Ch00paKabrA Giant DH Comp - Finally Done!

MAGICPIE3FOCUSPOWER said:
Yeah man glad you kept this nice build.
How is she handling now? much better?
Also your torque arm is still in perfect condition?

pulling the handlebars closer to me and the seat a bit further forward resulted in a more upright riding position that made all the difference in the world.

The dropouts are a total of 1/2" steel and I use 3 generic type torque arms on the inside of the steel dropouts as spacers that allow me to center the wheel in the rear swing arm. 2 on one side and on on the other. That is a total of almost an inch of steel to hold a MAC; so no regen. The motor isn't going anywhere. :lol:

The high rise bars, tall seat post etc. seem to working and a regular visit to the chiropractor is also a bonus I believe.

I can't express how pleased I am with the bike. First and foremost, it is an ebike not an emotorcycle. I still have to pedal to get it really going but it does have a nice top speed if I am in an situation where I need it (which is rarely) It is just a blast to ride.

I am very happy with everything; the motor, the controller, the front and rear suspension. As you can tell, I am still excited about owning this bike.

Over the past few months, I have been researching how to make the 2 controllers work with one throttle and I have not come up with a viable solution so I will probably just use 2 throttles. I broke down and ordered a matching half twist left hand throttle. this means for aesthetics, I won't be using the magura throttle that I bought for it. I guess I'll put that up in the for sale section and see if anyone is interested.

It is still snow but I may take it out again today.

I still have to pedal to get it really going but it does have a nice top speed if I am in an situation where I need it (which is rarely) It is just a blast to ride.

The spirit of the pedal ebike. Yah, I can appreciate a 10+kw monster, but this is really what ebikes are all about to me. Something that is both pedal-able and has a motor. I am planning on something similar later this year.

Yah, that's some wet snow there. Bike looks pretty quick running that code 6t. Kind of surprised actually. When you get fwd going, it will be quick for sure.

+1 for MACs in moto wheels! :D
Looking good there. Not sure if I'd be out in on two wheels in that kind of snow, though, even on 30%. I'd be laying down in a heartbeat.

Ch00paKabrA said:
received the metal gears from the other day. They look good. I'm not going to install them until I get the new clutch - no need to waste time uninstalling and reinstalling twice.

the sales thread stated you only need one but after the mishap with the casings, I think it is a good idea to have a spare.

Nothing is really going on until I get the casings for the motor but I am considering a 2wd Bafang BPMII instead of the MAC. One of the dual crown forks that I have is not a "thru axle" type so it will accommodate it. Still thinking about it. This was my initial plan but when I got the fast wind MAC, I modified it.

Where did you buy these gears at? I got a MAC 10 that I plan on hot rodding and oil cooling and want make it reliable. This would help.

Ch00paKabrA said:
At the iconic Stone Pony:

There are still some minor things to do like painting the forks and some deraileur adjustments but it is good to have an ebike again.

AHH the Stone Pony!!! I can't believe you ride by there, I used to DJ there. Hopefully we'll be riding soon when the whether clears up, real good feeling knowing that someone shares the passion nearby...

If you don't mind me asking, where did you and your friend go to ride those trails at the park? Those are the types of trails that I need!!! Not to bumpy - I'm used to riding at the Jungle Habitat or Mountain Creek type places, and I'd rather just have some nice long open trails for my offroad ebike riding

By the way - started my new build thread finally! Not much progress yet but just wait! http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=67286

hey slikk,

Those trails are the easy double track at shark river park in my hometown of Neptune. They are sick fun in the snow too. I forgot my camera last time. We are not really supposed to ride motorized there so I am going to do a real simple, low power set up that is seriously incognito. I had one but sold it to my brother.

Shark river has a nice loop about a mile and a half that is off the beaten path and almost no one goes on it because the entrance is covered with thorny bushes. I thought about cutting the thorns but figured it would encourage too many hikers to frequent the trail.

PM me when you want to meet up there. Its a blast.

Allaire is fun too but there are a lot of snobs there and they will call the rangers if they see you are on an ebike. best time at allaire in at dusk and dawn.

