DIY Gone Awry!

Kingfish

100 MW
Redmond, WA-USA, Earth, Sol, Orion–Cygnus Arm, Mil
Ye gads! I was looking for something completely different and I ran across this business.

Home Made Air Conditioner

F7701REFT3K6N2T.LARGE.jpg

Definitely a must-read after killing a 12-pack of swill :p

Too hokey for me - though worth a laugh :lol:
Enjoy, KF

Its not as low cost to run as they might think when they take into the consideration of the energy required to make the ice or cool the freezer pack etc.
I am more interested in heat pumps and pelteir coolers.

For anyone who is laughing at this, it is for college students. they often do not have central air-conditioning, but their rooms do have a 110V outlet and there is an ice machine down the hallway. If you are in that situation, you can take a 40-gallon trash can, fill it 3/4ths with ice and saltwater. Then circulate the water in the copper tube with an aquarium water pump...all of the system is low ampewrage.

You may ask why they just don't buy a window unit? but the only outlet isn't 220V and it is too low an amp rating to run a window air conditioner without tripping the breaker. The college doesn't want the students to run up huge electric bills cooling their rooms, and they don't care if they get hot at night.

Such a cooling unit won't freeze the room, but it is better than nothing when you have few resources...

I've certainly kludged up less practical things that still did what I wanted. Y'all oughta go look at my water heater thread. :p

Seems like you could just position the fan to blow air on the container of ice water and yield slightly better thermal efficiency (no waste heat from the pump).

That's why I lived in stadium dormitory my first year. The walls were 3 feet thick concrete, so it was constant temperature.

Back