controller power for light kit

My apologies, it was not meant to be. We get a fair number of complete newbies here that assume things work a certain way without checking anything, and then are upset (sometimes at us) when things blow up even after they just keep telling us they "guess" that things work that way. Your responses suggested this was another case of that, so I spoke "sternly" trying to show what could happen by doing this, to help prevent you from damaging your parts and wasting your time/money or worse. I could probably have worded it better.
Well as you can see I checked everything and found a lot of information on my own that supported my "guess". Others here have pointed me in the right direction and provided some good information without being demeaning. Go back and read your second message to me and if you don't think that is demeaning, then there is no hope for you. You have no right to speak 'sternly' to anyone on here. "Show what could happen", are you kidding me? We all know what could happen, THAT'S WHY WE COME TO SITES LIKE THIS. Your apology, conditioned on an explanation, is no apology at all.

I would like to thank everyone for their help. I'm up and running and didn't short anything out. Got the original tail light working and all is good. I will keep the tail light I ordered as a back up. Pictures of the trike, still need to make some brackets but for now zip ties will do. Used the controller housing I bought for housing all the wires, as it was not big enough for the controller and wires. My wife tested it and she is all smiles. Again, thanks for all the help.

Attachments

• E-trike 1.jpg
    E-trike 1.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
  • E-trike 2.jpg
    E-trike 2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 11
You are right. I have been doing this too long, and have begun making unwarranted assumptions in arrogance.

I am in a stressful time but it isn't an excuse, so I'm going to step away from here for a while, and see if I can change myself.

You are right. I have been doing this too long, and have begun making unwarranted assumptions in arrogance.

I am in a stressful time but it isn't an excuse, so I'm going to step away from here for a while, and see if I can change myself.
There is hope for you, my heart is overwhelmed. God bless you my friend.

There’s the reward! I bet that smile is as bright as those shiny fenders.
I bought this trike for her about 3 years ago. It had bad tires no fenders and a seat no one wanted to sit on for long. I only paid $100 for the trike so may as well fix it up. Ordered a seat that she likes, tires (she wanted whitewalls) Then I found the fenders on Amazon but could only find chrome, but she said who would want anything else, good point. She had an accident on some stairs and broke her neck, now in a neck brace and I thought, maybe turn the trike into an e-trike. Her recovery is going well and will be out for trail rides soon. And yes I love to see her smile. We are looking to enjoy Happy Trails together.

I have to chime in on this. I hope you are able to take the time to relax, but not to change yourself.
We all have our moments, but they shouldn’t be what define us, and certainly you are the model we’d all like to strive to be like when it come to supporting this forum. There’s a reason you have, by far, the highest number of (helpful) postings of anyone on this forum, the most solutions, and the most positive reactions on the members page. Many folks fail to recognize that the reason your posts are so thorough is that you don’t only address the OP’s issues, but are creating a stand-alone reference for anyone who happens to read the thread, even years later, with a similar issue. Most of us don’t have that sort of patience, or dedication to invest that amount of effort. If anyone deserves a break, in more ways than one, it’s you, so hopefully you come back unchanged, but refreshed.

I couldn't agree with E-HP more. Both neptronix and myself have noticed your absence and were worried about you. Glad to see you taking a break. I hope it's not for too long though. This forum really depends on you.

Wish I had seen this thread sooner...

Nick

I don't see anything demeaning in AW's post, instead I think the OP is lacking context.

You may not think it but when people try to help others a certain degree of responsibility comes with that. Wiring errors causing overheating can be trivial provided they show up on the bench, but the threshold temperature for thermal runaway of batteries is surprisingly low, and unnoticed 'minor' overheating occurring when tucked away neatly inside a battery bag can have serious consequences.

So if it's apparent that someone is "not too good when it comes to electrical things" (which was clear from the start) there comes a point when trying to persuade them to change course is the right thing to do, even though it's not always easy nor welcome.
"Show what could happen", are you kidding me? We all know what could happen, THAT'S WHY WE COME TO SITES LIKE THIS.
Outbursts like this can be blatantly ridiculous yet sadly the harm they do isn't so readily reversible. You can't assume everyone knows what could happen, try this thread for example:

If a fire starts it is easy to carry it outside

Last edited:
getting ready to use the voltmeter now on the red/black wires coming form the controller I will check the specs on the light kit. I'm guessing the voltage should be low for the light kit, like 5v or less. The power connector from the light kit is yellow/black and I don't know which is + or -.

Your BS started in your second post, if you knew how to use a voltmeter you wouldn't have had to start this thread.

Like Nicobie, I also wish i saw this thread sooner. I don't understand how amberwolf's message was demeaning. But i don't want to argue over that specific point.

I'm the person in charge here and it is my job to ensure our volunteer staff has an easy time doing what brings them joy: helping people.

Given that amberwolf is basically the king of helping new people on this forum.. not only does the leadership but also the members take massive offense to seeing anyone scuffle with him.

Please do me a favor and treat amberwolf very kindly in the future.

Last edited:
I have to chime in on this. I hope you are able to take the time to relax, but not to change yourself.
We all have our moments, but they shouldn’t be what define us, and certainly you are the model we’d all like to strive to be like when it come to supporting this forum. There’s a reason you have, by far, the highest number of (helpful) postings of anyone on this forum, the most solutions, and the most positive reactions on the members page. Many folks fail to recognize that the reason your posts are so thorough is that you don’t only address the OP’s issues, but are creating a stand-alone reference for anyone who happens to read the thread, even years later, with a similar issue. Most of us don’t have that sort of patience, or dedication to invest that amount of effort. If anyone deserves a break, in more ways than one, it’s you, so hopefully you come back unchanged, but refreshed.
After reading the post above. Hit the Like Button. This is the first time I hit the Like Button.

Love you Amberwolf!

Back