I go to Mountain Creek as well but not electric. I ride my Stinky or King Fisher there. It is a bit of a bitch because I don't drive any more so I have to take a train (with bike in travel case) to NYC, then the subway to the bus terminal on 34th and there is a bus that goes to Mountain Creek. Takes 4 1/2 hours to get there but you can sleep on the train and the bus there and back so it isn't all that big of a deal.

This evening, I picked up an EM3EV kit from member Mudduck. I haven't had a chance to work it all out yet but it was a heck of a deal: MAC 7t upgraded with dual phase wires, halls and thermister installed, Infineon 3077 12 fet controller, ebrake levers, 42v LiFePO4 battery with charger for $250.00 Cash. Not many members here in NJ and I believe I was lucky to get it. Hopefully it is all good. The battery may be on its last legs but I don't run that type of battery anyway.

As long as it tests out OK, I believe I will swap out the 6T for the 7T. I will lose a few MPH but I can probably throw a few more amps at it with the double phase wires.

Additionally, yesterday, I picked up a 2' x 4' sheet of 1/2 marine board and my neighbor has aggreed to help me make 2 battery boxes of the same dimensions. on that will be 2.75" thick for a single 14s 7p battery and one that is 5.57" wide for a 2 14s 7p batteries run parallel this will give me 14s 14p. the cells are 2.8ah so the total will be just shy of 40ah.

The big decision that I will need to make is that with the moto wheels, this will most likely put me over 100 pounds so I may need to go back 24 x 3.00 bicycle tires. Not really what I want but the weight is getting up there.

Ch00paKabrA said:
This evening, I picked up an EM3EV kit from member Mudduck. I haven't had a chance to work it all out yet but it was a heck of a deal: MAC 7t upgraded with dual phase wires, halls and thermister installed, Infineon 3077 12 fet controller, ebrake levers, 42v LiFePO4 battery with charger for $250.00 Cash. Not many members here in NJ and I believe I was lucky to get it. Hopefully it is all good. The battery may be on its last legs but I don't run that type of battery anyway.

As long as it tests out OK, I believe I will swap out the 6T for the 7T. I will lose a few MPH but I can probably throw a few more amps at it with the double phase wires.

Additionally, yesterday, I picked up a 2' x 4' sheet of 1/2 marine board and my neighbor has aggreed to help me make 2 battery boxes of the same dimensions. on that will be 2.75" thick for a single 14s 7p battery and one that is 5.57" wide for a 2 14s 7p batteries run parallel this will give me 14s 14p. the cells are 2.8ah so the total will be just shy of 40ah.

The big decision that I will need to make is that with the moto wheels, this will most likely put me over 100 pounds so I may need to go back 24 x 3.00 bicycle tires. Not really what I want but the weight is getting up there.

First off, that's a good deal you got rom Mudduck. 2nd, if you have an ebike that's already 90 pounds, whats another 10 pounds for motor wheels? Not much, but I understand if performance is the goal and weight is second.

I hear ya Rix. I kind of wanted to stay under 100 pounds because of "legality but since I am running alost 2000w it probably doesn't make a difference.

I went to program the controller I got from Madduck and for some reason my xpd is stating that I don't have the proper drivers. I had programmed my 12 fet 4110 Infineon controller in the past with no problems but now, when I try to program the 3077, it is hanging me up asking for drivers.

Edit: I remembered that since I programmed my controller last, I had to do a full restore. It was interesting because I installed the drivers listed in the XPD thread and it still did not work. I restarted the computer and still no good. I also remembered that I needed to install the k-light codec pack for videos. Interestingly, even though this should have had nothing to do with the drivers for XPD; it now works. I am not even going to try to wrap my head around that one.

The issue that I am having is that there is something wrong and I can not get the 7T kit to work. I have a feeling it may be the battery bms. I spent the evening "re-connectoring" (is that a word) so that the 3077 matches the 4110 controller and the 7T and 6T have the same connectors.

After it is finished it should be a simple matter of swapping around the parts to see where the weak link is.

Back