Bionx 37V motor with 24V battery?

Erikt

1 mW
I bought a Bionx 250 HT motor from Ebay.de only to find out too late, that it was a I2C protocol version. I didn't think Bionx still used that protocol when they introduced the 250 HT, so I didn't ask the seller about the protocol before buying. Anyway, a potential buyer has turned up, who would like to replace his Bionx I2C 24V motor. Would that be possible? I've read that you can use 48V (as an upgrade) with the CanBus PL 250 HT, but not the other way round, i.e. use 36V with the SL motor version.
Can anyone clarify whether I can pass this on as a 24V motor replacement? If not, that's quite sad, because it means I would have very few potential buyers, i.e. only the ones who bought their kit after the 37V upgrade was introduced, but before the switch to CanBus in early 2009.
Bionx doesn't seem very keen on returning my questions, so I turn to you experts in here.

Erik

BTW: I'm in Denmark and the potential buyer is in the south of Germany, so trying before buying is not an option.

I'm not an expert on the bionx system specifically but it should be fine, only resulting in top speed reduced by about 33%, right? He may have to get fancy with connectors though if they changed connector configuration.

Hello,

Do you still have the I2C motor to sell? I have the old (2008 year ) I2C controller version, and broken motor,
so I would need to buy new.

Jouko

I certainly do. But if your battery and controller are from 2008, wouldnt they be made for ~26V?

Yes, they are 26V, so with a 37V motor the power would drop to half, and there would be half kilo
more weight in the motor, so not very good replacement. However, I have opened the old motor
and checked that the electronics board is defective, but the strain sensor ok, so one possibility
would be to swap the board from the new motor to the old one. I have also bought some more
Li Ion cells, so could also be possible to increase the voltage. However, I have not checked
how much the charger voltage trimmers can increase the charging voltage.
Depends on how much you would ask of the motor, if the effort is worth trying.

I would be willing to sell it for 100 euro plus shipping. I would be happy if someone can get some use of it. However, I would be reluctant to try out such advanced experiments with bionx, as there's aboslutely no support from the manufactorer/distributer if something doesn't work out. I have a dysfunctional battery that I contacted them about, and as soon as they understood it had been uponed up (I checked the fuse inside) they stopped responding. Our danish Bionx dealer also complains quite a bit about their whole plug and pray approach. But well, if you have already managed to open up the motor you might seem to know your way around with these things. The motor weights in at 4,6 / 4,7 on my luggage scale. Provided I can keep it under 5 kg with box/wrapping, shipping will be 37 euro with Postdanmark.

regards
Erik

I can try and plug it on, so please send your bank account number.
My e-mail is: jouko.viitanen@wire.fi

And shipping address:

Jouko Viitanen
Lindforsinkatu 19A26
33720 Tampere,
Finland

Back