Bike Friendly City?

WA-bike_zpsf1ed1f87.jpg

Sounds about right. Except the Ratio of bikes to cars is surprisingly small. Lots of bike lanes and not too many bikes. Great for cyclists.
Local governments are promoting the bike to work concept, and putting lots of funds toward the infrastructure, cause they know that traffic is horrible, but I think weather keeps a lot of potential cyclists in the cars.

teslanv said:
I think weather keeps a lot of potential cyclists in the cars.
Easy solution (solar-lution) maybe. Build canvas etc. canopies/roofs over roads and bicycle pathways (at least covers that orient east/west, with some south-facing solar panels on top (to feed electric bicycle rider plugins etc.).

Quote from last line of article: "The city has yet to find a way to come up with the money to pay for the master bike plan."
Great idea unless they make a tax or toll on bikes to pay for it (alluded to in reader comments).

Bike Infrastructure costs will ultimately come out of the general fund or gas tax, and then they'll tell the voters that to fund police and fire, we need to approved a separate bill. That's how they roll here in the Northwest.

The fingers said:
Quote from last line of article: "The city has yet to find a way to come up with the money to pay for the master bike plan."
Great idea unless they make a tax or toll on bikes to pay for it (alluded to in reader comments).

Hopefully they don't rely on ticket money like LA does to survive. Decreased parking and car infrastructure might hurt their bottom line. But as city, I think they should ultimately be concerned with the welfare of their people and not just revenue. So good for them!

teslanv said:
WA-bike_zpsf1ed1f87.jpg

Sounds about right. Except the Ratio of bikes to cars is surprisingly small. Lots of bike lanes and not too many bikes. Great for cyclists.
Local governments are promoting the bike to work concept, and putting lots of funds toward the infrastructure, cause they know that traffic is horrible, but I think weather keeps a lot of potential cyclists in the cars.

My main reason for an ebike is because of how bad it is here in Spokane! I've been run off the road several times for no reason, a couple graze and runs, hits, even had cars change lanes ahead of me, then stop and get out and yell at me... while THEY obstruct traffic. Ridiculous. All in the span of only about 1200 miles! It makes commuting really stressful. Of course people still yell at me now but then I'm GONE. :) and they give me way more room on a recumbent trike.

xenodius said:
teslanv said:
WA-bike_zpsf1ed1f87.jpg

My main reason for an ebike is because of how bad it is here in Spokane! I've been run off the road several times for no reason, a couple graze and runs, hits, even had cars change lanes ahead of me, then stop and get out and yell at me... while THEY obstruct traffic. Ridiculous. All in the span of only about 1200 miles! It makes commuting really stressful. Of course people still yell at me now but then I'm GONE. :) and they give me way more room on a recumbent trike.
Its amazing how a Mountain range can divide a state not only geographically, but politically as well. We are just a bunch of tree-huggung, pot-smoking, bike-loving liberals on this side.

Doesn't sound good, lot of fatalities, but got me interested.
So here is some 2011 national statistics:

http://www.pedbikeinfo.org/data/factsheet_crash.cfm
http://www.dst.dk/pukora/epub/Nyt/2013/NR386.pdf

In simple form USA has 1 bicycle rider killed per 443,000 capita (677/year)
and bicycles has 1% of all transport trips (to job, shopping...).

In comparison Denmark has 1 bicycle rider killed per 183,000 capita (30/year)
And bicycles has 17% of all transport trips. (3,4% of all kilometres)

25% of bicycle fatalities in Denmark are from trucks turning right and not seeing the bicycle because of the blind spot/angel. I don't see any of these accidents in this thread, why not? is it not happening that often?

/Philip

Arvicola Terrestris said:
Doesn't sound good, lot of fatalities, but got me interested.
So here is some 2011 national statistics:

http://www.pedbikeinfo.org/data/factsheet_crash.cfm
http://www.dst.dk/pukora/epub/Nyt/2013/NR386.pdf

In simple form USA has 1 bicycle rider killed per 443,000 capita (677/year)
and bicycles has 1% of all transport trips (to job, shopping...).

In comparison Denmark has 1 bicycle rider killed per 183,000 capita (30/year)
And bicycles has 17% of all transport trips. (3,4% of all kilometres)

25% of bicycle fatalities in Denmark are from trucks turning right and not seeing the bicycle because of the blind spot/angel. I don't see any of these accidents in this thread, why not? is it not happening that often?

/Philip

No, just too many hit-and-runs where the real story is not reported by the scene investigator.

Back