Cyclone mounting plan

geekybiker

10 W
I don't really like the under the BB mount of the cyclone kits, but the normal 3 chain ring kit doesn't look like it'd work either. I have a folder, so everything has to be attached to the back of the bike.

Measuring the area where the rack mounts above the rear v-brake there appears to be enough room to mount the motor there. The issue is running power. I saw they have a double freewheel kit designed for recumbents. This seems like a much more elegant solution on a small bike. I might have to lose the rear v-brake and replace the hub with a IGH with roller brake instead on the rear.

I just wanted to have people take a look and see if this look feasible.
cyclone_dahon.png

Looking through their gallery, I'm not the only one who had this idea.
doubleMTB.jpg

They didn't change the mount location, but the idea of going dual freewheel on the motor apparently works on a standard bike too.

I have 2 bikes with Cyclone 360s mounted in the "normal" way. Honestly it's not a great situation but not all that bad ether. The problem I've had is damage to the frame from the clamping. the Cyclone clamp system is always slipping and everytime I tighten it it crushes the frame tubes. So while your modification maybe better I don't see it as a major improvement to what I see as the biggest problem. the only other issue is the crappy little ldler roller but that could just be improved without a lot of modifications.

Ggoodrum has a Cyclone 1000w mounted on his Dahon Mariner in the location you're planning to use. He's got a long build thread on here somewhere.

I have a Dahon Boardwalk S1 project going on that uses an IGH and cyclone mounted under the BB.
IMGA0287.JPG
IMGA0266.JPG

Kevinator said:
BTW, in case you didn't already know, 20mph on a small folding bike is squirrelly. 25+mph is fun but stressful.

I can imagine. I've pedaled upto about 18-19 downhill and that's plenty exciting on this frame. Extra speed capability is more about getting there quickly than really expecting to be using 25-30mph.

dumbass said:
I have 2 bikes with Cyclone 360s mounted in the "normal" way. Honestly it's not a great situation but not all that bad ether. The problem I've had is damage to the frame from the clamping. the Cyclone clamp system is always slipping and everytime I tighten it it crushes the frame tubes. So while your modification maybe better I don't see it as a major improvement to what I see as the biggest problem. the only other issue is the crappy little ldler roller but that could just be improved without a lot of modifications.

My biggest concern is that with a 20" bike that motor is not far away from any puddles, etc you might accidentally run through. Also I've bonked my seat post going over low curbs enough times while riding with it in the folded position from the train to the car that I know I'd whack the motor pretty easy as well.

26" bike I wouldn't worry. 20" bike I do.

I've done some resin casting, and I'm thinking that when I go to mount this, I'll stick the bottom plate on and pour some 2 part resin in between the frame and hopefully create a nice perfectly formed block that can help take the pressure and also prevent twisting.

geekybiker said:
Looking through their gallery, I'm not the only one who had this idea.
doubleMTB.jpg

They didn't change the mount location, but the idea of going dual freewheel on the motor apparently works on a standard bike too.

My question would be how much drag would there be in this type of setup when in pedal only mode? Wouldn't this require turning the motor too while you pedal?

i have recently build my folding ebike, the posture is better then the MTB 26inch. my 500watts Bb cannot reversed or else the chain will drop off immediately. the top speed is okay for a no suspension bike, 44.5km/h on a 3 sla batteries. look is not bad, still acceptable. when folding bike is running at a high speed, the handles have to to securely tight or else... it wobbles until i have to go slow. Finally i give up, i ask a welder to welder to make them fix securely dead no move. now ... i ride at a speed for 40km/h no problems. ( on a humby road) it is really hard to run faster. folding bike Best stay speed is below 35km/h.

Back