyclist and roared off; killing killing the cyclist, a well-loved community member.

I live in the most bike friendly country in the world, according to NotJustBikes at least but who am I to question his authority. But even here, traffic accidents involving cyclists are on the up and up.

2022 291 fatalities, which is an increase of 84 compared to the year before. Car fatal accidents also rose, but far less. What was notable was also that the age group of 75+ were a large part of this increase.

This year two people died on a 'stroad' ( ontsluitingsweg -> Dutch terminology ) close to me while crossing with their bikes, and our municipality is all on the local news saying how they are going to change it. But they told us that years ago as well, and so far the only traffic calming in effect is a 'green wave' most drivers don't even know about and a bicycle tunnel at one end of the stroad so you don't have to cross it at all.. which doesn't help much as it's not in the direct route people take. Eventually either more traffic calming methods need to be applied, as the stroad currently invites breaking the speed limit ( it's used for street races during the off hours for a reason.. ), or cyclists need to be forced to take the tunnel detour, as anything short of that will still be a ticking time bomb.
But I praise myself lucky still with the infrastructure mostly, the dangerous points are mostly well known and avoidable ( takes a couple of minutes to avoid crossing that stroad from the intersections where most accidents occur ). Kids could go from my house to their school and have exactly one roundabout and about 150m of road where they might have to interact with cars, but the rest is all protected / separate bike lane.

It's this separation from other traffic which can make cycling inherently safe, of better said cycling is inherently unsafe if there are collision dangers with steel can's on wheels. Doesn't even matter who's at fault, could be the cyclist or not, but those steel can's always win a headbutting contest.

3/4 of traffic fatalities involve collisions ( which still leave a lot of falls, strokes and what not ).

Tin cans are murder machines. Literally in this case, with intentional hit and runs ( I been the victim of these, still here though they never got it right .. yet at least ).

Back