Bit of a clunk from my Bafang

TheSlogger

1 mW
So my Bafang SWXK has developed a "clunk" as it turns, there's no resistance as it spins power on or not. A couple years ago I had an incident of "spinout" when my bolts loosened and my wires got half ripped out. Removing the cap to fix them didn't expose much of the interior and I sealed it all up after but is it possible water has gotten in and washed the grease off the planetary gears?

The gears don't need any grease because they're not metal, so that's not the problem. It's more likely something to do with the clutch if it does it every time the motor engages.

Yep, likely clutch noise. One thing to keep in mind with any geared hub motor - the outer assembly resonates like a bell. The flange housing is produced and shaped much a like a bell and suspended with taut spokes. It doesn't take much clutch slip to sound as if a grenade's going off inside.

So if it's a clutch problem would it still clunk if it's spinning freewheel with no power engaged? Just want to know the damned thing isn't going to lock up and throw me for a loop.

I've had clutches jammed up by some springs supposed to help the rollers into the clutch ramp. When the clutch locks-up all it does is spin the motor. But that also didn't produce much noise so if you're hearing stuff from the motor when it should be freewheeling, it might be time for a look inside?

For reference this is what a small Bafang clutch looks like when it's opened up (after drilling out the fasteners).

Bafang_clutch.jpg

And here is where you can get a new one;

http://www.greenbikekit.com/accessories/bafang-8fun-spare-parts/bafang-bldc-hub-motor-clutches.html

-R

Back