Cycle Analyst V3 preview and first beta release

Oh sweet, I'm going to try that throttle-off technique instead.

...That's funny, I saw it the other day when I set up the current throttle and was wondering why anyone would want a setting for throttle off - another d'oh - I've been indirectly trying to accomplish that the whole time.

Traditionally I've had a kill switch on my ignition line but since I really only use two positions of that switch it left me a third position for my kill without messing with new inline switches - not as much about theft as it is about idiots doing damage, lol

Thanks a bunch for all the help!! That should solve all my issues for a while

I am using a Mac motor and a throttle that has a 3-position switch on it. The 3-position switch currently changes the amp limit in throttle mode (the V3 can see the switch position rather than the switch simply scales the throttle).

I would like to have this switch change AutoPAS watts to three different settings. Is this possible?

rsilvers said:
... (the V3 can see the switch position rather than the switch simply scales the throttle).

I would like to have this switch change AutoPAS watts to three different settings. Is this possible?
Yes, but I think you need to catch up a bit on what your V3 can do...

The affect of the AuxPot input - whether it is setting fixed limits, scaling the throttle, or controlling PAS - is a matter of configuration. This general purpose adjustment can be driven by a 3-position switch, adjustable pot, or other voltage source. Yours appears to use a 3-speed switch and be configured for Amps Limiting.

Basic configuration options are outlined on the Grin V3 page. More detailed How-To information can be found in the Unofficial V3 User Guide - there are 7 pages dedicated to the AuxPot (three speed switches, adjustable pots, etc) and 10 pages dedicated to various PAS setups and configurations (simple PAS wheel, torque sensor, or PAS wheel with RPM scaling).

I recommend that you review that material and see what features/modes look useful in your situation - any specific questions can then be addressed. My knee-jerk reaction is that you should get an adjustable pot for PAS applications so you can tune the assist level instead of relying on the large adjustment gradations of a 3-position switch. You can wire this yourself or buy one ready-made from Grin. The 3-speed switch will certainly work - it's just sort of like driving a car with only three accelerator positions...

Thanks. I did just set it up yesterday so the features are sinking in. I will read that.

Another question - I set the throttle out volt/sec to 0.75 and that made the throttle very gentle but did not seem to affect the PAS kicking in and surging the bike. Is there a way to make the PAS kick it with more of a ramp instead of a sudden on?

rsilvers said:
Is there a way to make the PAS kick it with more of a ramp instead of a sudden on?
Unofficial User Guide said:
6.Power Limiting: AutoPAS and TorqPAS modes operate by limiting applied power (Watts) much in the same manner as Power Throttle; inspection of the Limit Flags on the Diagnostic screen will show Watts limiting to always be in effect. As a result PLim->WGain is always in play and may be adjusted to mitigate overshoot or smooth power application.

I checked and PLim->WGain was on 50. I tried 20, then 10, then 5.

5 was less jumpy on engagement. I may end up around 3.

I changed Aux->ScaleLim from Max Current to PAS Level.

Now my existing three-position switch changes my PAS watts from 99 to 150 to 200 (I had previously set max to 200).

I am happy with how that works. I am really happy with the CA in general.

I find the CA very easy to configure compared to what I was expecting. I thought it would be so complex that the programming cable would be needed, but that is not the case at all. During my ride I was stopping and changing things with ease.

I did accidentally reset the stats once though because I forgot I was not in a sub-menu. Not sure if I prefer that the way it is, or would like a warning to come up: "RESET STATS?" CANCEL OK

I think if a confirmation dialogue were put in place, I'd then like to see the option to be able to turn it OFF /ON as a user preference.

Confirmation Dialogues are my pet HATE. They drive me crazy on the computer. I use both Mac and Windows. At least in Win many can be switched off.

Yes, an option.

Most things on computers are hard to do by accident. For example, it is annoying to have to confirm to empty the trash on a PC because you would never accidentally right-click on the trash-can and select "Empty Trash" unless you intended to empty the trash.

Also confirmations on things that can be undone are almost pointless.

But on the CA, left-press is "enter menu," right press is "delete all stats" or "select item" depending on what you did previously.

It seems reasonably easy to do by accident if you are messing with the programming a lot (which admittedly I will probably stop doing in a few days and so then it won't be an issue).

Hi guys - I have a CA V3 and I've been using it for several years. Today, suddenly, my LiMn Battery which has been accurately showing up in the battery fuel gauge is showing as empty.

The battery is a 20Ah battery, 13S, LiMn setup for 40V LVC. I don't know what to set the gain at, so I've never messed with that setting.

