BOSS LEVEL CUSTOM SPOT WELDER

Not very sure as nothing is really noticeable or any tell tale scorching but as mentioned a wee magic smoke seemed to appear from behind the lcd display. I did remove the Perspex cover and gently bent the screen over to have a look. The only thing of notice under a magnifying glass was what might have been a tiny solid state resistor or something that may be missing or damaged , the PCB line is marked D1 which I guess is for the display line.

Busy tomorrow but will see if I can post a pic on Thursday.

I now have no welder so returning to Korea anf for repair may cost half the price of what I paid so have bit the bullet and ordered a Malectric model, though will probably try and get it repaired.
I couldn't find a contact mail for Aulakiria so a link would be useful.

Two pics, reverse of lcd display.
D1 looks like it may have blown to me compared with other components ?

DSCF0931.JPG

DSCF0929.JPG

Does any one know the component name and whether it is a 472 like the others next to it ?
For me it is too nano tech for me to even replace if the component is damaged , though possibilty of swapping out for a complete lcd dispaly might be possible.

I don't know if Aulakiria views this thread but may he would know if this is faulty.

izeman said:
hemo said:
Does any one know the component name and whether it is a 472 like the others next to it ?
To me they look like DIODES. And not damaged at all.

Yes, that's a diode and you should be able to test it with an ohmmeter in diode check mode.

Aulakiria/Lee says that as the Boss doesn't even turn on then the Arduino needs replacing and three options.
I expect option 1 or 2 might be the one I may opt for though need to have another look at the Boss first.

1.I replace the Arduino and he will send firmware to upload.
2. Buy a new upper pcb with arduino about $30 and solder the six pins.
3. More expensive to send the Boss for repair cost proabablt $40-50 but also may be clobbered by duty ?

Right guys and girls (if there are any) has any one got a reliable Aliexp seller/link for 0.15 x 25mm pure nickel that they have bought and can confirm to be pure ?

Good to know Rojitor as so many sellers list nickel as nickel plate strip in the description then in the specs list as 99.96% pure so is contradicting and possibly a gamble when buying.

That ain't that bad ... I hate when they list as pure, voters say it's pure but you find out it's plated.

Well I have now ordered 5m roll of 0.15 x 25mm 99.96% nickel, I will have to test it as I do with other nickels to see if it is pure. If not I will have to open up a complaint via Aliexpress but am hopeful it is the real M'coy.

Following on after contacting Aulakiria I found two solid state components blown on the Arduino.
Might be step to far for me to desolder a new Arduino also I have not yet found one that matche's having the same pin outs, sowill ask Lee to post a new complete upper board with firmware programmed then only need to desolder six legs to fix the new board.

Two blown components marked with Red mark..

Just the screen? Then the rest of the device is still ok. You can't weld blindfolded though.
Is he sending the shield to you?

Lee is/will be posting a complete upper pcb board with Arduino and LED all connected price is $30 inc p&p, the base heat sink needs removing to de-solder the six solder legs. As the LED is affected and doesn't switch on the welder will not work, the clear shield is removeable so will simply just reuse it.

rojitor said:
That ain't that bad ... I hate when they list as pure, voters say it's pure but you find out it's plated.
I always open a dispute in that case, and always got my money back. Then i stopped ordering nickel from Aliexpress and order from nkon.nl again, now that he has the 25mm wide strips on stock again.

Waiting for my upper pcb Arduino board to be released by the Post Office as I got caught for £3.82 duty & a £8 handling fee, now paid so should be delivered early next week. Some you win some you loose, originally the Boss got through with no duty attached as does 99.9% of most stuff via China.

Yes got caught this time just have to blame it on Brexit.

In the UK with some countries we are guaranteed to get caught with duty, USA, India are two and Korea is hit and miss.
My Boss got thru 2 years ago but another chap who ordered at the same time got caught

That mini Spot A looks incredible do you have one to try out Rojitor ?

Arduino PCB board arrived this morning VAT was added to the purchase along with handling fee for items over £15, most likely as Lee had valued the package as $25.
Hopefully find time this week to swap over.

Strange that all the bits I buy from China via AliExpress get through without any extra charge but do wonder if they come from a EU distibution warehouse.

Ah! No problem rojitor. Since it is a completely new product, it might be hard for people who are interested in it to find it again, when they want to come back to ES to read about any new information.

I think a lot of people will be interested in this, and it is different enough compared to the Boss spot-welder, I think it deserves it's own thread.

Back