Deecanios first build the "DC1"

flyinmonkie said:
Mitch,

Everything should be rotating in the same direction under power no matter what is powering it. The freewheels are held on by threading on in the same direction the whole thing rotates. Because the outside spins without the inside spinning in the other direction, or vise versa, it will not thread itself off. If you reverse an adapter, I the freewheel will thread itself off when driven, unless you use a left side drive freewheel. But then it won't thread on the adapter. You shouldn't have to flip an adapter over to make it work, unless I'm missing something.

FM

Hi FM,

The sprocket and FW will turn in the same direction but:

• The FW sprocket drives the shaft - which forces the FW around the shaft in a clockwise direction

The shaft drives the Cog - which forces the cog around the shaft in a counter clockwise direction
Its hard to explain more completely than that but its easy to figure out with something like a pencil and a washer and some fiddling.

MitchJi said:
The sprocket and FW will turn in the same direction but:

• The FW sprocket drives the shaft - which forces the FW around the shaft in a clockwise direction

The shaft drives the Cog - which forces the cog around the shaft in a counter clockwise direction
Its hard to explain more completely than that but its easy to figure out with something like a pencil and a washer and some fiddling.

Yup, I see what you are saying. If the shaft turns and the fixed sprocket doesn't, it will thread itself off. All about where the force is initiated. Any way to use a splinned fixed sprocket on the shaft? Or lock the sprocket to a threaded spacer like 2 nuts locked together on a bolt. Just throwing out wild ideas now. Could you use the motor to drive a cassette hub and then either thread a portion of it or make and adapter that a freewheel can thread on that fits on the cassette hub? Ok maybe it's getting late.

Remember, if a freewheel adaptor is used, it can be run shoulder side in or shoulder side out depending on the direction of torque applied. Therefore, if you want a left side drive, the shoulder would go into the gearbox, if right side drive is used, teh freewheel would be threaded onto the adaptor, then the adaptor would be installed on the shaft with the shoulder side out. That way, both setups can be run with no worry about unthreading.

See what I mean?

D,

One thing about your bike, if you want to mount the drive in a tight spot, remember, the drive is only wide (tall?) at the sides due to the diameter of the pulleys and sprockets. However, in the center where the tire is in relation to the drive unit, the drive is much lower profile because all that is located in that region is the framework for the drive, not the pulleys,etc.

Am I making any sence? :mrgreen:

Matt

recumpence said:
Remember, if a freewheel adaptor is used, it can be run shoulder side in or shoulder side out depending on the direction of torque applied. Therefore, if you want a left side drive, the shoulder would go into the gearbox, if right side drive is used, teh freewheel would be threaded onto the adaptor, then the adaptor would be installed on the shaft with the shoulder side out. That way, both setups can be run with no worry about unthreading.

See what I mean?

D,

One thing about your bike, if you want to mount the drive in a tight spot, remember, the drive is only wide (tall?) at the sides due to the diameter of the pulleys and sprockets. However, in the center where the tire is in relation to the drive unit, the drive is much lower profile because all that is located in that region is the framework for the drive, not the pulleys,etc.

Am I making any sence? :mrgreen:

Matt

Hi Matt,

yes i totally understand what you are saying and im hoping still to use the base of the drive as is :) - howver the only thing that concerns me a litle with the current gb format is the exposed gears and belts and chains??
I also think that it could be much more compact - if you look at Garys Hacker gb thats more in tune with what i envision but with 2 extra sideplates to cover the workings and maybe make it a little thinner again.
I dont get why the spacing between one side of a shaft and the other has to be so big? im thinking maybe 2" between them is more than enough???

Cheers Matt,

D

deecanio said:
Hi Matt,

yes i totally understand what you are saying and i'm hoping still to use the base of the drive as is :) - however the only thing that concerns me a little with the current gb format is the exposed gears and belts and chains??
I also think that it could be much more compact - if you look at Gary's Hacker gb thats more in tune with what i envision but with 2 extra sideplates to cover the workings and maybe make it a little thinner again.

I don't get why the spacing between one side of a shaft and the other has to be so big? i'm thinking maybe 2" between them is more than enough???

Cheers Matt,

D

Hi D,

Why don't you put a cover over the belts and chains, similar to your battery box (or use chainguards)?
file.php

The thickest part is the motor plus the belt sprockets (neither of which can be reduced).

You want the "links" thinner? I'm not sure that would offer sufficient support for the shafts.

The bearing tubes are 2 and 1/2 inches long. So, that 2.5 inches, plus the thickness of gears and pulleys puts it up at 4 inches or so wide. That is the overall width, not the width between the pulleys. :D

A smaller drive is possible. Even my recumbent drive is smaller than this (but only by a bit). Durability and universal use for various applciations is what I am designing this after.

Gary's drive is small and elegent. But, as he mentioned, the gears stripped. There is a certain minimum space required to pass a given amount of power reliably. Certainly a 1kw drive could be made much smaller. Or a drive that is not reconfigurable could be a bit smaller. But, again, heavy duty drive components take up a given amount of space.

