Currie-EZip ebike Kit $289.88 - Amazon.com

jk1 said:
What is the difference between the 200w and 450 currie ezip bikes ? i have a 200w version and am wondering what is needed to make it 450w ? do i need the new xyd16 motor , is the controller the same or do i also need to upgrade that ?
Everything, except for the motor, is likely to be identical.
Just swap the motor.
Will work fine ... but ...
Check the controller, if labeled as 30-35A rated then all set.
If 20-25A, or less, then you will benefit from a larger controller.
450w motor supplies 225% the torque of the 200w motor.

Recommend:
eZip-iZip 20mph upgrade $20

DrkAngel said:
jk1 said:
What is the difference between the 200w and 450 currie ezip bikes ? i have a 200w version and am wondering what is needed to make it 450w ? do i need the new xyd16 motor , is the controller the same or do i also need to upgrade that ?
Everything, except for the motor, is likely to be identical.
Just swap the motor.
Will work fine ... but ...
Check the controller, if labeled as 30-35A rated then all set.
If 20-25A, or less, then you will benefit from a larger controller.
450w motor supplies 225% the torque of the 200w motor.

Recommend:
eZip-iZip 20mph upgrade $20

If he is running a stock lead pack the old controller should be fine with the 450w motor because a single 10ah SLA isn't going to give more then 25a anyway.

Bob

These Currie "Kits" reputedly come with a good quality iZip alloy rear hub.
Much better than the eZip steel rear hub!

Price Tracking

You know what I think is kind of odd is according to the posted specs on the different sellers' websites, the 450W motor has a slower stock RPM than the 250W motor. I'm on an Ezip Skyline which is similar to the kit but it comes with the 250W motor at 24V. The newer Currie controllers won't let you run higher than the 24V; I've tried it didn't work. I ended up buying a new 36V controller and throttle and I already had a 36V 15A sla pack from another bike. I did the south paw mod as well. Even with the sla my top speed was about 35mph. I've since upgraded to a 36V 20A lithium ion pack. I'd say my bike only weighs about 40 lbs now. I'm 6'3" and weigh about 350 lbs and I get up pretty steep hills with no problem. I have to pedal with the motor and only get about 10mph uphill but that's fine for me. I can just throttle up the hill but it eats up too much power; I had to do this when my chain fell off one time. I use it to go grocery shopping with an attached bike trailer and have plenty of power even fully loaded with groceries. I bought separately and installed the switch that comes with the currie kit so I don't have to unplug my battery during charging and if I ever get a second battery I'm all set. My bike is no longer a pas/tag bike, I'm too strong for the pas feature and it was more annoying than useful. I installed and I believe it's a 58 tooth set of road bike cranks so I can keep up with the motor for better efficiency and range. Other than steep hills and intersections, it feels like I'm riding downhill all over town. I recently had to go back to the stock 20 tooth freewheel because the 16 tooth torqued apart. This last sentence was in response to the people on this thread saying that these motors are weak. My freewheel fell apart but my motor is just fine. I did this set up for my roommate who has the currie kit with the 450W motor and because of the lower stock rpm of his motor, his bike is slower than mine with the 16 tooth freewheel. So I would suggest changing the 450W motor out for the 250W motor. I also have one of the 36V 450W currie motors and even it at 36V is slower and less powerful than the 24V 250W motor. Also a note on sla battery packs. Buy an electronic desulfator for your battery pack they do work. My roommate is using my 36V 15A sla pack, it has been recharged about 500 times and is still performing like new. It's cheaper than lithium and you obviously get more charge cycles out of your batteries. I'm going to stop now because I'm all out of finger breath lol.

Good Info here.

My Currie Trailz is scheduled for delivery this coming friday so I've been trying to find tips for it.

Seems like this is the post to follow.

Will see what it's like to ride on 24 volts and then decide on what will help this bike out.

By the way, hoping to make this bike my daily commuter. So will check it out and then come back here to ask questions.

Thanks in Advance.

Ron

So anybody know if the new bikes from Wally world have the quiet motor? I'm considering buying a few to use as rentals out here in sunny Palm Springs area!

All the new eZips now come with the quieter XYD-16 motor.
Kits and bikes are upgradeable to 20mph, for about $20.

I've had a Currie izip tricycle for over 4 years--loved it for 3. Incrementally during the past 14 months I've replaced all of the motor-related parts, including reinstalling the old motor for the XYD-16B that came with the recall. At this point it's running reasonably well, perhaps almost as well as before its crises, but it's not as predictably reliable and the speed is still slower than 14 months ago.

In reading this blog, I'm realizing you all seem to know more than the Currie techs! That may be a duh statement. I could use some help in upgrading my trike, particularly for speed. I'm in New Mexico and a have been known to throw my trike in the back of my pickup truck when traveling to Texas and California. Anyone hire-able in SoCal, Austin or anywhere in NM?

zippo said:
I've had a Currie izip tricycle for over 4 years--loved it for 3. ... I could use some help in upgrading my trike, particularly for speed. I'm in New Mexico and a have been known to throw my trike in the back of my pickup truck when traveling to Texas and California.
Check - eZip-iZip Regearing for speed

Since your eTrike is in the 2008-2009 age bracket (?), try a higher voltage battery input , some controllers had no HVC (high voltage cutt-off).
If 24V oem try 36V, Lithium batteries offer 25.9V, 29.6V, 33.3V, 37V etc.
If 36V oem try 48V, Lithium batteries offer 40.7V, 44.4V, 48.1V etc.
Every voltage step-up increases speed. And torque!

Sorry ... in the minus column, you will have to monitor-consider increased motor heat production!

Just added to beginning and end of thread, for easy access.

Continuously updated price tracking!

amazon.png

Just dropped below $300!

Back