Downhill project motorcycle transmission

Drum said:
Something like this perhaps.. http://www.horracing.com/product_info.php?products_id=483&osCsid=al52dct37ckco4krmbqkgl9q46

looks promising to me: best thermal contact between the can of the motor and the cooling water, and quite small on the outside diameter. Might need the ports shifted to suit the particular application.
The outside of the motor would have to be clean and smooth for the o-rings to seal well (although a wipe of silicone grease would help seal them) and possibly it would be a good idea to run antifreeze / corrosion inhibiter. If the outside of the motor was painted, there would be some advantage to removing the paint before installing the jacket to get the best heat transfer. There is also a possibility that the paint would blister or flake off if permanently surrounded by water and / or antifreeze.
Dave

thats a much better option :mrgreen:

we already have touch on this type of jacket within this thread on about page 8 .. :D

Fascinating thread. From what I can see of your construction you are running without a clutch, how do you find shifting clutchless through the bike box?

Doesn't the ability to trip/kill/stop the motor with a signal at shift negate the need for a clutch? Isn't the clutch needed so the ICE motor doesn't have to stop?
...I guess that would be the point in maintaining optimal rpm through shifts, irrespective of motor type?

r3volved said:
Doesn't the ability to trip/kill/stop the motor with a signal at shift negate the need for a clutch? Isn't the clutch needed so the ICE motor doesn't have to stop?
...I guess that would be the point in maintaining optimal rpm through shifts, irrespective of motor type?

Well AFAIK the clutch in an ICE will also take the pressure from the driveline away from the transmission allowing for smooth gear changes without load on all them little sprockets inside the gearbox. In some motorcycles and on dirtbikes they uses heavy duty parts inside transmission to allow for upshifts without clutch, and some even downshifts without clutch. I think what is known as dog shift box is also allowing shifts without clutch. But shifting ain't smooth but fast and effective.

For an e-bike there will not be need for clutch because it is similar to dog shift on race cars. But if you try to change gear rapidly going up a steep hill with max torque things might break ;)

very interesting. It is rare to see a gearbox electric bike, and I have read a bit about the often challenging downshifting that occurs on an EV car conversion which utilises a clutchless gearbox, which is why I wondered if the same issues would occur in a bike.

Back