I wish I had your bike in front of me so I could come up with the perfect solution to your system. :wink:

Matt

Hi guys,

yes mine is a pita as usual.
I realise there must be certain limits as to how small we can go and obviously there will never be a one drive fits all solution, i think matts drive is the dogs, but im not sure i can fit it - 4" is fairly wide, once i get my bike back i will be able to get some decent measurements and see where we go from there. im going to order the crank arms and the eno as i think they are both certs, then i can put the arms on the bb incorrectly so both face in the same direction, that way i can measure between the crank arms and have the maximum width known.
Yes i wish you were my neighbour matt :) even the same country would do ;)
im desperate to have some of matts work on my bike and i think we'll get there eventually it will just take some re-jiging of the current setup (will you have full assembly pics soon matt?).
btw matt are you fiiting the gb to your mtb and have you figured out how to mount for it yet?
im hoping i can get this all sorted for next year so i'll be ordering a lot of parts soon, i'll post a list of bits and bobs im ordering this weekend so you guys can give me the thumbs up or not or let me know parts i've missed.

Mitch, how would you cover the moving parts on the edrive in it's current format???
i could just mount to the downtube as i said but im worried about the exposed moving parts as i said in the other thread??

Cheers,

D

My recumbents both have 4.9 inches between crank arms. My mountain bike has 6 inches between crank arms. Therefore, the drive is 4 inches overall. There are a couple ways to reduce that a bit. But, I am pushing for the narrowest layout that is still strong and not too terrible to manufacture. :)

Yes, this drive will be mounted to my mountain bike. The drive unit mounts are being machined over the next few days. It is a clamp to hold the bearing tube with a "T" shaped top to be welded or bolted to a frame. Each bike will require some custom bracket fabrication or welding to mount the drive. However, I am doing my best to make it as easy to mount as possible while remaining universal.

On my bike, the drive will be mounted in front of the frame "Downtube" just in front of the bottom bracket probably in layed out format. I am torn between welding the mount to the frame and making bolt on mounts. We shall see!

Matt

Hi All,

Just to let you all know that my build has now moved to the non-hub section.
I'm going for an RC setup for this season and will start work on the bike very shortly.
I think as a last post on this thread i will post up my last hub ride and show what happens if you treat your hub as roughly as we did :lol:
i'll post the video when i get home - i hope no one worries about their hubs as this was only the result after some very serious abuse all day and for general use hubs are still the best way to go imho, especially for beginners (like me) :mrgreen:
link to new build here............
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=7992&p=120867#p120867
video of death of a hub to follow!!!

Cheers all, hopefully have some new pics as i build the rc setup soon :mrgreen:

D

thread ressurection!!!!

Thought i might use the old hubbie thread being as the old girl is now rocking a HS3540 , will post up some pics once i get the bike home and all done, Jozz is beavering away on my Lyen 12 fet and has weaved his magic again for me with a box repair (old holes gone) repaint with powder coat, we are using the box itself as the heatsink for the Lyen, so out of case and well sunk for its little 70a mod :) i've finally sucumbed to lipo and this season the Kona is sporting 8 x turningy packs 4s2p complete with charger/balancers and psu's, i'll post shots once i get all the gear back home from Jozz's workshop.

In other news...................................

Happy birthday to me, happy birthday to me, happy birthday dear Deeeeeeeeeec, happy birthday to me!!

Ooooooooh, love you wifey, best present ever................................

Attachments

• IMG_0297 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0297 (Small).JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 2,341
8) 8) 8)

Happy Birthday mate!! brilliant stuff!! great news on all your toys as well, no excuses now mate when the bike comes back :mrgreen: weather has turned a little wetter but it still only early May, this April summer has fooled us!!

Have a great day today and enjoy playing with the cam, perhaps you should bolt it to the normal mountain bike and take that in to the woods for a test video :lol: erm hang on.. 40yo...20 a day smoker...nah wait till the motor turns up :wink: :wink:

Thanks guys!!!!

Yeh had crossed my mind Knoxie, but maybe i'll hold on until im "assisted" ;)
Wifey did really well, tricked me by giving me my cards and smaller gifts first then pretended it was all over, then i went to make a brew and next to the kettle was a "final" present, the awesome go pro, in naked format and with chesty mount, exactly as i'd have chosen myself!!!
will be playing with the gopro later this afternoon :mrgreen: - off to Jozzers some soon so not too long to wait for ride footage!!!
Miles, yor welcome to come down to Steve's if you want? i think you'd really enjoy seeing the various projects at Steves to see all he gets up to, let me know if either want to come??? i'll take some quality pics of the many projects he has on the go so you can all see.

Gotta run, lunch with freinds and more calls of thanks to make.

D

deecanio said:
"final" present, the awesome go pro, in naked format and with chesty mount, exactly as i'd have chosen myself!!!
Does this mean we can look forward to first person shots of a re-enactment of this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6H7HkjcEvBs :lol:

Actually looking forward to seeing some more awesome video :) . These go pros seem to be spreading like wildfire.