RBatt on one of the screens shows .109ohms, but I didn't set that.

The battery is fully charged. I tried it with my LifePo4. Same thing, empty gauge.

I somewhat recently updated to the Release 10, but it's been working fine.

Any help would be appreciated!

Rbatt is calculated by the CA itself based on voltage and current readings. It changes by itself as battery is used.

Cant help with it suddenly showing empty though. Only Thoughts are either wiring or possibly firmware doing something weird

NeilP said:
Rbatt is calculated by the CA itself based on voltage and current readings. It changes by itself as battery is used.

Cant help with it suddenly showing empty though. Only Thoughts are either wiring or possibly firmware doing something weird

Thanks for your answer, Neil. I reflashed it and it shows my battery being 'full' now. Maybe I found a bug or maybe I am the problem. :lol:

Any idea why I sometimes get negative values for watt-hours per mile?

It should say 7.5.

IMG_0555.jpg

IMG_0556.jpg

The CA measured my pack at 823 watt hours. I should be able to tell that CA that my pack is 823, and it should display how many more miles I can go at the current Wh per mile.

rsilvers said:
Any idea why I sometimes get negative values for watt-hours per mile?

It should say 7.5.

IMG_0555.jpg

IMG_0556.jpg

Are you running the latest firmware on your CAV3? Upon start-up your CAV3 should display "v3.0p10" or later.

Earlier versions of the firmware had a bug that caused wh/mi to display incorrectly when watt-hours were less than 83.88.

rsilvers said:
I just bought mine and it says 3prlm9.

You need to update your firmware to the latest version to get rid of this bug, or you can refrain from looking at the wh/mi display until you've consumed 83.88 wh. You can download the Setup Utility here:

http://www.ebikes.ca/product-info/cycle-analyst-3.html#software-setup-utility

that will also download the latest firmware from Grin. You'll also need a computer and the programming cable.

http://www.ebikes.ca/shop/ebike-parts/ca-accessories/cables/ca-usb.html

If this is too much trouble to do, you can probably stick with Prelim9 as it was a pretty stable release aside from a few cosmetic display issues.

Hi all, I have a Bafang CST 48v 350w rear hub motor and 11.6Ah LiPo dolphin battery and am getting a Cycle Analyst CA3 and Grinfineon 25A controller so I can pump some more watts in and get a bit better top speed, plus get more information on what the system is doing.

My main question at this stage is do I need the CA3 with the speedometer pickup or will my hub send that signal to the CA3? I'm guessing the hub will do it as it sends it to the stock Bafang display, but I am not 100% sure.

I am likely to have more questions as I start setting it up and using however I have read the instructions and it looks pretty straight forward so I hope to be able to make it work without too much drama. I also have a local contact who has set them up before so that might come in handy.

Scotty T said:
Hi all, I have a Bafang CST 48v 350w rear hub motor... and am getting a Cycle Analyst CA3 and Grinfineon 25A controller...

My main question at this stage is do I need the CA3 with the speedometer pickup or will my hub send that signal to the CA3? I'm guessing the hub will do it as it sends it to the stock Bafang display, but I am not 100% sure.
I have no CST experience but a quick search suggests that it has a white speedo wire on the hall connector (6-pin vs 5-pin). Since you have one in hand, this should be easy to check. I assume this is an extra hall that feeds pulses with wheel (not motor) rotation. If this is true, then you can drive the V3 by disconnecting the standard Grinfineon CA-DP yellow wire (pin 5) at the controller connector and instead hook that pin to the white speedo wire from the hall connector.

That said, if you want to cover your bases, get the CA3-DPS with a wheel pickup. The Guide describes in an Appendix how to convert the DP and DPS models one to the other, so you can try the speedo wire gimmick and if unsuccessful, just switch back to the pickup. Adding a CONBAG of JST connectors to your order may be a good plan if you plan to switch the controller 5-pin hall connector for a 6-pin to match the motor, etc...

If you bought the Grin Conbag of JST's , definetly buy the crimper they sell too.

It is the best crimper and the only real way to crimp them. $29 USD ! Hell best price I could find locally was about $85USD

Great stuff, thanks for the fast answers, I will get the one with the pickup so it can't go wrong. I'll check the existing wiring tonight, if it is a 6 pin I will definitely need to change that connector so will order the bag of connectors and I think a local guy here has a crimper as he has done a few CA installations.

I'm guessing that the ebrake and throttle connectors on the Grinfineon are are not used because throttle and brakes will connect to the CA.

I've got the contact details for the local guy who has lots of experience now so it should be a breeze to connect it all up.

Back