Bike Friendly City?

The director of transportation planning for the city of Ventura, Ca came and gave a few hour talk about their livable/bikeable streets projects. Pretty good work being implemented to help reduce these terrible accidents: http://www.cityofventura.net/bicycling-and-walking

mikebikerad said:
The director of transportation planning for the city of Ventura, Ca came and gave a few hour talk about their livable/bikeable streets projects. Pretty good work being implemented to help reduce these terrible accidents: http://www.cityofventura.net/bicycling-and-walking

What a cool thing to do. Good for my old town! I'll have to rack up the bikes and take them up there to revisit someday soon.

Chalo said:
When cyclists take the lane, they make things better for all cyclists. When they take the sidewalk, not only don't they improve things for cyclists, they make things worse for peds.

The trouble here is that drivers are so aggressive. Once at 5am, two lane roads, almost bare... the only 300 yard stretch that I had to take the lane on (otherwise I used subdivision roads and cut through parking lots) a lifted diesel 4x4 literally ran me off the empty TWO-LANE road, revving and honking as he exceeded the 25mph limit. I fear for my life any time I'm on the road because of deliberate intimidation.

Yes, he actually did turn toward me forcing me to the curb until I braked enough to cause him to pass...

Left a nice cloud of exhaust too.

If I had an ebike I'd have followed him, sans lights, and recorded his license and sure as hell confronted him (I'm a big guy so hopefully seeing me would be enough and no altercation would occur. )

Earlier in this thread, somebuddy:
We need more drivers to be aware of us on the road...

Simple solution (maybe). EVery year, once a year on "Ebike/ebiker Day", in the summer, folks gather in communities across North America to dance around a bonfire (large or small) with one or more "relics" (rusted or broken horseless carriage, aka "car", etc) on top. Invite the local media to take a pic (publish it in their newspaper etc or online). Some refreshments may be served. Once the paint etc has burst up, somebuddy breaks out the marshmallows, "hot dogs", etc.

Could be held at night-time. Check re date of monthly full moon and weather forecast.

L

Ohhh! A "triple hitter" (a baseball player might say)!

In one (watt some others might rudely call a "rag") local newspaper, page four, one story titled "Boy killed on way to school" (with two pics, one "the driver of the vehicle is consoled" - one might wonder if the driver was worried about her annual car insurance rate rising).

The next story "Top squash player fatally struck by car". Odd, I'da thought a sports player woulda loved to go out that way (hopefully "squashed"). Odd, no word on any damage to the car (BMW, I am sure a lovely car).

A third story titled "Man, 74, fatally run over by his own car". Ummm.... Anybuddy on ES EVer been run over and killed trying to park his or her own ebike?

The fourth story titled "Woman fighting for life after fire". No word on watt caused the fire, but thank the Ebike Gods it was not one of those pesky electrical bicycles (or battery pack), apparently.

Full stories, in all their glory (gory?) details, online here (on page 4):
http://eedition.toronto.24hrs.ca/epaper/viewer.aspx

L

LockH said:
The fourth story titled "Woman fighting for life after fire". No word on watt caused the fire, but thank the Ebike Gods it was not one of those pesky electrical bicycles (or battery pack), apparently.

Full stories, in all their glory (gory?) details, online here (on page 4):
http://eedition.toronto.24hrs.ca/epaper/viewer.aspx
Well, since it's a Toronto paper I suppose she might have been free-basing with Rob Ford.

[someone had to, might as well be me]

Hehe... Funny guy. I (and one-two others) actually had a sit down meeting with Mayor Rob in a small meeting room at Toronto City Hall, on July 31st, 2012. He seemed like a good guy at that time, sitting at the head of our little table like a budda, w/eyes half-closed, it seemed, then after a while (him I guess taking us/what we were talking about in... electric bicycles... surprise, surprise) he seemed to "wake up", and "sprang into action", so to speak, and directed his staff present to "get on it"/investigate. It's kinda obvious nothing came of that little meeting, but I do still receive emails from his office ("form letter" sorta thingees), and do still hope to speak to the guy again (missed him more recently, when he came to say "thanks" to us "veterans" sitting at the cenotaph outside old city hall on Nov.11... Technically, I'm not a "veteran" at all, having just "served" as a summer student aboard a gate vessel (small ship that used to man the sub nets off Halifax harbour), but I went anyway, as my younger bro served as a Navy officer his whole career, plus our dad died earlier this year, and he was ex-Royal Canadian Navy too. But would ya believe there are now empty chairs (ie maybe not enough old soldiers/sailors/air folks to "fill them all up" any more), plus I could do with a sit down anyway.
L

Back