Happy Birthday Andy!
Poor old fella.. he was young once you know..

:D

Jozz

lolz, tiz true, although now i've accepted my age limitations i've opted to resort to a slow old hub assist :mrgreen: i'll leave the madness to the younger members here :lol:
Yes footage up real soon Ricky, wildfire indeed, Mr Go Pro will be somewhere on his yacht laughing his ass off, still he seemed like a great guy on the vid and i always love it when someone makes a mint following what they love in life, im sure i'll be blagging a week on Jozz's yacht at some point :D
Miles, will pm you some dates soon, I'll cc you too Knoxie.
Thanks fo the wishes all, great day so far!!

D

Hey Jozz nice to see any post from ya! hope your are well buddy!!

Bet you had a few drinkies last night then Deec? I know I did :lol: was at a 5th birthday party and got ratted... before anyone says 5th birthday party? ha ha it was for my sisters business :lol: so no playing with bikes and cameras for me but will soon.

We dont want arm scraping repeats with the new bike Deec, just some nice footage from the forest will do just nice, cant wait to see the new bike and would also love to meet up with everyone and Jozzer again at some point that would be so great 8)

Looking forward to seeing some video from you Deec you are quite well known for video for all the wrong reasons (that's partly my fault) ha ha, lets try and put that one right :mrgreen:

hehehehe, yeh you know sometimes i go out and ride withought a stack :lol:
Jozz just sent me some box shots of the new lid and contents, just a preliminary fitting so we can check all is well before painting, wheel is done, so we should be all wrapped up v soon.
I took some footage in the car the other day, just dull stuff but i wanted to see how the go pro dealt with blur at speed (awesomely) and also how long a 2GB card would last at the favoured r3 setting ;)
its nice and crisp as you'd expect but not really worth showing, the 2GB card me roughly 20mins footage all told so i've ordered up a 16GB card, i make that good for roughly two hours and thats way more than enough as i empty the cam after i return more or less everytime, ride,record,edit,delete.
i have been sneaking around the go pro site at the extras, that Greg has a lot to answer for showing me that LCD on his thread - had to order one too :mrgreen: it will be a lot to easier to set up 3rd person views now, didn't really see much else i wanted so i'm happy at that, i did think about and probably will get the assortment of mounts at some point, although i have chesty mount and also there seems to be an adhesive mount as standard, thinking that will probably go on my lid, if it's sticky enough!!
Stand by, stinky nearly ready to rock again and go pro at the ready!!!!

D

Hey Y, thanks man.

Yeh back to the newest version of the old school :lol: i should have listened to you way back once i'd blown my 2nd bmc and given the 4 series a shot, still im with xlyte hub now so hopefully a full season of just thrashing.
I'm still intent on making the next build rc, i have everything i need including one of Matts fine slipper clutches, in anodised black natch, but i'm going to take my time with that and get it super sweet, probably ask Timma for a special frame build ;)
In the meantime i cant let Greg and Jay have all the fun, me and knoxie need to hold up the UK end for vids and skids!!!

D

Hi All,

Having returned the kona to frock i find i cant afford to move my kit over to a custom bike :(
Still my loss is someone else's gain.......................

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=28147

in other news.........................

D

Attachments

• 100_1625 (Small).JPG
    100_1625 (Small).JPG
    74 KB · Views: 2,852
  • 100_1624 (Small).JPG
    100_1624 (Small).JPG
    50 KB · Views: 2,787
8) 8)

Hey great buddy!! wont be long now then will it?? glad the cameras all working as well, no excuses now for some ripping videos out in the woods, I also picked up a chest mount today as well, nice to have options isnt it.

See you are selling the RC kit, you could build one hell of a little hub monster with the money from the sale of those bits, if you do want to go with stupid power at any time in the future I have one of these in my loft, see Lukes video to see what they can do ha ha.

http://www.cloudelectric.com/product_p/mo-lemco-130.htm

MO-Lemco-130-2T.jpg

Guys,

Been looking for a screw on freewheel, im after an 11t/12t as smallest sprocket but most if not all seem to be 14t for starters? , I mistakenly ordered a splined shimano 7spd mega range 12-32 but it's splined , im looking for something as similair as poss but screw on?
im not looking for a 9spd as i have limited room on the hub, probably 7 would be best, any ideas?

D

deecanio said:
Guys,

Been looking for a screw on freewheel, im after an 11t/12t as smallest sprocket but most if not all seem to be 14t for starters? , I mistakenly ordered a splined shimano 7spd mega range 12-32 but it's splined , im looking for something as similair as poss but screw on?
im not looking for a 9spd as i have limited room on the hub, probably 7 would be best, any ideas?

D
Hi D
Have a word with justin I think he has them in stock I'm sending you a PM with more info.
Confirmed he does have them in stock go to the store page of his web site and put Freewheel into the search box there.

Geoff

Back