Deecanios first build the "DC1"

Cheers Geoff,
I cant believe i have to order one from ebikes.ca, not that theres an issue with getting anything from Justin, just the delay is annoying :evil:
By the way, for anyone running the clyte HS/T3540's - what is the thread size of the axel nuts?? 12mm but what pitch? looking on ebay to get some nuts (insert joke here AJ) and washers but they come in 1.25/1.5/1.75 thread pitch, which do i need?
Honestly what a pullava just to get a freewheel and some nuts!!
If anyone knows hit me up and i can order from work ;) - damn shame on the freewheel - does anyone know a screw on freewheel that will fit in 135mm dropouts with a 3540 that starts from something less than a 14t?

i found this : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Zenith-7-speed-screw-freewheel-13-21-/180709096822?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item2a1319fd76

starts at 13t but i do have a 52t front chainring, i am right in thinking that normally an MTB has 22/32/42 front, so the best they can do for top end is 42/11 = 3.818 whereas because i have a 52 i could do 52/13 = 4?

D

hi all,

i need some help with the wiring now im finally looking at the bike again, all mechanical work is done bar changing to a 7 speed rear and a smaller 3 ring setup up front, torque arms are bolted through frame, phase mods done, rides nice and smooth on pedals only.
So, wiring, im going to have a go myself but just a quick sanity check, been so long since i looked at a hub and controller.
wiring check please, this is on a standard 12 fet lyen controller:

1. controller power, what is the smaller red cable for?
2. brake inhibit? if so i'll connect the kill switch to it, no pack cut off this build :shock:
3. what is the looped white for? i dont think i need it but nice to know what it does.
4. no idea what this 5 pin connector is for ?
5. ca connection 6 pin

i think Steve has done the throttle/phase/halls colours for me but i cant find liks to check so if you know the colours for all for connecting a 12 fet lyen to a hs 3540 please link me.
this thread is becoming a yawn, time to finish it and start getting some ride vids up.

D

thx Y,

ill cut off the small white wire, but want to use the inhibit for the handlebar kill switch and lvc - it is the black and yellow cables yes?
5 pin taped off, will need later - where do i get the cable and software for programming the lyen?
Anyone know where theres a colour diagram for halls and phase for lyen 12 fet to hs 3540?
Just checking pack setup with knoxie and jozz and then im wiring, i'll ride by the end of next week!

D

Guys,

Couple of quick refreshers please:

Wiring up, what are the correct combos for HS3540 and 12 fet sensored Len?
i saw on a similair setup:

HALLS:

Balck to Black
Red to Red
Yellow to Yellow
Green to Blue
Blue to Green

PHASE:

Yellow to Blue
Green to Green
Blue to Yellow

Are these correct? Greg?

Also my throttle colours from the Lyen are Red, Black, Green........ but my thumb throttle is Red, Black, White - simple as marry the reds and blacks and green to white?

I've had a look at my packs and i havent touched them in months, amazingly everything is very good, all 3.82v ish with a max of 3.85 and a min of 3.77 - being as i havent even used these should i charge them to 4.1v to start with and also what should i not let them fall below?
Have to hook them up and charge them later and also finish the wiring..................

Cheers,
D

Hey you almost ready for a test ride then :D :D cant answer the phase combos but 3.3 to 3.4V is a safe LVC I actually stop at 3.5V and my packs are still 100% after 2 years of daily use charging to 4.1V max :p get that Gopro charged up then mate, we must meet up this year for a ride, I can come to you.

Guys, help please!!
I connected up at 36v and ca is coming up but no response to throttle?
I only have a multimeter at my disposal -
Phase = green to green
Blue to yellow
Yellow to blue
Halls = red to red
Black to black
Yellow to yellow
Blue to green
Green to blue

I have a ebikes.ca thumb wired like this:

Red to red
Black to black
White to green

Controller is Lyon 12 fet motor is hs3540 - any ideas?
Keep it simple pls :)

Oh and how does the black and yellow brake inhibit work - I'm connecting to kill switch so I've just been trying on/off anyway.
My pc is down so I can't see any doc, anything simple I can try?
Oh and the two white wires for regen are disconnected, need an ebike tester :(

D

Hi all
Thanks for all the responses :lol:
So jozz talked me through testing my throttle, I've tried all combos of halls and phase and still not even a judder?
What the hell am I doing wrong?
I know the controller is powering up, the throttle has 5v and 1-4 on twist but nothing?
I've tried phase combos etc I've checked ca lvc all look ok, is there something I'm missing on Setup either with the ca or the lyen, need a steer pls guys, pretty please?

D

Hi Deecanio
Spacey is selling/sold an hs motor an 12fet lyen in the used section, think he ran this setup for a while it might be worth a trawl through his build thread or a pm, mabe he encountered the same probs. Just a thought.
Good luck

Craig

700 replies and 48,000 views.... and still not a working ebike....... :eek:

---

edit : My X5 and infineon have green on green, yellow and blue swapped.. does not mean clyte kept the YBG on the hs/ht series like they did the 4 and X5 series tho...

what is your pack voltgage ?.. and what is the controller's cutoff value ?

make sure black and yellow ebrake , are not touching, open circuit means not-in-use...

Disconnect the CA Deec - just in case..

