Calculating calories

mythprod

10 W
Hi guys, I'm sure this has been talked about but my search wasn't yielding what I was after so a link or something would be great if we already have a thread on here. Otherwise I'm looking for a good way to accurately measure the amount of calories I burn to and from work on my e-bike. I have a chest strap android bluetooth device that I'm using with my android and Endomondo and MyFitnessPal.com apps. The wife and I are doing the whole counting calories thing this year and if we work out we're allocated some more calories for munchies (we're given x calories per day but if we work out we get some more). I'm just contemplating the most accurate way to tell how many calories I'm actually burning on the ebike. I guess if my bluetooth strap (Zephyr HxM) calculates the amount of calories burned strictly from my heart rate then maybe that's accurate enough for those of us who ebike? I'm new to the whole thing and suspect that the calories burned will be off if I set my workout (in Endomondo) to cycling and then go as far and fast as I do on the bike to and from work. I know I don't burn near the calories I would if I pedaled without the motor, but I'm still doing a pretty good workout with the motor.

Any of you come up with a good & accurate way of calculating calories burned on the ebike?

Sounds like you have it already to me. Heart rate based will measure your output good as anything less than a full blown bottom bracket watt counter. Those are used by racers, to see what their real world watts put into the crank are, and you could count your calories from that. It's an expensive tool, so just use what you have.

If you want to lose weight riding an ebike, do these two things.

1 Pedal hard. Set your speed with a throttle, then pedal as hard as you would on any regular bike. In general, look to increase your speed by at least 2 mph. If you have a wattmeter, look for more than 100w less power to show on the meter. Pedal as hard as you can sustain for the long ride. The ebike is just for making it more fun, more fast, and longer distance. Don't let it make it easier, except on the steep hills. The idea is to hit a good heart rate you like, and keep it up for the whole ride. The motor will help you not over rev your heart rate on the hills, but do not let it do too much work on the flat.

2 Take the long way. Particularly in the morning. You want to do that heart rate you like for at least 45 min to an hour in the AM. Get that blood going in the AM, and you will burn more calories all day while staring at a computer. I found that for doing hard physical work, the hour in the AM helped me have more strength and energy all morning. I arrived revved up and raring to go, instead of sluggish like when I drove to work. It took the full 50 min to get there to full energy, a 20 min ride did not cut it. You'd think the hour workout would tire me, but not at all. In the PM, the workout was longer and harder on my uphill ride home. I often found I got home feeling much better than when I left work.

An easy solution would be to use a Cycle Analyst V3 with either a Thun or TDCM BB torque sensor (Thun is more accurate). The V3 has a 'Human Wh' display which would give you what you need. (1Whr = 860 calories -- you are interested in 'C'alories which are equal to a thousand 'c'alories = kilocalorie).

This would be an expensive option, but if you are thinking about monitoring power or adding PAS, this would get the whole package. Also, setting up the PAS with an 'assist shortfall' is a good means to flog yourself into extra output - just rig it up with fully adjustable assist so you can easily tweak in the assist to an effective and comfortable level. I find this is a useful means to stretch the range on a battery - you just make do with the assist the bike gives you instead of sneaking the throttle up....

Without a cycle analyst, I can judge the total energy used by the amount needed to recharge batteries. So ride without pedaling first, and compare the energy used when you are pedaling. The difference is your energy output. You must keep the speed the same.

mythprod said:
Hi guys.... Otherwise I'm looking for a good way to accurately measure the amount of calories I burn to and from work on my e-bike. I have a chest strap android bluetooth device that I'm using with my android and Endomondo and MyFitnessPal.com apps. The wife and I are doing the whole counting calories thing this year and if(we're given x calories per day but if we work out we get some more). I'm just contemplating the most accurate way to tell how many calories I'm actually burning on the ebike......

With all due respect;
You are about to begin another bogus diet fad that will likely fail in less than a month. :(
That plan is a "carrot on a stick" method that's prone to failure... "we work out we're allocated some more calories for munchies "

IMHO, STOP the useless munchies. Stay on as strict and pleasant of a caloric diet as you (and your wife) can reasonably attain (don't worry so much about accurate counting of calories, they will always be a best guess estimates).
The goal is to hit the goal as much as possible each day , every day.

Keep It Simple ---- Target a calorie goal, and ANY cardio/aerobic exercise for about 20(+) minutes a day will be great.
Best quantified measuring you can give yourself is to set a target heart rate(s) per your time spent on your e-bike.
It is voodoo b******t trying to count calories on your e-bike ride just so you can give you (and your wife) useless munchie "treats".
Calorie counters on exercise machines are a cruel joke.

FeralDog is right. The exercise helps with muscle tone and aerobic fitness, but to lose weight you need to reduce calorie intake. You could use a counter for that but input food quantity and type. Then you will notice a gradual weight decrease. You should aim for about 1/2 to 1 lb per week. Fasting occasionally helps but don't go for more than a day or you will be ravenous and eat twice as many calories the next day. At least that has been my experience.
otherDoc

Back