Correct wire for soldering cells

barbs00

100 W
Hi All,

I am going to attempt to make my first battery pack and cannot bring myself to buy a spot welder so have decided to solder this pack.
Going to be a 52v 14S4P pack using samsung 35E cells or something similar and is going to power a BBS02.

My question is regarding which kind of wire I should use to solder the onto the cells. Which AWG, Nickel plated, solid or strands?

I see some people using copper busbars and quite thin wire but am not sure of the advantage of this?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I used soldering wick wire... it's basically pure copper stranded wire in a braid that is flat and incredibly easy to solder. It sucks up the solder from the tinned cells and makes for a very clean finish. I used goot 3.5mm wire. I needed like 4 rolls of the stuff on my 13s7p battery but my battery is also a big one so you might not need as much. Best part is its dirt cheap too!

Weird but probably you can get solder wick cheaper and better quality in your local radio shack instead of China. At least in my country.

You can also take old RF cables (like those used to hook old VCRs to old TVs) and strip the braided outer shield off, flatten it, and use it for interconnects.

Any other shielded cable works too, but there's lots of that kind of cable around in people's junk boxes/closets as it isn't really used mcuh anymore (except for cable modem-to-wall connections).

barbs00 said:
Thanks for the replies.

Is it worth using tinned copper for an while batterg?

Also, what thickness is appropriate?

Search for kepler battery post. All you need and pictures there.

find an AWG ampacity chart somewhere and pick a solid copper wire

solder using this sub-1second method:

[youtube]0ZRwMXL-Rvs[/youtube]

here i used thicker copper for the high-current 25R:

bOy0dsr.jpg

The can is all neg the button is pos don't short the two. If the top pos or pos wire touches can that's a short. These batteries have a lot of potential stored energy be careful. Makes fire.
How about. https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=87434
Good for med ampage pack.

Goot Wick solders MUCH faster than copper wire. Heat is the enemy.

barbs00 said:
Thanks guys.

What kind of soldering Iron is that. The tip looks flat??

Nice job on the 25r pack. The soldering looks very neat. How did you bend the copper so neatly?

it's a 100w w/ a cavity on the tip to hold a bit of solder. so you have pre-heated solder that gets applied quickly to the pre-fluxed joint

but i don't do that anymore because spot welding is easier. no one's happy w/ just one ebike so i'm pretty sure you'll be building more. so buy a spot welder now. look for arduino spot welder

Overclocker said:
really? show me someone soldering braid for less than a second w/ totally consistent results

i've tried braid, the solder flows quite unpredictably

It's all in technique. John did it, I followed his instruction and did it. But found ALL solder techniques inferior to welding. Making your comments superfluous.

barbs00 said:
Thanks - I may get one soon. Not sure yet

Get a welder and a good iron.
TS100 Digital OLED Programable Interface DC5525 Soldering Iron Station Built-in STM32 Chip

tomjasz said:
Overclocker said:
really? show me someone soldering braid for less than a second w/ totally consistent results

i've tried braid, the solder flows quite unpredictably

It's all in technique. John did it, I followed his instruction and did it. But found ALL solder techniques inferior to welding. Making your comments superfluous.

2lvnymw.jpg

this? less than 1 second? get out of here

you seriously think this is a better technique :roll:

I think its better than big ass copper wires, but all a piss in the wind compared to my JP welder and newest v2 arduino welder. I think ALL soldered packs are a waste of good materials.

Punx0r said:
That soldered pack above has a worrying lack of electrical insulation...
He went back and corrected. This was an unfortunate choice of photos...
But not intentinal I'm sure.

Hi All,

Excuse my ignorance but what is a JP welder? - have just done a quick search and can't find one.

The arduino welder looks interesting - anyone know of a good source where one can be purchased made up or perhaps a kit with all the bit needed?

Edit - never mind I found it https://malectrics.eu

Back