And yeah, what's pack voltage?

Gimmi a call again in the afternoon if your still flummoxed..

Jozz

Thx guys, feeling the love again :)
I know Y, it's the longest build in history, I leave it so long to do anything on this bike that I forget how I set up all those years ago :lol:
The ebrake is open circuit, nothing connected, I've been testing with just 2 packs - 37v, as far as I could see looking through the ca settings lvc looks like its set at 19v, I guess I could use a third pack to make test at 54v but I'll disconnect ca first and see what happens, all I've seen sais halls should have blue/green crossed and phase should have blue/yellow crossed which could well be right, being as I haven't had a judder at the wheel I'm thinking it must be troller/ca issue.
Will go and try with ca disconnected.
It's not helping that my pc is down, 2 windows updates resulted in failing to boot and all my doc is on there, thx Microsoft, cnuts.

Cheers guys

D

:mrgreen:

Just needed to add another pack :lol:
Thx guys, awesome, so re educate me, if adding a pack and leaving the ca connected worked just fine then it must be controller lvc setting? Either way thanks chaps, time to solder up and then get my bloody of sorted so I can start programming, now where's that go pro gone? :D

D

the controller has a hard set LVC, you can set a higher value in the CA and it will shut down your throttle at that voltage but the CA canot override the lower voltage that the controller has on board. :wink:

Same for max amps... you can set 100 amps on the CA if you want, but the controller will only deliver it's max as delivered.. typical lyen controller is 35 amps unless you plug in the usb thingy and adjust settings or solder up the shunt..

Thought for the day.Whenever I see your name i cant help picturing that crash you had with knoxie .Well i hope this image will will blur soon when you get this bike finished and post some vids :idea: :lol:

hey D, just found your thread. sorry.

you have this combo, and the motor is still running backwards??

Lyen 12Fet Controller > HS3540 motor wiring combinations wrote:
HALLS

Y >Y
G>B
B>G

PHASE
Y>B
G>G
B>Y

as i said in my PM, don't try to reprogram the controller after you get the setup running first and determine it's necessary! it's already been programmed once, and that only needs to be done if you want to change settings...

as for the small red wire, that NEEDS to be on a switch line (or permanently connected to the big red line) for the controller to turn on... I wasn't clear if you figured that out yet or not. If the CA is coming on, then the controller is ON... did you add an 'ignition' switch there?

as for LVC, this is important... can we see pics of your pack? is it all wired up? apologies if you've already posted them. chances are that the controller won't run if you're hooking it up to only 10s or less than 60V... make the full pack and don't bother testing it till that's done.

i'm subscribed now, so getting you running will be my full time job from now on.

Hi Greg,

Thx for the pm, yup I have exactly that setup for halls and phase but the wheel runs backward, I need to try swapping my phase around till it runs the correct way, I tried a few combos but only got as far as correct rotation judder before I ran out of time for the day.
Small red wire is on with the main red, ca works fine, my issue was indeed I was trying to run with only 10s so adding a third pack sorted that.
As the bike stands everything is good I just need to reverse the direction and get my packs charged, I need to hook up my lvc boards too, not too tricky but they link up as do my packs so I can parallel charge - once we get to that stage I'll need some major, parallel charging is something I don't really get but I'm happy to charge in a manner I understand just to get riding again, hopefully I'll be able to disassociate myself from that infamous flip :lol:
I'm planning on having a 50a maxi fuse inline with the controller and I'm wiring my kill switch to the brake inhibit on the controller, I should probably have a pack kill but I don't have room, I'm having everything inside so I can ride in the wet, will update soon with some pics, I'm getting close to being out :
Thx for all the help guys - my pc is fubar'ed at the mo so I'm replying and posting with iPhone all my doc including lyen doc and software is on that machine too :( I'm spitting feathers at the timing, Fukien Microsoft!!

D

if you have 8x5s packs, you need to make 4 pairs out of them first. to do so, you'll just grab two of them, attach the white jst-xh balance connectors to your lvc board and then instead of having two 5s 5AH packs, you'll have one 10Ah pack!

here's a graphic (for only 15s) i did ages ago, but yours will be a bit different if you're using lvc boards:
file.php

and i don't know what your charging plan is.

i'd actually suggest using gloves to plug in your stuff until you really understand parallel vs series stuff. :lol:

anyway, back to your reverse motor issue, look at the controller and tell us the lyen model number. and send us a couple pics of the phase/hall wire connections. or you can just email me direct if easier..

g

Hi All,

Long time no see :lol:
Does anyone have a 7spd 11-32 screw on cassette at all - i want the one ebikes.ca do but shipping is way more than the part - anyone help at all? its for my hs 3540 on standard 135 drops.

D

hehehehe thx Y, i have a 15t which i'll use to start as its already on and working fine but i want to assist at higher speed.
All i need is some LVC's which jozz is getting for me (methys board) then i'll take her for a spin. i agree you dont need all those useless gears, but i only run 3 speed all at the front, just want a 13 or so at the back to give me more assist top end.
**blows dust off bike and go pro**
Once i get her running i'm likely to sell, i fancy something new ;)

D

Item for sale: SRAM 3 spd dual drive hub:

http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=44253

D

Shameless Plug .....................

http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=54078

First come first served!!!!

D

Back